The Vine Cafe and Market

• Veg-friendly
Contact 314-776-0991

3171 S Grand Blvd, St Louis, Missouri, USA, 63118

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small Lebanese grocery store with an attached restaurant where you could get a falafel sandwich, tabbouleh, and other veg-suitable salads, labeled.

Category: Mediterranean, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Lebanese, Non-veg

First Review by XVeganSxeX

Great family place - Edit

This is a great family place, and you'll see many middle eastern families eating here. The reason it's great for my family is the price - we can have falafel night for $20! You just can't beat that for a family of four. The food is very good and the staff is cheerful. What more could we want? For the record, i tried to give 5 stars, but Happy Cow limits non-vegetarian restaurants to 4 stars max. OK, I understand.

Pros: affordable, falafel is always a good thing, friendly staff

falafel! - Edit

Take out orders regularly missing essentials, like sauce, or all the food, or sides, or extras you paid for. Dont bother. Better places on South Grand.

Their falafel dinner is good. Decent portion size (although the falafel dinner went from 10pc to 9pc) everything I've had there is good: Fries, lentil soup, hummus, sandwiches.

Never really impressed with the staff and I always double check my order, I've had to drive back for missing pita. I'd like to blame it on the fact that they're always doing brisk business...but I don't think that's it. I've been ignored, treated curtly, and i went around and around with a staff that said i should have a yogurt salad, in response to me looking for a vegan substitute for the soup they were out of.
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 24, 2015

Updated from previous review on Friday March 18, 2016

Cons: indifferent staff, Orders regularly missing essentials

Wow wow wow! - Edit

Yes, three wows! I'm stopped in St. Louis this evening on my way across the country and a friend took me to dinner here. On the drive over he mentioned how much he loves the food and that he's never had anything here he hasn't loved. He's omni, so I wasn't sure if the same would prove true for me.

Oh boy, did it ever! We both started with the lentil soup and it was a flavor explosion in my mouth. So perfectly balanced and complex it made me wish my lentil soups were even half as good.

He got a pot of coffee with cardamon and was so excited by the flavor, I had to try, despite the fact that I don't really do caffeine. It was served in a beautiful pot with two dainty cups and it only took a small sip to realize what he was in love with. It was thick, strong, and flavorful. If I was a regular coffee lover, I would have ordered one for myself.

I wasn't so sure about my dinner choices. The menu is very clearly marked with vegan selections and I wasn't super-excited by the basic descriptions. With our server's hearty recommendation of the mixed vegetable plate, I ordered that and was more than pleasantly surprised. It was so incredibly delicious and beautifully presented. It was a combination of cauliflower, zucchini, eggplant, and peppers over a wonderfully spiced rice served with some pickled vegetables. My only caution is that it was served with a tahini sauce which appeared too light in color to be vegan. I asked the server and she immediately apologized, saying that there is yogurt in it. The meal was incredibly delicious without it.

We also split grape leaves which were perfectly done and had a pot of mint tea after dinner. The service was excellent - attentive and friendly and we felt extremely welcome.

If I lived in St. Louis this would definitely be a place I frequented often!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 20, 2013

Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 20, 2013

Pros: Delicious food, Clearly marked vegan options, Friendly service

Cons: Served dairy with vegan meal

Amazing authentic middle eastern food - Edit

It is rare to find such delicious food as you find here. There is a lot of value in the amazing food they make here. We thought that the appetizers would only be small portions so I ordered several. In the end I could not eat everything but what I managed to eat was amazing. Everything from the dolmades, hummus, falafel and pita bread we had were superb. I really appreciate that they clearly mark vegan items on the menu and there is plenty to choose from. Probably one of my favourite eating places with vegan options and everything was inexpensive! So don't miss out on trying this cafe if you are in the neightbourhood. Amazing value and incredible food.

Pros: Food, Selection, Inexpensive

Return to St Louis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Vine Cafe and Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1019 times since Nov 2013.