Yulli's

Modern Australian cuisine. Sample dishes include stir fry vegetable, ginger dumpling, crepe, and pizza. Has vegan desserts. Also offers a banquet-tasting menu for 4 or more people.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Australian

First Review by thelink

Cute vegetarian restaurant/bar in the heart of Surry Hills (vegan/gf options) - Edit

Hip vegetarian restaurant/bar on Crown Street in the heart of Surry Hills.

Separate vegan and gluten-free menus available. Staff are generally knowledgeable of menus and dietary requirements.

Must try:
- Dumplings
- ALL of the desserts! Amazing :)
- 14 manners tempranillo
- Stone and Wood Lager

Pros: Separate vegan food and wine menus, Great location, Hip vibe

Cons: Small portions, Noisy, Limited parking

Salt and pepper tofu! - Edit

I have been here a few times and the salt and pepper tofu is my favourite!

I found trying to read the gluten free menu and the vegan menu confusing as you have to pick dishes that are on both menus. Would be easier if they just labelled which dishes were vegan and gluten on the one menu.

On the different occasions that I have been here, the service wasn't that great. We were sitting right near the bar and they kept forgetting about us.

Pros: Vegan menu

Cons: The service

Amazing Experience - Edit

Yulli's has a great vibe! Food was amazing and atmosphere was just as good. We had the dumplings, money bags, crepes and salt and pepper tofu and all were flawless. Only regret is that we were too full to try dessert!

Good but room for improvement - Edit

I was quite excited about Yulli's and I did enjoy it overall but they could improve.

It was very busy and I hadn't booked so had the choice of a high table near the bar or a table outside. I chose outside. It took a good 5 minutes for someone to even bring me a menu! The tables outside are very close together so don't choose these if you want a romantic meal for two. Fortunately I was on my own and had little choice but to listen to the animated conversations either side of me :)

Once I had the menu, all of the food sounded great but no vegan options marked. When a server came back quite a while later to take my order I asked what was vegan. Only then was I told there's a separate vegan menu! Would've been good to know this at the start. So eventually I got round to ordering. I didn't think the vegan options were that great and whilst my Vietnamese Crepe was tasty, it was nothing amazing.

I think if you're veggie then definitely go here. The food being served either side of me looked fab.

I did enjoy the vegan dessert - a date and walnut cake.

Quaint, tasty, good find - Edit

We discovered this place after a google search for vegan restaurants in Sydney. Our first option was Bodhi in the Park, but it was closed. We wanted something romantic for our anniversary, and upon checking out the website and reading some reviews we went ahead and booked this place.
Upon arrival, Yulli's looked like a romantic little place with lots of quirky characteristics. I liked the street scene and the ambience in the front, but despite our booking, we were put in the hallway with the LED fairy lights, right outside the kitchen. The fake grass on the walls was pretty tacky and the window next to the kitchen was filthy, with boxes and containers stuck up against it. We'd driven for about 7 hours during the day to get to Sydney, so after negotiating the menu I asked if we could be seated somewhere else. The waiter tried to find us a spot and said they were fully booked, but if something came up, he'd let us know. I'm sure that during the day it would be fine, or if the roof was open, but it was impossible to see the menu and it was in stark contrast to the soft lighting out the front. I felt a bit disappointed but we had nowhere else to go for dinner, so we made the most of it.
We ordered the salt and pepper tofu and wonton cups for entrees and both had the the quinoa patties with ratatouille for a main. Dessert was the sticky date pudding. The menu wasn't clearly labelled, so we found that we had to check for the vegan options by going onto the webpage by using our phones. The waiting staff seemed too busy to spend a lot of time with us, so we had to try and decipher it ourselves.
Our entrees came out and they were quite nice. Nothing to rave about, but they hit the spot and had a lot of good flavours. Afterwards, our waiter came to tell us there was a table out the back. We headed out there to find three little tables in a small room with the same sort of lighting and ambience as out the front. Phew! Much better.
I could see much better and immediately felt happier with the space. Our mains came out soon afterwards. The quinoa was well cooked, but the ratatouille was very hot, almost unedible…but then I'm not a fan of really spicy food. Dessert was fantastic, really delicious, and I'd have easily eaten two serves.
On reflection, it was a nice little place but probably not somewhere I'd go for a special occasion. The vegan options weren't as plentiful as appeared on the menu online, and the staff were pretty casual overall, but a nice spot to visit.

Pros: Good Desserts, Fair prices, Nice atmosphere (at the right table)

Cons: Vegan options aren't labelled on menu, Casual approach from staff, Hallway is not nice spot to eat

I don't always eat asian... - Edit

Except at Yullis!

The food is alright, not too expensive and the portions are a little small to about right. There is a fantastic list of vegan beer!

My bugbear is that the vegan options are nearly all asian inspired foods - I would appreciate a few more european and middle eastern inspired vegan options, a few more vegan dessert options would not go astray either.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Great vegan beer list

Cons: Vegetarian, not vegan, Not a lot of vegan dessert options, Western food mostly non vegan

Good but not great - Edit

I've been here a few times, most recently 27/01/2013 and I think of this as a decent place. It it has a tidy modern decor but appears to try for a slightly funky image. (We laughed when they played "F*** the Police" by NWA. It seemed a bit incongruous with the otherwise white, middle-class atmosphere.) The menu is on the interesting side with about a third of the mains vegan. You can request a separate vegan menu, which is useful and lists everything including vegan wines and beers. I ordered the Vietnamese crepe which was nice, filled mainly with mushrooms and corn and accompanied by a spicy dipping sauce. My partner and friend both ordered the haloumi bagel and my partner reported the haloumi was too thick. I took the opportunity afterwards to order the vegan sticky date pudding (I hardly ever get the chance) with coconut milk ice cream and as far as I'm concerned it was delicious, although my partner felt it was too "cakey" and not sticky enough. Staff were friendly but I felt like it took me a while to get attention from them, not because they were busy but because they were chatting amongst themselves. All in all this is a good place with reasonable prices and I'll continue to come when I'm in Sydney.

Pros: Separate vegan menu available, Vegan desserts (+coconut milk ice cream), Awesome old-school West Coast hip-hop :P

Cons: Small proportion of menu vegan, Inattentive staff on this occasion

funky bar with interesting and tasty food - Edit

We tried four of the share plates - pretty much everything without dairy. All were excellent and had distinct flavours. The spiced mulled wine on the specials list was also excellent.

Pros: great food, varied cuisine, open late

Cons: seats not so comfortable

Try the banquet - Edit

Yulli's is a great place to take non-veg friends. They have a great (4 person) banquet available for a minimum of 4 people for $30 or $35 per person - this involves the dumplings, felafel, haloumi, arrancini, pizza, tofu with papaya salad, another salad, and a dessert share place. Pretty sure I've forgotten some other things too. Its very filling and delicious! Try it! love this place! also their desserts are amazing- especially the vegan ones.

Hip Valentine's spot - Edit

My parents and I went to Yulli's on Valentine's Day after securing a lucky, last-minute booking. Needless to say, we were the only group of 3 in the entire packed restaurant. Yulli's is a funky place in an equally funky area. It has a courtyard out back and outdoor seating in the front. To start, we ordered the ginger dumplings, which were a nice zingy beginning to the meal. For our mains, I shared the lentil crepe and the stir-fried veges with my mother, while my dad ordered the pizza. The crepe was yummy, the veges a bit rudimentary, and the pizza (apparently) too olive-y but with a nice thin crust. For dessert, we all shared the sticky date pudding and a lychee tapioca dessert. Both were delicious and served with a great coconut ice cream. Lovely meal, even without the romance!

Pros: Cool area, Interesting, modern Australian cusine

Cons: A bit on the expensive side, Small portions

Honestly disappointed - Edit

The vegetarian menu did not indicate if something was vegan, so we asked and were given a reduced menu that had vegan on one side and gluten free on the other. Big help but odd way to do it. The lighting was so dim, we used our phones as torches. My husband and I chose polenta and tofu dishes. The food was ok and certainly cheap but I could have eaten 2 main courses myself and I am a vegetarian. The waiters were sweet but very unprofessional - they struggled to carry 2 plates. The place had loud music playing and was full so it was simply noisy. Nothing to rave about and it would have been nice to have seen what I was eating - it was way too dark.

Pros: Vegan menu available, Cheap, Central location

Cons: Noisy, Hard to park, Slow and unprofessional waiters

Trendy veggie wine bar in funky neighbourhood - Edit

Having heard a lot about this place I shepherded my vegan husband and 5 friends (ranging from the vegetarian to the carnivorous) to Yulli's on the night of my 30th birthday. It's in a very boho neighbourhood and makes a lovely walk from the centre of Sydney along Crown street lined with bars and boutiques. Yulli's was not a disappointment - it had a trendy wine bar vibe with a good varied menu and a separate menu for vegans, as well as a good choice of vegan wine & beer. Food was varied and unusual (my husband & his omnivore friend both said the bitter melon pancakes topped with thai curry were the best meal they'd ever had) and service was friendly and efficient. Downsides were that it was very cramped - they seemed to have gone for quantity of covers over comfort of diners, although I guess you can't blame a small business for that, pretty pricey and again didn't stay open as late as you'd expect on a Thursday in a 24-hr city! But still comes very highly recommended and well worth a visit - it's an unusual experience and very nice to be in a trendy wine bar that's all veggie :-)

Pros: Inventive tasty food, Great atmosphere, Fab concept

Cons: Quite expensive, Pretty cramped inside, Closes at 11pm

Just what surry hills needs - Edit

It's always a treat to go somewhere that has a separate vegan menu! I've been to yulli's a few times now and really enjoyed each occasion. The food is Asian fusion with salt & pepper tofu with papaya salad sitting next to a tasty fennel and polenta dish. We've always shared a couple of dishes, which works out well. They have very yummy mulled wine and what's not to like about a place that does a vegan sticky date pudding? (Really light and fluffy with a creamy coconut ice-cream - yum!)

Pros: Vegan desert!

My favourite veg place in Sydney - Edit

I love Yulli's - their food is incredible, and the restaurant/bar itself is excellently decorated and has a great vibe (and I know many people who have walked in off the street not knowing it doesn't serve meat!). They have a range of dishes that cater to both vegetarian and vegans (with a separate vegan menu so it doesn't get confusing). Have tried several of their dishes as a vegetarian and now some as a vegan too and they all have exceeded expectations. All my non-vego friends love it too.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great vibe

Cons: None!

Smart, veg*n bar - Edit

Yulli's fulfills a much needed niche in Sydney: a smart, cool bar where veg*ns can relax, feel "normal", and not have to search in vain for something to eat once they settle in for a couple of drinks. The food is above average for bar fare, and much of the menu is vegan (they have a separate vegan menu, if in doubt). The ginger dumplings were a special delight. We also had the salt and pepper tofu and spring rolls (they had run out of dolmades), which were really good, and not too oily. The tofu also came with a nice salad.

It's all table service there, and when I got up to order a drink they seemed a bit up-tight about that... maybe I'm just unused to going to swanky bars.

All in all, it was a great experience, and I was very grateful to be able to have a night out at a pub where I didn't have to explain myself, feel like a freak, and end up eating chips and a garden salad.

Pros: stylish, great food, one of a kind in Sydney

Cons: small

There is a separate vegan menu to make things easy - Edit

We enjoyed a wonderful walk from the center of town over to Yulli's Bar. The entire walk on a Saturday night was jam packed with young people spilling in and out of bars & restaurants. Yulli's was hosting a Christmas party in the back, but we enjoyed our outdoor seats to people watch and take in the whole scene. While we came here for after dinner drinks (make sure to grab a Skinny Blond Beer (Byron Bay) and watch the label as you finish your drink) we ended up having the mango sticky rice and coconut dessert, which was fantastic. The service and people behind the bar are amazing, and took care of us first over the Christmas Party going on in the back, clearing a table inside and holding it for us before the Xmas Party and us had to spill back inside as the outside areas close at a certain hour.

Pros: Skinny Blond Beer, Sticky Mango Rice, Service/outdoor seating

:) - Edit

I love this place. It's so cute. It's about time Sydney had a wine bar like this. Great selection of beers and wines. Great bar snacks (olives & edamame) and great food (the soft taco share place is really good and without sour cream is vegan, they also had a vegan rendang pie). Can be hard to get a table when it's busy, but it's well worth it. Really lovely aptmosphere. Has table service and you can pay at the end of the night. Great for a romantic date or a night out with friends. Can't wait to go there again!

Food a mixed bag... - Edit

Was very excited to visit, as I had heard great things about it. The place was a very interesting spot. Beautiful decor, great music, superb atmosphere. But the dining was less exciting. It really was a bit hit and miss. We tried about seven dishes all up, and only half hit the mark. The Edamame were very well steamed and tasty - though tiny portion. I also liked the Masaman curry dish, which was delicious, and the dumplings were well received. Less successful was the salad, which was pretty plain and boring, and the salt and pepper tofu, which I found extremely bland. The roast potatoes combo, which was very interesting as an idea (six different vegetables as "fries"), did not leap off the plate.

It's a pricey night out in a beautiful venue, which has its merits. But I won't be running back for the food....

Pros: great atmosphere, lovely music selection, friendly/knowledgeable staff

Cons: selection, food bland

Great night out - Edit

We only found out about Yulli's bar recently although it's been there for a few months.

And WOW! Finally Sydney has a trendy vegetarian venue where you can spend a great night out!

Yulli's is a smallish venue with some indoor and some outdoor courtyard seating. Definitely give them a ring to book a table to avoid missing out.

The decor is cool and cosy at the same time and the music just right.

Yulli's has an upmarket beer and wine menu but we didn't have any alcohol on our recent first visit so we actually don't know if all the beer and wine is vegetarian / vegan friendly. Cocktails are also available.

Now let's talk about food.

There is a selection of "dishes to share" as well as a selection of "mains". All dishes are vegetarian with enough vegan choices to keep us happy. There are also several desserts, only one of them vegan.

All dishes we chose were absolutely delicious and very well presented. We enjoyed a great cup of coffee with our dessert.

So get dressed up a bit and enjoy a great night out with friends or with your new hot date.

Great night out - Edit

The decor is cool and cosy at the same time and the music just right.

Now let's talk about food.

Return to Surry Hills Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yulli's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3189 times since Dec 2008.