Zend Conscious Lounge

Contact 778-588-6688

1130 Mainland St (at Yaletown), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6B 2T9

Opened Juy 2015 this is a botanical bar and vegan food restaurant in Yaletown. Profits are donated to charity. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by kenvegan

Over the top AMAZING - Edit

I visited Zend twice during my 3 day stay in Vancouver and all of the food that I ordered was delicious, beautifully presented, and fresh!

Pros: Fresh, Friendly staff, Cozy

Superior Vegan Adventure - Edit

From its tasteful décor, through to its original menu and genuinely wonderful staff, this place really is an experience to savour. Plus, the kava menu is intriguing and well worth investigating. Do yourself a favour.

So unique and delicious! - Edit

I love this place. I have been for both brunch and lunch and really liked the options. Everything on the menu is so healthy and different. It's nice to go for vegan food that isn't just rice bowls :P I went with carnivores and they were a little put off by some of the mock-egg and mock-meat brunch options, so maybe tread lightly if bringing people along for brunch. We LOVED the Zend cards, though, and sat around for so long playing them - please make them available for sale!

Pros: Healthy, Unique , VEGAN

Cons: A little expensive

Feeling adventurous? - Edit

If you want to try something different, Zend Conscious will provide that. If you want predictable flavors or are taking out veggie newbies, I wouldn't recommend it. We had the cheese board, beet benny, and quiche. Definitely fresh and healthy.

Pros: Healthy, Unique

Yummy Food, but Tiny Menu - Edit

I may have offended our server when I asked if these 8 dishes were the entire menu, but I asked with good reason - the menu is so limited! While the food was good, portions were small and I left a little unsatisfied. Seems like a cool ambience, although I was not impressed with the food (the most important part!)

Cons: Limited menu, Small portions

Affordable high-end experience - Edit

Even though I had the address, I passed Zend Conscious Lounge looking for it because it just look so much like a sophisticated steak restaurant or maybe like a really upscale Japanese restaurant from the outside. And yet it's so easy to find it: where the fire is.
I ordered a three-course set menu and started with a zend drink that was commended to me by my waiter. It was served in a small wooden cup and it had a very strong, intense taste; it tasted somewhat like expensive wood, it seemed to me as if the cup and the beverage were the same thing just one solid and the other one liquid; but it's more likely that zend drink contained mainly ginger.
So the ambiance is absolutely delightful, the interior is done up very nicely. The party games on each table are a great idea! Furthermore the staff was most friendly, attentive and knowledgeable.
Lastly the food would pass the highest quality and freshness standards. The servings weren't that big, but (besides good looking) quite filling. I have to admit that it hit the spot, but on the other hand wasn't outstanding. Some of the ingredients weren't my favorites (such as ginger), so after all it was fine but could have been better (according to my particular taste).
Finally, well, a high-end restaurant like this is expensive, that goes without saying, hence I won't complain about that. I found it a bit weird that everything was gluten-free (why would anybody want that?), but that's basically all I have to criticize.
Don't know about Wi-Fi, but probably they do have.
Even though the food could be more delicious (according to my taste) I couldn't possibly give any other rating than five cows, that's as clear as day.

Pros: delightful ambiance and interior, very attentive staff!, great concept

Cons: expensive

Love the smoothie - Edit

We ordered the tropical bliss smoothie which was really amazing. We also shared the nacho cheese dip and the sushi roll. Everything was great but nothing extraordinary. Our waiter was extremely friendly as well.

Zend you're doing it right! - Edit

Zend Conscious Lounge is the best yet to discover vegan restaurant in the heart of Yaletown on Mainland Street. It's east to spot with great signage and visible fire pit right outside the main window. There is ample seating in cozy u-shaped booths, warm lighting and an overall relaxing atmosphere. The staff are welcoming, attentive and intuitive. Food aside it was them that made this the best dining out experience we've had in the area in 8 years. The food was all delicious, beautifully presented and very satisfying. A live band playing New Orleans inspired music kept us there longer than we had planned on staying. Can't wait to go back and highly recommend Zend to anyone looking for the perfect dinging experience. I have no doubt that this will become the place to be for vegans and foodies alike.

Pros: Amazing staff, Beautiful delicious food, Warm and welcoming atmosphere

Cons: Parking not always easy

Great concept, wonderful food - Edit

I had dinner there when I spent time in Vancouver and was absolutly amazed by this place. The staff is very friendly and attentive. The food is fresh and tastes really great and even when it comes to special requests, the chef is happy to help. I left the place truely in gratitude and would everyone recommend visiting Zend Concious Lounge. I wish the team all the best - great concept!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great concept

Outstanding! - Edit

Zend has an amazing concept (explained on their website and in other Happycow review). Located in a trendy part of Vancouver with high people traffic, I hope it does well as it just recently opened. It is a great addition to the Vancouver vegan scene.
We went there early for dinner to avoid crowds.
The service was attentive, the menu easy to read and everything sounded delicious.
We started with the zend drink, which we both enjoyed very much.
Then got the tacos, the daily flatbread which on that day had eggplant and tomato, and a mint pesto, and of course had to try the warm nacho dip. EVerything was outstanding, the flavours perfectly mastered and everything tasted fresh and healthy. We did not finish the flatbread so took it to go, and then we had the dessert: 1 flan and 1 chocolate torte. Again, delicious flavours but we were probably too full to fully appreciate the tastes.
The portions don't look huge, but they are deceptively filling. The menu is great, dishes are easy to share and has mostly got raw food, and is 100% gluten free and vegan, which for me is absolutely perfect. I cannot wait to go back and try more...

Pros: Quality of food, Flavours, Service

Cons: Parking can be tricky

Healthy Twist to the Vancouver Vegan Scene - Edit

My partner and I went to Zend on a recently date and had a wonderful time. We shared the Defried Tacos, the Tomato Sandwich, and a Carrot Cilantro Wrap. The tacos were lovely and seemed fresh and healthy. I really enjoyed the bread in the Tomato Sandwich and The flavors of the Spiced Carrot Wrap were lively and tasty. For dessert we tried both the Torte and Flan. Both had great flavor.

The portions were generous and were both more than sated even after our lengthy pre-dinner bike ride. Care and attention to detail were apparent throughout the restaurant and the food tasted of the highest quality.

We were lucky enough to catch a marimba band when we were there. The music was a sensational addition to this memorable evening. I would definitely go there again!

Pros: taste, ambiance , quality of ingredients

Chic Atmosphere, Wonderful Staff, and Good Food - Edit

This place opened just the other day, and I was among the first to try their first restaurant.

This place is on one of the hottest bar/restaurant streets in Vancouver, and according to manager of the restaurant, this was very intentional. They are trying to expose as many non veg-types to healthy vegan food, and are hoping that who walk down this street will eventually eat at this healthy vegan restaurant.

This restaurant is actually a charity. After salaries and overhead is taken out, the rest of the money is donated to a charity of their choosing based on voting among those who work at the restaurant.

The place is designed in a very chic, modern fashion, and is quite comfortable. The staff is wonderful and very helpful.

I ordered a Tomato seed bread sandwich with potato salad, and a kava-based drink called Zend with an apple juice chaser.

The sandwich was fresh and tasty, and the potato salad was excellent and much healthier than potato salads you might find at other restaurants.

The Zend drink was an interesting blend of herbs, and was quite strong, but could perhaps be used by those who are looking to get a bit of a sensation of drinking alcohol without the side effects.

It's very satisfying knowing that the money you spend here will end up helping those in need.

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 18, 2015

Updated from previous review on Sunday July 19, 2015

Pros: Atmosphere, Wonderful waiting staff, Healthy food

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Zend Conscious Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4339 times since Jul 2015.