The Green Valley

• Vegetarian
Contact 015394-35317

Easedale, Grasmere, Grasmere, England, LA22 9QL

Certified organic vegetarian (mostly vegan) restaurant inside the Lancrigg Hotel. Open to non hotel guests for lunch and evening meals. Serves freshly made food, cakes, some organic ingredients, extensive organic wines. Will accommodate requests. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, English

First Review by marcstevens

Good food but not the best overall experience - Edit

We went there in winter, stayed the night in their rather cold B&B and dined in the restaurant. My starter, root vegetable rosti, wasn't as crispy as I expected but on the other hand it was quite thick. My main was a good combination of tastes and textures: mushroom and Brazil nuts roulade served on a potato and celeriac mash with onion gravy, red cabbage with raisins and roasted vegetables. Large dessert. Pricey wine - £20 per bottle.

Pros: beautiful surroundings

Cons: a very old, humid building

It's okay - Edit

We stayed in the hotel a couple of nights and ate here one evening. We did not think much of the hotel (see separate review) but the evening meal was fine. I still think if you are only around for a few days you'd be better off in one of the several great places in Ambleside.
Good selection for vegans and several coeliac options too, although the deserts selection was more limited.

Pros: Handy if staying in the hotel

Cons: Staying in the hotel

Good, but less than you would expect - Edit

We've spent a day and a night at Lancrigg House, and had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant.
The old-fashioned dining room with its chandeliers, the soft music in the background and the stunning view into the green let us expect more than we got, and the quality of the food couldn't live up to these surroundings, nor did it match te prices.
Too many of the main courses seem to imitate Fast Food in a vegan and more sophisticated way, but that in itself is a little out-dated, and it is not what one would expect in such a classy and classical place.
After two weeks of eating in non-vegan places, it was a great change to get vegan desserts and sweets we had missed so much. But all in all, the menu could be more tasty, more creative, and better balanced. I've eaten much better elsewhere, and for smaller sums.
The same applied to the breakfast. Moreover, in a vegetarian and vegan-vegan friendly house you wouldn't expect to have to tell the waitress repeatedly that you're vegan, which was to case.
I'd hope for better-trained staff, and staff who are able to cope with credit-cards.
All in all: Good, but not really good value. I might come again, but rather not for the food but for the place.

Pros: splendid setting, lovely house and dining room, acceptable food

Cons: a bit too pricy, staff is not like what you would expect

The Green Valley Restaurant, near Grasmere - Edit

A really nice restaurant in the Lancrigg Hotel. A little expensive, but top quality food and enjoyable atmosphere.
The road to the hotel is not easy to navigate, as it is not all paved, but the hotel is well signposted.

Pros: Good food, Lovely atmosphere, Very friendly staff

Cons: Difficult to find, A little expensive

Vegan Fish & Chips - Edit

The Lake District as a whole is quite a tricky place to find decent places to eat as a vegetarian, this makes those places that you do come across all the more inviting.
The Green Valley is a good vegetarian restaurant in a good setting with amazing views. You will need a car to get there though, unless you decide to stay at the hotel.
The menu is interesting and the range of wines and beers is better than most.
We enjoyed the vegan 'fish & chips' but were disappointed with the size and quality of the pizza.
Overall we would recommend the restaurant to anyone staying in the Lake District.

Pros: Vegan fish & chips very good, marked wines as vegetarian/vegan, The views and setting

Cons: Bit pricey , Pizza

Expensive rip-off - Edit

Went to the restaurant for lunch, not realising they have a limited menu. However, we stayed and ordered, my partner ordering a nice homemade soup and I opted for Cumbrian rarebit. Soup was good, rarebit was passable, but for the price charged was incredibly poor value £6.95 for one thin slice of shop-bought granary bread and a thin smattering of cheese and mustard. It would've represented bad value as a childs portion, never mind an adult. Surely a basic requirement of any cafe or restaurant is that a customer doesn't leave hungry - I had to go and buy a sandwich straight afterwards. Not wanting to just complain anonymously on here after the event, I made a point of politely letting them.know that I was shocked at what I was served, but all I was told.was that the chefs were changing shifts when I ordered, and that I should return in the evening as the portions were big - I politely told them I wouldn't be returning.

Pros: Nice location

Cons: Very poor value, Tiny portions, Expensive

Great Food - Edit

My husband and I have been here twice and the food was excellent both times. The first time we stayed in the hotel but chose to stay in alternate hotel as we found it too old fashioned and expensive for what it was. Back to the restaurant though, the atmosphere is great and good choice of food on menu. I would return again but not stay unless refurbished.

Pros: lovely food, nice location, elegant and intimate dining room

Cons: hotel rooms need modernising

Very special! - Edit

Fantastic! A very special gourmet experience. 90 percent of the menu is vegan or vegan option, clearly marked. Also plenty of gluten free options. We had the lemon pumpkin and cashew tart with coconut sauce, and the lentil cottage pie. Both were utterly delectable. Also offered a large range of divine vegan desserts. The atmosphere was peaceful and the workers friendly. Highly recommended. The restaurant is down a long driveway a fair way down Easedale Rd.

Pros: 90 percent vegan or vegan option, Delectable gourmet food

Great little restaurant - Edit

I stayed with my wife at the Lancrigg hotel for 3 nights very recently, and one of the many excellent things about it was the fabulous food on offer at the hotel's Green Valley restaurant, which welcomes non residents. I didn't feel any desire to go out dining elsewhere. All the meals were very tasty, really varied and cooked from good organic ingredients. Though I am not a vegan, the vegan dishes were so appealing I had several anyway, and would not hesitate to recommend this place to vegans looking for great eating. The staff were very friendly, which helped make an enjoyable atmosphere, and to top it all off, the setting is just beautiful. Perfect for a scenic walk to build up an appetite or walk off that sweet course you couldn't resist !

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Delicious! - Edit

The Green Valley restaurant is part of the small hotel Lancrigg, but it's open for everyone. We have stayed in this hotel for six nights. Before we arrived we thought about having some dinners outdoors, but after seeing (and eating) we decided to stay there for dinner every evening. It was so hard to choose what to eat, that we needed all of our evenings to try it all, anyway. All of the dishes are fabulous!
The dishes are vegetarian, but most of them are also suitable for vegans (or can be adjusted). They have a great selection of vegetarian organic wines and also organic liqueurs.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Stunning location/unrivalled veg/gf dining options - Edit

My partner and I were blown away by the beautiful location of this restaurant / hotel. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, ready to go for a stroll but whilst enjoying a delightful spot of tea in the gardens of the hotel, we were enjoying the atmosphere and views so much that we couldn't drag ourselves away! The evening meal in the Green Valley restaurant was lovely - plenty of options and pretty much every dish had a vegan option with a number of dishes having a gluten free option. The only down side was that they seemed to be short of gluten free bread which was disappointing for a place that is supposed to be geared to cater for those on a gluten free diet. Also, would be great if they would indicate on the menu which dishes contain egg (useful for lacto-vegetarians) as we were constantly having to ask the waitresses and sometimes were not convinced by the unsure answer! Overall, well worth a visit though it is not cheap!

Pros: location, choice, atmosphere

Cons: quite expensive

Absolutely excellent cuisne - Edit

Phenomenal food in a beautiful location, unusual dishes changing frequently, served gourmet style in a wonderful old homely high-range hotel. Every course was sublime. Friendly staff, comfortable dining room- we came back every night we could. Given what else for Veggies' is on offer in the Lake Disrtict, it would be a crime not to visit the Lancrigg. One warning- phone ahead- opening hours are scant and tend to vary.

Pros: Gourmet food, Location, Ambience

Cons: Opening hours

Another divine weekend in the country - Edit

once again i have returned refreshed and happy after a weekend at the Lancrigg hotel in Grasmere. each time i go they seem to pull off the impossible feat of improving the food. this time i looked at the new menu and thought 'that's a bit steep' (still far cheaper than anything edible in my native leeds) and by the end of the meal realised i'd had a unique bargain. the presentation is now to gourmet standards and the increased range of vegan and gluten free options without peer. the staff - who were all new since my last visit - were charming, efficient and personalble and the Wittington's hospitlity as always, was warm and generous. The hotel was peaceful and the easedale valley as beautiful as the autumn can be. In short, I left a very happy man - would reccomend this to anyone

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, exquisite location

Lacklustre & Languid - Edit

As we arrived for lunch a member of staff came down the stairs and asked what we wanted. Her reply, 'I don't know anything about lunches, I'll find someone.' Someone came, we asked if we could bring our dog in, 'I don't know, I'll ask.' Time ticked by so we went to settle outside. The food arrived eventually, but was cold, so had to be sent back. We were given a pot of tea on the house while we waited which was very nice. When the food returned, we were actually given the wrong plates back, so we swapped. Food was okay. We did want a dessert, and had said we would order after our main. After finishing our meal and waiting a further 35 minutes, we decided to give up hoping our order would be taken, and went inside to settle up. The person who waited was polite. The place was not busy, we were the first when we arrived. Then two other parties. Even though the waitress came out to take orders from the two other tables, she didn't come to us, although she had to walk past, neither did she clear. It was after this that we waited a bit longer and hoped that she would reappear so that we could order our dessert - but it was not to be. Fanastic setting. But with average food and indifferent staff it is not somewhere I would take people. As a vegan I really want veggie catering to be great - so I am much more tolerant and forgiving then I would be in a conventional place, because I want to find places I can take non-veggies. But cold food, very slow service and a lack of proffessionalism and energy means that I would hesitate to return here.

Pros: Fantastic Setting, Great Views, Cater for Vegans

Cons: Average Food, Slow Service, Indifferent Staff

Fabulous - Edit

Somewhere to go for that luxury dinner! My partner and I ate here for one evening, whilst staying in the area. We arrived by public transport in the village and it's a very pleasant 10-15 minute walk to the house along small country lanes. Once at the house the owner was extremely friendly and we settled in to the lounge with a drink and looked over the menu. I think about 80% of it was vegan, and it was very hard to decide what to have as it all sounded so great. We ate early in the evening, and the dining room was getting full later, and this was not during peak tourist season so I would suggest you book in advance. The food was all fabulous, lots of flavours and well presented. The majority of the drinks are vegan too, and all are vegetarian. A three course meal costs about £25, not including any drinks you have. The view from the dining room window across the fells was fabulous in the evening sunset.

Pros: lots of vegan food, lovely staff, great flavour

Cons: more expensive than some places

Just Bliss - Edit

I have stayed in many hotels over the years and B&B's but never in a hotel that has been 100% veggie, the place is amazing the building is gradually being renovated so some of the rooms' look a little tired but the majority are wonderful, with stunning views. The staff are always warm and welcoming, there are great walk to be had straight from the door and you will need them after eating the fantastic food. The breakfasts are very substantial so a very light lunch is called for when you are out and about. The evening meals are served in a very grand dining room and if you are there is winter they light a lovely fire in the lounge. The food is ever changing and this means you can always look forward to something different when you return again and again which you will want to do like my wife and I have. We have just book for Christmas this year and will report back to let people know how it went.
The only down side I can think of is that its not nearer to my home and it isn't cheap but then neither is the 5*star food and service.

Pros: Creative cooking, fantastic views, wonderfull rooms

Cons: I have to save up to go

Wow! - Edit

In hindsight I wish we'd stayed at this hotel - the vastly increased cost would have been worth every penny. Although tricky to locate it's worth the search and the views, surroundings and food are all superb. Am already wondering when I can stay there for a week instead of a one-off evening meal. Great selection of vegan booze as well as delicious and well presented food. Quietly classy dining room, and beautiful decor inside complimenting the stunning scenary outside. However I wonder if the other diners could feel my waves of jealousy that they were staying overnight and we were just passing through...?

Pros: Classy country house, Delicious food, Great views

Cons: Tricky to find, You'll want to stay, Expensive (but worth it)

Return to Grasmere Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Green Valley closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2817 times since Aug 2007.