First Review by SynthVegan

nice sunday brunch - Edit

I've only eaten brunch at Mokabee's but its always been good (and all you can eat!) especially nice when you can sit outside. They have a nice (clearly labeled) vegan selection. Sometimes I wish there was a bit more variety from week to week, usually the change is in the tofu based offering- I like some much more than others)

Good coffee, love the strawberry orange juice, and the price is right. My 94 year old grandma even loves coming here for brunch!

terrible service good food. - Edit

We would have loved the place expect for the fact that the lady taking our order was a terrible and rude person. She acted like we were such a bother to her. After reading reviews after coming in, it looks like this a common occurrence. Would not recommend because of her.

Pros: good food , vegan friendly

Cons: terrible server.

Great Brunch - Edit

Mokabe's generale menu has many options for vegans and vegetarians, although nothing terribly spectacular. I have gotten their Match based veggie burger as well as the black bean one, and they are both fine. They also have things such as falafel and veggie sandwiches. However, their brunch is quite vegan friendly and delicious. It is a flat price (I think $14), which includes coffee/juice and the all you can eat buffet. Vegan items that were out included scrambled tofu, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, pumpkin bread, guacamole salad, and roasted potatoes. Upon request, they had vegan French toast (which was excellent) and vegan enchiladas (which were so-so).
I will definitely be going back. If you are vegan in the St. Louis area, you should check it out.

Pros: Great Brunch, Fun, layed back atmosphere, Open Late

Cons: Mediocre regular menu

some vegan options - Edit

Firstly this restaurant is a smoking facility, non smokers have to take their food upstairs which overlooks the downstairs and the smoke comes up.
I ordered the falafel which was dry as a bone with a smidgen og finally chopped cucumber and onion and no tahina or humous on a dry white pita that would not even wrap up. My husband had a veggie burger on a white kaise roll he asked for wholegrain and got 2 slices of bread ...not so good,
we would not go back there.

Cons: smoking, not good

Sunday Brunch Only - Edit

It can get pretty crowded, but if your vegan and in STL and haven't gone here you really are missing out. Please request vegan french toast at the register when you pay up front. And I always ask if there are any other vegan request items. Sometimes if the vegan pickings are slim they'll have an alternate in the back.

Also, they rotate a few items so its a little different each week.

Pros: scrambled tofu, vegan treats, vegan french toast

Sunday morning feast for hungry vegans - Edit

While the everyday lunch & dinner menu isn't too impressive for vegans, the Sunday morning brunch is a goldmine! I've been 3 to 4 times, and after tax the cost of the serve-yourself all-you-can-eat brunch is $13.70. It's from 9 am to 1 pm, so get there in the early end of the range for quick seating. Another plus is that smoking is not allowed inside during brunch hours! (The normal hours are a different story -- the first floor is a smoky haze...)

On Sundays, they usually have vegan falafel (request when you pay), vegan French toast (ditto on the request), steel-cut oatmeal and some toppings, a huge fresh fruit platter, Javanese tofu (delicious!!!). They also have mini sized pastries and goodies at the end of the buffet line, and about half these items are vegan: mini cranberry muffins, little ginger cookies, carrot cake, and more because they'll have different stuff each Sunday. They also have delicious vegan sausage but I wouldn't recommend their "crab" cakes -- I've never liked seafood and they were entirely too fishy for my tastes. AND: They set out soymilk by the coffee!

This, Shangri-La Diner, and (Sat & Sun) Whole Foods' hot bar are the only three places I can think of in St. Louis that serve vegan breakfast.

Pros: Javanese tofu, Vegan baked goods (Sunday only), Vegan options on weekday mornings, too

Cons: Non-Sunday menu, Indoor smoking allowed (Non-Sundays), I wish brunch were a few $$ less

Veggie Reuben - Edit

I enjoy the veggie reuben sandwhich. It is positively delicious. It must be the saurkraut. Mo has a winner here. The only downside is that the Thousand Island Dressing drips through your fingers. You can ask for less.

Pros: sauerkraut, filling, tasty

Cons: Too much dressing.

Only on SUNDAY - Edit

BEST brunch in the whole STL region!! I love the tofu scramble(which is different every week) the the wonder hash browns:) Make sure to request a VEGAN french toast and my fav. is to put the raspberry dressing on it...oh sooo very good. I can't wait till next Sunday!

Pros: Strawberry OJ, Vegan treats, Pseudo Sausage

Try the Sunday brunch!!! - Edit

I've lived in STL for over five years now and always heard about the brunch here. For some reason, I hadn't tried it until recently...and was I missing out! I went during the AMAZING Sunday brunch! They had plenty of Vegan & Vegetarian items, and very few meat items if any. If there is something on the brunch that isn't Vegan, you can request it Vegan and they'll make it fresh for you [i.e. french toast]. When I was there I had [all Vegan]: french toast, Javanese scrambled tofu [out of this world], Jambalaya, Carrot Cake [I can't believe it's Vegan!], snicker doodles, yummy strawberry orange juice, etc... This list goes on, and the food is amazing [the place was packed too]! You must try the Sunday brunch here!

Return to St Louis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mokabe's Coffeehouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2118 times since Jan 2008.