Witching Well

• Veg-friendly
Contact 0892006045

97 Moo 3 T. Wiang Tai, Pai, Thailand, 51830

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe with a light food menu of breakfast and lunch items in addition to drinks and baked goods. Hosts events and lectures on spiritual subjects. Open daily.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by kool_kitchen

Meh - Edit

After hearing nothing but good things about everywhere in Pai and The Witching Well we went and checked it out for ourselves. I personally found the menu to be underwhelming and overpriced. The food was ok but nothing spectacular, it was however a small portion (we went and ate something else after) as well as that the staff didn't seem to care or be interested in working there at all.

Cons: Over priced, disinterested staff, small portions

Not so good place to eat if you are vegan - Edit

Place adverticed that they have vegan options. I tried to order veggie sandwich where originally was feta and mayo. I asked, what comes instead of them if I order vegan - answer was nothing! They just take non-vegan things out... I asked if they could change feta to tofu (tofu foods on the menu), but no... I was quite disappointed, because price was quite expensive 105 baht. I ordered then just a fruit salad. Good thing was that portion size was big. Though my boyfriend enjoyed his food, but he is lacto-ovo...

Pros: Big portion size, Beautiful display

Cons: not a vegan friendly place, Couldn't change feta to tofu..., Pricy

Poor - Edit

It has very few vegetarian dishes and they are bad. Really plain and the cook clearly has no clue. Pricey too. Menu dominated by meat, eggs and dairy. Go to Earth Tone in the day or Charlie and Lek's in the evening.

Pros: It does have some vegetarian options (with cheese

Cons: Expensive. Meat dominated. Very plain taste.

Very average - Edit

Went here for breakfast, which started with a great smoothie, though the coconut milk salad was less than impressing. Too much dressing, cold tofu and the lettuce did not seem very fresh. My Omni partner also had a not sold good meal, with a hash brown that seemed cooked yesterday and microwaved today.

Coconut milk curried tofu salad is lush! - Edit

The menu here is quite small but that usually means they get to practice cooking the food more and therefore, it's tastier!

We had a cauliflower dish in a tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes, onions and it included brown rice. It was tasty and warming but nothing amazing.
The tofu coconut milk salad however was so good! They lightly spiced the coconut milk and the dish is filled with fresh raw veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, tomato, red cabbage. If you go to wishing well you must try this!

There are only a few vegan options listed but any dish can be made vegan i'm sure.

We also had the "Dream Tea" to enhance lucid dreaming which had fresh herbs in a pot inc. camomile, mugwort, cinnamon, star anise. It was tasty :)

Prices are reasonable and the portions are a good size.

Pros: Nice concept, Nice layout, Good portions and flavours

Tasty and interesting drinks - Edit

I'm vegan and my girlfriend is omni - so it was great that we could both sit down and have something to eat.

Wonderful atmosphere, it was quite exciting just being here.

I was mainly interested in the "magic potions" that were being advertised here. Before I go on, I will emphasise that these are not "drug-drinks", they are delicious herbal drinks/tonics.

These drinks reportedly "help you to open your heart , bring vivid dreams , stimulate your vision , promote your psychic awareness and balance your energies."

I had the potion named Vision. It included but was not limited to bayleaf, mugwort, clove & cinnamon and was said to "stimulate the 3th eye & helps you see beyond the surface." Aside from being a quite a tasty and interesting drink, I will report I received no psychoactive or physiological reaction!

A warning to anyone consuming these drinks: even though they are merely herbs, one must be cautious if you are planning on consuming large amounts of the medicinal herbs in these drinks; mugwort can be dangerous in very large amounts and you should always check any contraindications between any herbs and any medication you are taking.

The meals cost a little more than many other places in Pai, which is something to keep in mind if you are on a strict budget.

Pros: Excellent range of interesting drinks, Caters for Vegans, Vegetarians and Omnis, Great atmosphere

Very overrated - Edit

We found this cafe on Happy Cow and it was rated highly on trip advisor, so we expected it to be above average.. The descriptions in the menu sounded pretty good, however as a vegan my choices were fairly limited.
I chose the tofu salad with peanut sauce. When it first came out, I was immediately disappointed and thought that my 6year old nephew would actually do a far better job in putting this salad on a plate. To call it a peanut sauce was a stretch. There was a faint peanut taste but I think the rest of the peanuts had gone on holiday or something. Luckily I really like iceberg lettuce, don't really remember there being much else apart from tomatoes and the fried tofu.
My partner had the veggie pasta option. I tried a mouthful without any cheese and it was pretty tasty. Portion size was very small for the price though.
The atmosphere wasn't anything to write home about, so all up, I'm surprised by the high rating on trip advisor.
There was also a very skinny dog sitting out the front that the staff kept moving away. She was a really lovely dog despite being homeless and looking like she had recently had pups. She wasn't annoying customers in any way so I wasn't too impressed with the staff.... It is Pai after all!! I got her a meal up the road and fed it to her away from the restaurants. If you see her, please do the same as her waist is tiny.
Won't be going back to this cafe but would love to return to Pai someday :) The desserts sounded great but I'm not sure if they were vegan friendly.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 17, 2012

Cons: Lackluster salads, Not really animal friendly

I should have gotten the crepes - Edit

The dish I had from here (cauliflower and garbanzo bean curry) was good and all but it didn't blow me away. The taste was subtle and the consistency balanced but...there was just something more substantial missing. Perhaps mushrooms, tofu, or seitan? My friends had two different types of crepes which looked INSANE. Everyone's food looked incredible and it seems to always be busy here. It's a bit pricier than other places but the portions are moderate to large and the food is quality. I'd have liked to given it another shot before i left. Great ambiance as well.

Pros: Quality food, Lovely ambiance, Large portions

Cons: Pricier than most places

veggie friendly - Edit

Almost gourmet standards. It has a limited veggie options but they get vegan dishes. They have a nice pasta pesto vegan option. There is Tofu steak with veggies and creamy mushroom sauce not vegan a little sweet but very nice.

A vegan-virgin Strawberry Colada is just dishy. Also there deserts were nice there was a really gourmet style dark chocolate cake.

Lovely fushion teas

Not great seating think hard benches but the food is pretty good for veggies.

Prices are ok think 50 baht for the colada.

Pros: vegan options, refined tastyu food, european style cuisine

Cons: uncomfotable seating, not great on atmosphere, could use more veggie/vegan options

Return to Pai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Witching Well closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1131 times since Aug 2008.