Seed

Contact 504-302-2599

1330 Prytania St, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70130

Opened April 2014, Seed was sown with a vision of healthy nourishment. Provides made-to-order healthy and vegan comfort food grounded in New Orleans taste. Uses the freshest garden-grown, local, and organic ingredients with many soy-free, gluten-free, and raw food options including raw dessert. Confirmed open, Aug 2015. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by vegbaker

Southern Comfort - Edit

This is absolutely the best vegan menu in the beautiful city of New Orleans. The regional options are so wonderful for those of us who walk past 99% of the city’s culinary offerings with loathing and longing to taste something of the authentic traditional cuisine. Seed is super healthy, but without compromising the gluttonous joy of hangover brunch and nutrient packed cocktails. I am grateful they reopened in time for our visit. Speaking of visiting, they have some of the best, consistent hours in the city. 7 days a week from 11-10 (10-10 on weekends) is practically unheard of. They are also super easy to get to from the Charles Ave Street Car (hop off at Erato, walk one block). Otherwise it’s a pleasant enough half hour stroll from the Quarter. The windows are somewhat dark from the outside, so don’t be put off if they look closed. Once you go in, the space is bright and airy. The servers are cool and convivial, attentive and relaxed - which is a fine balance for sure.

We ate here twice on our visit, once for brunch and once for a late lunch. The Seed breakfast and a bloody mary were just what the vegan doctor ordered after a late night. I am always on the lookout for vegan bloody marys, however the Seed mix they use was a little bland - a lot of cucumber and not very much spice. It still did the trick, just not quite what I had expected. The tofu scramble was a pretty mushy consistency too, but the flavor was great. Along with the seitan bacon and a side of spicy potato hash, it was a very complementary savory brunch. The lunch we had a couple days later was perfect in every way. The gumbo with spicy seitan prompted my wife to confide that I had not been making gumbo at home the way it was supposed to be, and I realized with my first bite just how uninformed my palate was before. This was slow cooked vegan creole perfection. For such a simple looking dish, it had a rich and hearty base and complex spice and character. It’s the kind of dish that prompts people to unexpectedly exclaim Mercy be! or some other such nonsense. The southern fried tofu po'boy was equally delectable. With a light chickpea breading, the tofu chunks were delicious. Again, such a simple looking sandwich with lettuce and tomato, but it was out of this world. Unfortunately due to all the amazing bread and so much tofu (not complaining) we were too full to try the beignets. I just hope they are still going strong so we can try them when we return!

Updated from previous review on 2015-10-01

Pros: best vegan option in New Orleans, healthy and indulgent, great hours

Cons: odd bloody mary

Great vegan food - many options, good portions - Edit

Went once for brunch and once for dinner - it's more of a daytime/casual place, but there is a bar too. My husband and I were very satisfied with the large menu, and we enjoyed the tofu po'boy, pad Thai, and nachos. We don't get around to New Orleans often, but this place was much appreciated while there - convenient location to French quarter and uptown as well. Crowded (in a good way) during weekend brunch.

Pros: large menu, fresh/homemade taste, bar

Cons: small location

Fantastic vegan option in NOLA - Edit

It isn't easy to find vegan restaurant options in NOLA, so we were thrilled to find Seed. We appreciated the meal options as well as the fantastic flavors. Highly recommended!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy Food Options, Friendly Staff

great vegan food - Edit

had the eggplant pasta which had amazing fresh basil flavor but was a dull brownish red color, and was not appetizing looking. Needed about a 1/4 teaspoon of salt, but no problem. The gumbo was 100% on point. The service was decent, and the vibe was very interesting, but I think that's just because it just opened up. This is probably the most decent/fancier vegan food I've had traveling all over the US since Portland. It was clean, vibrant, had solid flavor and a solid concept. A wonderful menu and I didn't have the beverages but they seemed solid.

Pros: clean and fast service , wheelchair accessible , solid traditional flavor

Cons: vacant vibes , louder music for the older folks , under salted spaghetti

Seed is delicious, comforting vegan food - Edit

I have been to Seed restaurant in NOLA for their brunch...and of course I indulged in their vegan beignets. This time I went for lunch and I ordered the eggplant poboy...and was super pleased with the decision. The thin piece of eggplant was coated in a delicious cornmeal breading and fried to perfection, the roll was light and airy. Great 100% vegan comfort food at reasonable prices.

Pros: Delicious, Nice vibe, Friendly staff

Spectacular, rare find in New Orleans - Edit

It was hard to find good vegan options anywhere while visiting New Orleans. Seed was amazing and a very welcome change from the heavy, meat/seafood-in-everything food culture of New Orleans. The Seitan Po' Boy with Mushroom gravy was the special of the day, and absolutely fantastic. I almost ordered a second one. My wife got the chickpea salad, which was one of the best we've ever had. Everything was fresh and flavorful. So good!

Pros: Flavorful, Fresh, Filling

Cons: Rare find in New Orleans, A bit of a hike from popular tourist part of town

treasure in the big easy - Edit

Came from philly and hoofed it in the rain from canal st - worth every soaking step - exquisite vegan-Cajun - gumbo to die for. Writing this makes my mouth water. Whenever I'm in NOLA I'll be back!

Great surprise - Edit

I'd read about Seed, but only had the chance to stop for 1 meal in New Orleans. We chose a different restaurant and it happened to be closed on Sunday so we ended up at Seed. We had a party of 9 and everyone enjoyed their meal. So many yummy sounding things to choose from on the menu. I'd definitely go back as my first choice next time. A very delicious and memorable meal!

5/5 a delicious vegan restaurant in NOLA - Edit

This was the best place I've been to since moving to Louisiana. My non vegan boyfriend also thinks it was the best food he's had since moving here, and he doesn't ever say that about places! We found "Seed" on Yelp and drove 40 minutes just to eat here, WORTH IT!!! First off, the second you walk in you get this overwhelming feeling of happiness...or maybe that was just me! :P Our waiter, Daniel, was the best! He was the perfect waiter! Gave us time to review, didn't rush us, and always asked our input on everything he served to us! My favorite part was when he'd give us our food he'd say things like, "check this out!" Or "doesn't that look amazing?" He seemed so proud to serve their food, and I've never see that anywhere else! Before I became vegan I LOVED cheese fries, so I was very excited that they had Chili "Cheese" fries! (They were DELICIOUS.) For the main course we ordered the Pad Thai and the Southern Po Boy. Honestly, both dishes were to die for! So subtle but still burst with flavor! Everything was just exquisite, and we will definitely be making this our "go to place"! Even if it's 40 minutes away! :) I really wish I could provide a better review, seeing how I'll be coming to Seed all the time now..but I'd be here all day typing if I could actually explain how great everything here is! So we'll leave it at this! And I hope everyone enjoys Seed as much as I did! ❤️

Pros: Amazing "cheese", FLAVORFUL "raw" options, Very welcoming staff

Vegan all the way - Edit

This restaurant is a casual comfort in the Crescent City, offering an all vegan menu that has some good choices for everyone. They have juices and smoothies, coffee and liquor. They label the menu with gluten free, raw and soy free items.

Looking for some NoLa offerings in vegan version- beignets, sandwiches/ po boys? Here it is!

Really though, I like the raw noodles, juices, raw ice cream and make-your-own salads! Of course, if you are like me, you will probably pick a salad entree off the menu to save time instead of drooling and pondering of produce potential in a powerfully healthful mix of your own making. Great to have that option at a restaurant like this- so rare!

Loved this place, just a little bummed at the prices. It prevented me from ordering more!

Pros: All vegan, Menu markings!, Fresh and delicious raw options

Cons: Needs more dessert choices, Prices

Real New Orleans flavor AND vegan! - Edit

This place is a MUST visit. The menu is extensive and everything I had was out of this world. I was dreading coming to New Orleans as a vegan because I knew food would be tough: this has changed my perspective. I feel like I'm really getting the flavors of the city, but still honoring a plant based diet. Service was good. Atmosphere is very charming. Art from Jan Burguieres on walls is great. Best lighting fixtures I've seen in a long time. Crab cakes are a must try. Poyboy outstanding. Gumbo excellent!

Pros: food, real New Orleans flavor, selection

Gumbo and Poboy bring it all home! - Edit

Wonderful restaurant in the Garden District just off the St Charles streetcar line. the staff was warm and friendly and our waiter described every dish and made recommendations according to our desires. The gumbo was filled with subtle and fabulous flavors. my friend and I ordered two different poboys and shared...each was marvelous in its own way. Wish every city had a restaurant like Seed. I'll definitely return.

Pros: Lots of vegan options. Location.

Seed - Edit

I ate there tonight and was totally disappointed. The location was in a "seedy" area of New Orleans. While waiting to be seated, we went to the bar for a glass of wine and were ignored by the bartender. We were finally seated in fold out chairs. The ambience was stifling and very loud. The food was less than expected. I will likely never go back.

Some of the Best in the World - Edit

I've had great vegan food all over the world, from Seattle to NYC, to Prague, to Hong Kong. This is at least in the top 20, maybe top 10. The artichoke cakes were incredible. Get those no matter what you order. Everything else was also divine. Not too fancy, just great vegan food done NOLA style.

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, unique

fried nuggets with garlic, bbq, or agave mustard sauce & VEGAN BEIGNETS are spot on - Edit

Our girls loved the nuggets and the bbq sandwiches. The menu did not knock our socks off although I liked the format of the menu as it was really easy to read.

We were there for dinner on a sat night and it was super slow service. Lots of college young adults from Loyola and Tulane there both times we went. And lots of college intellectual talk on politics etc. as the music wasn't on so it was too easy for convos to merge into each other.

We also had the po boy sandwich (eggplant), mac n cheese, and something else in mat remember...and the raw ice cream...but not impressed with those at all.

Second night I returned w the girls as it was easy and the service was much better and the music was on. We ordered the same things as it was a no brainer that those two items i mentioned above were the best options. Oh and the beignets big times. So awesome! ...in our opinion.

Excellent food with regional flare - Edit

I wish I had time to dine at Seed more than once. The food is creative and well prepared. They somehow made the best kale I've tasted - just steamed and seasoned, but superbly so. I really enjoyed the southern fried nuggets. The restaurant is very pleasantly decked out.

Good Vegan Food, New Orleans Style - Edit

This is a great place to get New Orleans style food that is vegan. They have the mainstays such as po-boys and gumbo, plus some things I didn't know were New Orleans style before visiting, like the artichoke cakes. The quality of the food is excellent, though the portion sizes could be a little larger (hint--if you're a big eater, get two entrees or an entree and an appetizer, per person). Friendly staff and cozy interior are good as well. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a big vegan renaissance in New Orleans! It will also be a good assist to what appears to be an improving neighborhood. They are a little expensive, but New Orleans is that way most anywhere near the city center.

Pros: delicious, great way to try out local cuisine, ambiance, friendliness

Cons: a bit expensive, portion sizes could be a bit larger

YUMMY - Edit

So good! I went here after a friend recommended it to me.. Was a bit of a trek but even my parents thought it was amazing despite being meat eaters. I had the raw spaghetti and the nachos for a shared entree. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Pros: yummy, fast service, delicious food

Cons: bit far from the french quarter

Excellent veggie food in New Orleans - Edit

We had struggled to find veggie food in New Orleans over a holiday weekend – even Seed was closed on New Year’s Day. But the next day we walked over and were very pleased we did. The ambiance is bright, stripped back, cafe style. I’m sure the purists will say this is not authentic southern food but for us veggies from the UK it was a great way to encounter a creative fusion of vegetarian and southern flavours. To start we had the small gumbo and a large plate of nachos with delicious toppings (compared well to the nachos we had in Mexico a few days later). To follow we had the southern fried poboy and the sweet corn polenta which was particularly delicious. Fresh ingredients and full of flavour. We understand that the portions are slightly smaller than US customers may be used to but we found them to be fine. All in all a very enjoyable evening and the food compared well to veggie restaurants across Europe.

Very Good - Edit

A must stop for vegans visiting the Big Busy. Party had mango kale, gumbo , club, beignets, beer and mango lassi.

Pros: food is very good, service excellent , try Beignets

Cons: A little pricey due to organic produce , portions a bit light so u may want snack few hours

vegan New Orleans-style - Edit

New Orleans is a city who's cuisine is tied into its culture and history that I felt like I was missing out not being able to eat it. I was so excited to see that seed makes vegan po boy and beignets that was the only reason I made the trip there from the French quarter. It was well and truly worth it - the food was delicious, great service, nice atmosphere and big serves giving good value for money.

Cons: It is a decent walk from the French quarter

Good food - IF they have it - Edit

We liked the food we had at Seed, but were disappointed that they were out of so many items when we went. It's an all vegan restaurant. Location is a little out of the center of the town so you would need a car/cab to get there - not in walking distance of the French Quarter or most touristy places.

We tried the southern fried nuggets. the chickpea salad, and the mac and cheese. Nuggets were good and didn't taste like tofu at all. Chickpea salad was a little too much mayo (Veganaise) but otherwise tasty. Mac and cheese was a little too heavy on the cheese sauce and noodles were soft and overcooked, but it was creamy and otherwise good.

However, when we first sat down (about 6:30 p.m. on a Saturday) the server immediately told us they were out of a particular appetizer, a side dish, a main dish, some kind of bread, and the raw ice cream dessert. I don't remember the specific items other than the dessert because mainly we came there to try the beginets. It's New Orleans and they are famous for beignets, and this place had vegan ones. When we sat down this was not listed as being "out."

We ordered, finished eating and by 7 p.m. were ready for the beginets, at which point we were told they were out. The place was just starting to fill up at that point so it's not like there were tons of people there ordering beginets. Seriously. It's early on a weekend diner night. How do you run out of so many things? You have been in business long enough you should know, and it was really disappointing that they apparently had so many items no available.

Call ahead, and if you want a specific dessert - and they supposedly have it when you are seated - put in the order with your food!

Good vegan spot in NOLA - Edit

This is a cool vegan spot. I liked the lighting and art. Overall, the decor is hip and inviting.

The menu is pretty expansive and has lots of nice options. We opted for the eggplant poboy, tofu poboy, and artichoke cakes. The artichoke cakes were splendid - really flavorful with great sauce and a nice variety of textures.

The poboys were a bit underwhelming. While my tofu was fried really nicely, the sandwich itself was pretty bare - it was only adorned with lettuce and tomato, and I felt like I could have easily made something similar at home. Given the steep price, I was hoping for something a bit more creative and filling. It would be great if they spruced up these sandwiches a bit with some homemade pickles or sauce or something like that.

Overall, we enjoyed the place. I would go back, but I'll try something besides the poboy next time.

Pros: artichoke cakes, nice decor

Cons: pricey for what you get

The best thing about New Orleans - Edit

It took us a hot walk and a crowded tram drive to get to the cafe from our hotel in the French District, but it was absolutely worth it. So much so that we went back twice one day, once for the main meal, and once again for the vegan beignets. Service was excellent, food was excellent, and the people friendly.

Pros: vegan beignets, large menu

Cons: a little hard to get to on foot

5 stars place - Edit

We had delicious raw veggie spaghetti , tried also chili French fries. Everything tasted deliciously. Alex that took care of us is as beautiful as kind. We met nice couple at the next table and we paid $56 for 4. Amazing. Will come back !!!!! Namaste.

Missed the Vegan mark - Edit

Unfortunately, this place missed the Vegan mark for me. We tried:
Grilled cheese - the bread was warm but not grilled.
Poboy sandwich - very dry and kind of blah.
Creole salad - good enough, but the guacamole in it tasted like it had been sitting out.
Gumbo - the flavor were not pleasant and certainly not blended well. It especially tasted like someone threw some steamed veggies and a can of tomato paste together and called it soup.
Tofu nuggets - were it not for these delicious little bites of yum, I would have given Seed 2 stars.

The service was mediocre. Our server was friendly, but they were clearly understaffed. We heard great things about this place, and so I was bummed that it wasn't more delicious. Perhaps NOLA is still working on its Veg scene and this is the standard? Two thumbs up for there at least being veg available.

It just didn't taste like things were made from scratch...

Great Vegan Food In NOLA - Edit

I was in New Orleans for a conference and did not have much time to plan my meal options. I did find SEED almost by accident as I was visiting a non-profit organization nearby their location.

When I looked at the extensive menu, I knew that I would be in good shape with a wide variety of blended fresh pressed juices and smoothies. They also had a great selection of starters and entrees.

I decided to forego an app and went for the Super Seed 8 Blended Drink. It was super refreshing and tasty and the perfect way to start the evening. If I was not dining alone, I would have ordered the nachos as the table next to me did and it looked awesome.

For my entree, I ordered the Sweet Corn Polenta. While the polenta was grilled nicely and had just a hint of spiciness, I would have liked to seen a little more of the spinach and sauteed mushrooms that came with the dish. So more vegetables and a little less polenta would have been my critique of the dish.

I did have room for dessert and the server suggested either the beignets or the chocolate mousse. Since I am gluten free, I opted for the mousse and it was light and not too sweet.

The service was friendly and attentive. I liked the fact that they did not assume that I was vegan and announced that that the menu was entirely plant based just so that diners were clear what they were getting.

The dining room was comfortable, spacious and well lit and suitable for a couple on a date or for a larger group outing. As the weather was quite warm, a number of diners chose to sit outside.

If you travel to New Orleans, you will not be disappointed in a visit to Seed.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Yummy Food, Nice Beverage Menu

Cons: Need More Entree Choices, Not For Those On Tight Budget

bland, dry - Edit

This place was really cute, had really great service, and their menu looked great on paper. Cocktails looked great and their wine was good.
I ordered the eggplant poboy, boyfriend ordered the tofu poboy, and we split a creole zucchini salad.
Creole zucchini salad was good, that gets four stars. Both of our sandwiches were horribly dry and tasteless, zero stars for mine and one for his. All it was, was chewy. I ordered a side of aioli to help, but it didn't taste anything like aioli, rather a salty mayo. Nothing in my sandwich tasted like anything, it literally tasted like I was just eating mayo on bread which made me feel really sick when I was done.

Cute vegan boutique next door, though.

Pros: cocktails, atmosphere

Deliciousness in NOLA! Vegan beignets!!! - Edit

I was kind of sad going to NOLA thinking as a vegan I wouldn't get to try any traditional creole cajun cooking. But Seed ended up being a terrific mix of traditional foods and American comfort foods. With my boyfriend, we ordered the southern fried tofu sandwich, mac & cheeze, gumbo, and beignets. The tofu sandwich was on delicious fresh bread, but the surprise was the fried tofu had a flavor somewhere between KFC and McDonald's chicken nuggets, so if you miss either of those things you'd love this sandwich. The mac and cheeze was classicly delicious. The gumbo was awesome, we opted for the addition of seasoned seitan and it was the right choice. Oh, and the beignets!!! What an exciting treat, powdered sugar-coated donut-like fried dough pastries, it's easy to eat the entire bowl they bring you out for $7 and then order a second. I only wish we could've eaten at Seed a second time before leaving!

Pros: All-American and Creole/Cajun menu, The ONLY vegan beignets in NOLA!, Open late

Cons: On-street residential parking

Vegan Beignets! And Other Great Food - Edit

I was so happy to find this place while on a work trip to Louisiana. It's all vegan, and they had a great mix of raw and other healthy items, while also serving up local style comfort food made vegan. The gumbo with spicy seitan was delicious, and I was so excited to try a beignet. I have been on many work trips to New Orleans and watched people eating these, but have never seen a vegan one.

The inside is very clean, bright, and welcoming, and my server was very friendly. I will make it a point to go to this place every time I am in New Orleans.

Pros: Vegan beignets, Local food made vegan, Nice atmosphere

Cons: None!

Incredible food, friendly environment - Edit

I live in Brooklyn and delicious vegan food is readily available pretty much everywhere. Let's just say if Seed was located in NYC, they would give many places a run for their money!

Although we stayed in the French Quarter while visiting New Orleans, we made a special trip out to Seed and boy was it worth it! The food was fantastic, some of the best vegan cuisine I have ever tasted. We went a bit overboard and ordered multiple items off the menu, and every single one was crazy delicious. I was probably most impressed with the "cheese" that came with the chips and dip appetizer -- it was seriously one of the best vegan cheeses I've ever tasted! Additionally, this place has vegan beignets!!!! I can't even express in words how awesome that is to find! My fiance also tried the gumbo and Poboy and said both were fantastic. I highly recommend the pineapple, ginger, almond milk smoothie too.

The staff were very friendly and attentive, even with every table being occupied. This place is fabulous and definitely a great addition to the city.

Pros: Vegan beignets

Seed In New Orleans - Edit

Ate here 4 times during an 11 day stay in N.O. Never dreamed that such great vegan food would be found in this city mostly known for rich meat and seafood. Awesome yummy vegan dishes: nachos, salads, soups, pizza, etc.

Pros: friendly staff, varied menu, terrific food

New Orleans best! - Edit

Very nice vegan restaurant with New Orleans style cooking (fried comfort foods) and raw options. Reasonable prices. Beer. wine and mixed drinks. Had the vegi spaghetti Pomodoro with eggplant, fried tofu nuggets, pad thai, raw tacos in lettuce-- all really good. Can't go wrong here! The service was excellent with caring staff, simple but nice decor and good vibe.

Pros: great tasting food, healthy version of traditional dishes, good service and prices

Cons: a bit off the beaten path

Happy Vegan in NOLA...FINALLY! - Edit

I've been on numerous business trips to NOLA in my 20 years of being a vegan. There used to be a few mainstay spots, but those have come & gone. So this trip I excited to find Seed had opened in the last year. It did not disappoint! With so many options on the menu I decided for my first visit to go "traditional" NOLA: southern fried nuggets (queso & buffalo sauces), gumbo, & Caesar salad to balance it out. All were excellent.

Then for dessert it was time to finally try beignets after watching friends eat these for years. I should have stopped at 2, but that third one was calling my name!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, even raw; easy cab or tram

Cons: This is not fast service so give yourself some tim

The vegan South, done right - Edit

Upon visiting New Orleans, I knew that I wanted to try regional food, though I knew that would be difficult. That was, until I stumbled upon Seed. My sister, a gluten free vegan, and I were both pleased with the restaurant. We chose an appetizer and both had a meal. The menu included several vegan regional dishes as well as options for those who are gluten free. The food was also delicious. There is not a terrible amount of seating, so I would have been worried if we had come during a busy time, but we were overall extremely happy with the food, the service, and the atmosphere. Plus, they have vegan beignets. And they changed my world.

Pros: Delish food, Great service, Beautiful place

Wish I lived here - Edit

Great place and location. Came here on vacation. Would come back and recommend. Food is fresh and delicious. Perfect spices. I had the artichoke Palm cakes, eggplant poboy, and carrot cupcake. My mom got the raw tacos and ginger tea. Beautiful, funky, hip decor. Wonderful atmosphere.

Must Visit - Edit

Not too far from Canal/Bourbon Street. Super cute place with delicious food. Highly recommend for both vegans & non-vegans visiting New Orleans. My boyfriend ate most of the chili cheese fries I ordered. All the food I got was wonderful!

Pros: Near Canal/Bourbon Street, Variety in the menu

You need to get the beignets! - Edit

As a vegan visiting New Orleans I was worried I wouldn't get a comparable food experience. Well, my worries were resolved quickly at Seed. I got a Po' Boy, and finished my wife's gumbo. And for dessert, we got a basket of beignets (which I hope I'm spelling correctly). I absolutely love, love, LOVE this restaurant and would make a trip back to NOLA just to eat here again. One downside though, I might have been 5 pounds heavier after eating here :)

Great Experience - Edit

We stopped here to eat on a whim during a road trip and very glad we did. We've been on the road two months and all over the country and had the best experience here. We tried the pancakes (outstanding), eggplant poboy (outstanding), waffle (did not enjoy, they are gluten free and the texture and hardness were off so we returned for something else), chili fries (average), coffee (outstanding, comes in a French press, better than west coast), fried tofu balls with buffalo sauce (outstanding), mimosas (very good), the Baudin and Mole cocktails (excellent), pecan pie (very good) and the gumbo (very good). The food is good-great depending on what you get. The place is very clean, new, chic. Service was outstanding, Yamil and Craig the servers were very cool!

Pros: Service, Food, Clean

Cons: Waffles, Little Pricey

Great flavorful selection - Edit

The menu choices were Awesome.The comfort food choices made one forget the content of the vegan origin. the best was dessert a special vegan pecan pie which I would say is better thanTraditional pie. Def recommend it to any vegan and non the same

Pros: Great food , Great menu selections, Decent prices

Cons: Dim lighting

We loved it!!!! - Edit

My husband and I went to this restaurant twice during our visit to New Orleans. Dinner one night then breakfast the next morning before leaving town. We were super pleased and had great service. You've gotta give it a try if you haven't!!!!

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food

Amazing find! - Edit

I visited Nola with a few friends who were having a great time trying beignets and other traditional food. This place was awesome for me because I was able to feel some of that New Orleans love too :) the beignets were so good! The "chicken" and waffles had my meat eating friends fooled, and the mac n cheez was the best I've had in a while. The service was great and I loved the atmosphere. Highly recommend!

Worth the public transit trek! - Edit

Staying near Jackson Square in the French Qtr & found this suggestion on Happy Cow. Concierge suggested taking the streetcar instead of walking the 30 min thru somewhat sketchy areas, so I walked along Royal to Common St, caught streetcar ($3 exact change for day pass), exited at MLK and went left one block to Prytania. Turn left and it's there on your right. So worth it! Wanted to try the coconut wrap, but they were out of that and the soup of the day. Ordered bread & spreads: you get to pick 3 and I chose sweet potato/mushroom purée, hummus (best ever!) and creole cashew cheese. All delish! Had cauliflower steak sandwich and loved it. Brought leftovers back to my hotel and am snacking while reading my USA Today :) Oh yeah, got "raw cupcake" to go and, as the waiter described, its texture is more like bread pudding, but was tasty like carrot cake. All in all, a terrific vegan outing! Spent $31 incl tip.

Pros: Great-tasting food, Easily accessed by public transit from French Qtr, Cheerful, upscale interior with clever recycled ma

Cons: Edge of sketchy neighborhood (according to concier, Somewhat pricey

Vegan Beignets! - Edit

I found this place to be lovely. Staff was friendly and helpful. The decor is crisp and clean, a casual cafe, yet nice enough for a (not too fancy) date. The menu has many appealing options. My friend and I shared the pad thai, mac and cheese, beignets, gumbo, hummus, and nachos. The only slight disappointment was the gumbo, which tasted to me like a basic rice and beans dish. I had high hopes for that one. While nothing we ate completely blew us away, the atmosphere and overall experience left me wanting to come back, which I certainly will.

A Bayou oasis in New Orleans - Edit

I was in New Orleans for work for three days and thought I would starve to death. I found Seed on Happy Cow. It had opened about a month before my trip. This place was awesome!! Vegan beignets! Tofu Po' boy fritters. Truly delicious. My biz partner and I ate four meals here in three days. The owner was great and came and chatted with us as did the knowledgeable waitstaff. I will eat here again when I'm in New Orleans.

hard to find vegan - Edit

Let's face it - a vegan traveling in NoLa doesn't get much love. Thank goodness Seed exists! I'm a long term raw vegan from Los Angeles where raw vegan is popular and much explored by diners, farmers markets and chefs. There are a few raw items on the menu here, but outside the crackers and fill dip, none were to my taste.

A welcome addition in NOLA - Edit

We spent several days in NOLA back in April and happened to be in town for their opening weekend! A very much needed vegan-only spot in town, as we found it quite hard to get healthy decent vegan options in the centre(however others may disagree?).

As it was their opening weekend, there were loads of teething issues (unavailable things, left waiting, incorrect bill etc) but these are expected :) The staff were lovely, the atmosphere is uplifting and the food is very fresh! We ate here twice and did enjoy our food. A shame the dishes we wanted to try were unavailable on both occasions, but such is life! The juices were fresh and tasty and the dessert I tried was certainly different (but still yummy!).

An easy walk from the streetcar, easily accessible for those visiting town without a car :)

Pros: Healthy, nice decor, open plan

vegan comfort food - Edit

The southern fried tofu po'boy was everything we'd hoped to find in a vegan po'boy. The enchiladas are slightly misnamed -- it's really a salad with enchilada sauce, but a very tasty one. Everything was fresh and flavorful. A great choice if you're looking for veg-friendly New Orleans food in the Garden District.

The restaurant space is airy and appealing, too.

Pros: Friendly staff , Nice atmosphere, vegan versions of local faves

Cons: Beignets were tough, dense

delicious treat for NOLA - Edit

Beautifully decorated and intimate place. I was thoroughly impressed with my meal, but my husband was very disappointed with his. He had the egg plant Poboy. The eggplant was cut so thin that it practically dissolved when it was fried. I had the raw enchiladas and loved every bite. We shared the vegan nachos. I thought they were delicious. For dessert my husband had the raw ice cream which was really more of a fruit sorbet. He was very underwhelmed with the flavor. I had the chocolate parfait and enjoyed it very much. I think they are still working the kinks out for a new restaurant. My only complaint, is that the service was incredibly slow. It took over 40 min to get our entree and mine was raw. I wish I could say it was because they were busy, but we were one of two tables occupied.

Pros: great option for the city, original menu , friendly wait staff

Cons: slow for food to come out, hit or miss on menu items

delicious! - Edit

The food was excellent. Fried tofu nuggets with agave mustard & buffalo sauces satisfy all comfort food cravings, the club sandwich has a perfectly balanced flavor with a tangy hummus, and the roasted cauliflower steak sandwich really hit the spot! Service was friendly & attentive. Cute space, too. They're still new but definitely go and try them out!

A Delight and a welcome addition to NOLA Veg but.. - Edit

The food was creatively prepared and the portions were right. Their version of Pad Thai was made with noodles created on a rotating vegetable slicer. They weren't pasta but rather vegetables shaped into pasta. The effect was a light and tasty dish instead of a heavy noodle dish. The cauliflower sandwich was also a treat. We topped of the meal with raw ice cream which is made from bananas, nut butter and agave.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 25, 2014

I hate to write this update but we went back for a second meal. As great as the first meal was, the second one was that bad. We ordered beet capriccio, eggplant po-boy, sweet potato cakes, and coffee. Nothing was very good and we left most of it on the table. The service was incredibly slow. We didn't like the taste of the coffee and it wasn't hot. Our second experience there was quite a disappointment.

I believe that if we had ordered the same dishes the second time as we ordered the first time, it would have tasted just as good but from what I can tell, the quality and taste of each dish is different. I wish my second experience was as good as my first but unfortunately it wasn't

Pros: Great food, Reasonable price, Great service

Cons: Slow Service (sometimes), Uneven food quality, Coffee that wasn't hot

Big Smile - Edit

Just finished brunch here. So glad to find a vegan place in NO a short walk from the street car stop ay St. Charles and MLK. Great flavors and spices. Friendly folks. Enjoy!

Pros: All Vegan, Open Sunday, Flavor

AMAZING! - Edit

I was lucky enough to get into a preview of the restaurant and I have to say, GO THERE NOW! You shouldn't even waste your time reading my review, you should be ordering and falling in love with their Southern Fried Tofu RIGHT NOW. The Eggplant Poboy is magic. The Toasted Coconut Wrap, dreamy. Vegetable Spaghetti? Healthy and heavenly. And for dessert? The apple crumble is SO good as are the beignets. I'll be going back IMMEDIATELY. I highly recommend you get your hands on some of their food.

Pros: VEGAN!!! ALL VEGAN!, Delicious

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Seed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.