Yulli's

Modern Australian cuisine. Sample dishes include stir fry vegetable, ginger dumpling, crepe, and pizza. Has vegan desserts. Also offers a banquet-tasting menu for 4 or more people. Open Mon-Wed 5:00pm-11:30pm, Thu-Sun 11:30am-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Australian

First Review by thelink

Chocolate Avocado Mousse šŸ¤¤ - Edit

Yullis is a small restaurant on Crown st. Better to call before going as it's always full.

they do have a special menu for vegan, dont forget to ask.

The Leek and ginger dumplings are yummy but my favourite dish on the menu is a dessert...
The chocolate avocado mousse is best dessert there. I tried all of them and I loved it. Keep some room if you can and Try it, you won't regret it !

By far my fav restaurant in Sydney - Edit

Not everything at Yullis is vegan however they have a wonderful vegan menu and everything is vegetarian.
My favourite dishes are the salt and pepper tofu and the coconut & edamame money bags! Take your girls for a fun night out or head there with you partner for a romantic dinner in the courtyard.
Karl and the team at Yullis catered my vegan wedding and it was superb! I cannot thank them enough!

Pros: Tapas style food, Amazing dishes, Good price for what you get

Trendy and busy - Edit

We went there on a Saturday night and it was very busy and the music was loud. We liked the vibe but nothing if you want a quite, intimate dinner. They have a separate vegan menu that you need to ask for.

We got a really good seat, they have a few further in to the restaurant on the way to the bathrooms/kitchen that didn't seem as nice.

The food was modern an quite fancy, so the prices were very reasonable, especially taking the area into account. I got a salt and pepper tofu with a peanut salad. The tofu was amazing and the salad was okay but VERY spicy and I am very weak with spice so that wasn't a hit for me. My date eat something with mushroom and silken tofu and that looked and tastes unreal. I had sticky date and banana pudding with coconut ice cream and it was to diiiie for, totally amazing.

All and all a pretty good experience if you are after a fun and lively dinner :)

decent - Edit

Ask for the vegan menu when walking in. It details all the options nicely. Had the chickpea and pita dish with coconut cream on top. Food was ok. It was packed just after opening. They make their own beer.

Pros: Vegan menu

Pretty good - Edit

Just had dinner here. I think they should've offered the dedicated vegan menu from the get-go instead of waiting until I was ready to order and asked about vegan options.

I reckon less than half the menu is natively vegan, but there were still plenty of options. We ordered the dumplings, the silken tofu over crispy noodles, the fried broccolini, and the roasted pumpkin with pea tendrils and kimchi. The food was pretty good overall. The only dish that I wouldn't recommend would be the pumpkin. It was an odd concoction of completed unrelated ingredients. Nothing complemented the others plus the kimchi wasn't even that good. Other than that, prices were fair and portion sizes were generous.

The atmosphere was lively (read: noisy). Without a reservation, we were seated at the bar. The shallow table and the small seats were a bit awkward.

Pros: good food, reasonably priced

Cons: bar seating a bit awkward

whole page of vegan options - Edit

Arrived at 5 p.m as they opened the doors and the service was friendly, helpful and efficient from the start. There was an extensive and dedicated vegan menu with many delicious options from breakfast to full 3 course meals with dessert plus a good range of beverages both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Great relaxed atmosphere and obviously very popular as almost full by the time we left. Reasonably priced for the area

Pros: Dedicated vegan menu

beautiful - Edit

nice restaurant, modern decor, tasty food, nice vibes, only criticism is that more of the menu should be vegan. there are a few options but not enough

Pros: tasty, nice atmosphere

Cons: a bit pricey, not enough vegan options

very good food - Edit

very good tasting vegan options and nicr atmosphere

Pros: lots of great options

Cons: pricey

Cute vegetarian restaurant/bar in the heart of Surry Hills (vegan/gf options) - Edit

Hip vegetarian restaurant/bar on Crown Street in the heart of Surry Hills.

Separate vegan and gluten-free menus available. Staff are generally knowledgeable of menus and dietary requirements.

Must try:
- Dumplings
- ALL of the desserts! Amazing :)
- 14 manners tempranillo
- Stone and Wood Lager

Pros: Separate vegan food and wine menus, Great location, Hip vibe

Cons: Small portions, Noisy, Limited parking

Salt and pepper tofu! - Edit

I have been here a few times and the salt and pepper tofu is my favourite!

I found trying to read the gluten free menu and the vegan menu confusing as you have to pick dishes that are on both menus. Would be easier if they just labelled which dishes were vegan and gluten on the one menu.

On the different occasions that I have been here, the service wasn't that great. We were sitting right near the bar and they kept forgetting about us.

Pros: Vegan menu

Cons: The service

Amazing Experience - Edit

Yulli's has a great vibe! Food was amazing and atmosphere was just as good. We had the dumplings, money bags, crepes and salt and pepper tofu and all were flawless. Only regret is that we were too full to try dessert!

Good but room for improvement - Edit

I was quite excited about Yulli's and I did enjoy it overall but they could improve.

It was very busy and I hadn't booked so had the choice of a high table near the bar or a table outside. I chose outside. It took a good 5 minutes for someone to even bring me a menu! The tables outside are very close together so don't choose these if you want a romantic meal for two. Fortunately I was on my own and had little choice but to listen to the animated conversations either side of me :)

Once I had the menu, all of the food sounded great but no vegan options marked. When a server came back quite a while later to take my order I asked what was vegan. Only then was I told there's a separate vegan menu! Would've been good to know this at the start. So eventually I got round to ordering. I didn't think the vegan options were that great and whilst my Vietnamese Crepe was tasty, it was nothing amazing.

I think if you're veggie then definitely go here. The food being served either side of me looked fab.

I did enjoy the vegan dessert - a date and walnut cake.

Quaint, tasty, good find - Edit

We discovered this place after a google search for vegan restaurants in Sydney. Our first option was Bodhi in the Park, but it was closed. We wanted something romantic for our anniversary, and upon checking out the website and reading some reviews we went ahead and booked this place.
Upon arrival, Yulli's looked like a romantic little place with lots of quirky characteristics. I liked the street scene and the ambience in the front, but despite our booking, we were put in the hallway with the LED fairy lights, right outside the kitchen. The fake grass on the walls was pretty tacky and the window next to the kitchen was filthy, with boxes and containers stuck up against it. We'd driven for about 7 hours during the day to get to Sydney, so after negotiating the menu I asked if we could be seated somewhere else. The waiter tried to find us a spot and said they were fully booked, but if something came up, he'd let us know. I'm sure that during the day it would be fine, or if the roof was open, but it was impossible to see the menu and it was in stark contrast to the soft lighting out the front. I felt a bit disappointed but we had nowhere else to go for dinner, so we made the most of it.
We ordered the salt and pepper tofu and wonton cups for entrees and both had the the quinoa patties with ratatouille for a main. Dessert was the sticky date pudding. The menu wasn't clearly labelled, so we found that we had to check for the vegan options by going onto the webpage by using our phones. The waiting staff seemed too busy to spend a lot of time with us, so we had to try and decipher it ourselves.
Our entrees came out and they were quite nice. Nothing to rave about, but they hit the spot and had a lot of good flavours. Afterwards, our waiter came to tell us there was a table out the back. We headed out there to find three little tables in a small room with the same sort of lighting and ambience as out the front. Phew! Much better.
I could see much better and immediately felt happier with the space. Our mains came out soon afterwards. The quinoa was well cooked, but the ratatouille was very hot, almost unedibleā€¦but then I'm not a fan of really spicy food. Dessert was fantastic, really delicious, and I'd have easily eaten two serves.
On reflection, it was a nice little place but probably not somewhere I'd go for a special occasion. The vegan options weren't as plentiful as appeared on the menu online, and the staff were pretty casual overall, but a nice spot to visit.

Pros: Good Desserts, Fair prices, Nice atmosphere (at the right table)

Cons: Vegan options aren't labelled on menu, Casual approach from staff, Hallway is not nice spot to eat

great food - Edit

last week we went to this great place - very good food at reasonable prices.

I don't always eat asian... - Edit

Except at Yullis!

The food is alright, not too expensive and the portions are a little small to about right. There is a fantastic list of vegan beer!

My bugbear is that the vegan options are nearly all asian inspired foods - I would appreciate a few more european and middle eastern inspired vegan options, a few more vegan dessert options would not go astray either.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Great vegan beer list

Cons: Vegetarian, not vegan, Not a lot of vegan dessert options, Western food mostly non vegan

Good but not great - Edit

I've been here a few times, most recently 27/01/2013 and I think of this as a decent place. It it has a tidy modern decor but appears to try for a slightly funky image. (We laughed when they played "F*** the Police" by NWA. It seemed a bit incongruous with the otherwise white, middle-class atmosphere.) The menu is on the interesting side with about a third of the mains vegan. You can request a separate vegan menu, which is useful and lists everything including vegan wines and beers. I ordered the Vietnamese crepe which was nice, filled mainly with mushrooms and corn and accompanied by a spicy dipping sauce. My partner and friend both ordered the haloumi bagel and my partner reported the haloumi was too thick. I took the opportunity afterwards to order the vegan sticky date pudding (I hardly ever get the chance) with coconut milk ice cream and as far as I'm concerned it was delicious, although my partner felt it was too "cakey" and not sticky enough. Staff were friendly but I felt like it took me a while to get attention from them, not because they were busy but because they were chatting amongst themselves. All in all this is a good place with reasonable prices and I'll continue to come when I'm in Sydney.

Pros: Separate vegan menu available, Vegan desserts (+coconut milk ice cream), Awesome old-school West Coast hip-hop :P

Cons: Small proportion of menu vegan, Inattentive staff on this occasion

everyone at everything! - Edit

I took 3 meat eaters here and they were very impressed. One of the best dinners in Sydney.

Pros: great food, great service, great atmosphere

funky bar with interesting and tasty food - Edit

We tried four of the share plates - pretty much everything without dairy. All were excellent and had distinct flavours. The spiced mulled wine on the specials list was also excellent.

Pros: great food, varied cuisine, open late

Cons: seats not so comfortable

Return to Surry Hills Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Yulli's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.