Vegalite

• Friend
Contact +420-737430552

Slovakova 10, Brno, Czech Republic, 60200

Veggie pub located next to the Moulin Rouge night club. Serves 3 choices of daily menu with soup and free water with fruit. A la carte menu features 50+ vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free dishes; house-made ice lollies and traditional Czech meals prepared the vegan way -- served Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat 4-10pm. The bar offers a selection of Czech beer (mainly from mini-breweries), as well 2 Vegalité beers (lager and wheat beer) plus both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks; complimentary water with fruit. Has free Wi-Fi, children's corner, smoking and non-smoking sections. Hosts live underground D.I.Y. music events.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, European, Czech

First Review by dog

Not convinced at all - Edit

We were totally confused why this place get such raving reviews. Maybe because it's a bit underground and alternative, and by this I mean in a cellar where they smoke... but that didn't charm us. Also the food was really bland. If you're in Brno for a short stay, there are better options.

Awesome place - must visit! - Edit

This restaurant is actually one of the pioneers of vegan spots in my hometown. They offer cheap daily lunch menus and dozens of options off very affordable standard menu. Great personnel. It has sort of a punkish vibe to and it often hosts concerts. Overall, highly recommended.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 19, 2016

Pros: Great value, Real deal (no corporate veganism), Fast and pleasant service

Delicious vegan fried cheese - Edit

Vegalite is a cavernous little underground pub. The non-smoking room looks a bit like a children's playroom, and service is a bit slower there as it's not in view of the bar, but it's quite cosy too. There's one English menu with vegan options clearly marked.

I had the robi goulash and really enjoyed it: it was good and smoky, but there were too many dumplings for me. My partner enjoyed the robi steak with ragout and vegan cheese, but it was quite a small portion. We also shared the vegan Edam fried cheese. This is the national dish of the Czech Republic. Usually I steer clear of vegan cheese, but as it's the only time I've seen a vegan option of this traditional dish, I decided to risk it. And I'm glad I did, it was delicious! I'd recommend this even to sceptics.

The crepes for dessert were also really good, especially the chocolate and yoghurt one. It's all reasonably priced, and service is fast once you've placed your order. Shame about the smokiness!

Pros: Lots of traditional Czech dishes, Fried cheese!

Cons: Smoking allowed

Still popular but not always satisfied - Edit

Vegalité was one of the most favourite restaurant&pub in one for me, but it is not now. I always loved the style - they usually serve a typical Czech&Slovak food, which is NOT healthy and people love it, except daily menu 11-14 you can smoke there, but there is also possibility to eat in the separated room, where smoking is forbidden during all day. There is also special Thursday offer of beers made in microbreweries, so you can support local production. But about half year ago, the quality of food highly DECREASED. I do not know why, if they changed the chef and cooks, but the food is horrible, but the one, which you can normally fry on the pan, they use fryer instead of it. It is discusting, when your robi protein "meat" is full of old, stinking oil. You want ot cut it and you see only OIL! Of course the taste is the same as appearance. But if you choose food, which is not fried, it reaaaallly OK and tasty. And I want to add, that they probably use marinade for a short time, because sometimes it doesnt have "any" taste - what is the most imporant in vegan reastaurant, you know :) I hope they will do better.

Pros: Czech&Slovak food, smoking, beer, tattoed service, price, friendly atmosphere

Cons: Grassy food and also taste, sometimes undercooked

Beer&food - Edit

As already mentioned here, it's more pub than a restaurant. If you want to get few beers and some meal, you are in the right place. We got fried vegan cheese with fries, great junk food with drinks. Also nonsmoking part available.

Pros: Pub, Beer

Cons: Smoking

A classic everyone neeeds to see while in town - Edit

I LOVE the fact that this is a pub and not a family-friendly "healthy" bistro/buffet/restaurant like 10 other veggie places nearby. No. In Vegalite, you have a beer and vegan svickova and enjoy the alternative feel of this whole place. There's a non-smoking room (on the right from the entrance), but it's small - book a table if going there in the evening. Best dishes other than svickova: seitan skewers, sauerkraut dumplings, robi schnitzel and burger. Avoid the vegan cheese they use here.

Pros: beer special Thursdays, vegan popsicles, punk atmosphere

Cons: very crowded on concert nights, menu could use some innovations, the cheeze in cheezeburgers - just no

Huge portions :) - Edit

The menu is so long that you wish you had 4 stomachs :) I opted for a potato-pancake with grill veggies and I was unable to finish it!!! (I generally eat A LOT, so the portion was really huge) :) That left me to space for desert, but my friends had some and they were very happy with it :)
The bill for 3 people with drinks was 450 CZK, so it is very very cheap :)
They are also dog-friendly and have interesting toilets ;)

Pros: Massive portions, Lots of options on the menu, Price

Cons: There is smoking area

good veggie moussaka - Edit

My first time here the soup of the day was Bosch it was good I had the moussaka for main course. I was very happy with meal and will return , the service was also very nice it was provided by a student who obviously enjoyed her work there is a non smoking section which is separated from the smoking section by a corridor so it was not smoky

Looking Forward To Going Again! - Edit

This was my first visit to Brno In Czech. I have to say what a great city it was, :)
Sadly, we did not have that long, so only time to try out one Veggie/Vegan restaurant. We went to Vegalite.
I feel I made the right choice. I was there with my partner and a friend. We all loved what we ordered and tasted a bit of each others dishes, My friend is not veggie or vegan and he was very impressed with his Vegan Goulash.
As someone coming from London it was great to be able to try traditional Czech meals turned vegan.
O.k so the meals we ordered were - the "Soya Mix Vegalite" Which was a thick potato/wholemeal pancake with roasted soya meat, Onion, Mushroom, Tomato, Aubergine, peas mixed with Amazonian spice. It was huge! and delicious. - Please see my photographs.
"Vegan Goulash" This was nice, but almost a bit too much like the real thing for me. As a vegan of 12 years I found the sauce very meat like. However my friend who is a meat eater, thought it was delicious. Perhaps this is a good option for introducing people who normally eat meat to veganism?
and I had the Spaghetti, which was easily as good as any vegan pasta I've eaten at Italian restaurants. It was perfectly cooked and had a delicious light home made Rosemary olive oil dressing with olives, sun dried tomatoes, walnuts and sprinkled with vegan cheese. My only tiny complaint would be that there was not quite enough cheese, but that could just me me, as I tend to smother it on my pasta at home.
For desert we had the Wholemeal pancake with vegan whipped cream, maple syrup and forest fruits. again it was lovely.
This is a pub/ Restaurant so serves a wide selection of Czech Beers. The only downside to it being a pub is that everyone is smoking around you, which is a bit of a shame, but to be honest that factor would not put me off going to Vegalite again. It would however be nice if in the future they had a designated smoking area maybe?

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 14, 2014

Pros: Excellent Location, Good Vegan Options, Traditional Czech meals, turned vegan

Cons: SMOKING!!

There are much better places to eat... - Edit

There are two main problems I have with this restaurant:
1. It is in a former "pub", hidden underground. The air conditioning is non existing or not functioning, since every time we got in, the air is moldy and heavy. Enough to make you regret stepping in and prevent you enjoying your meal
2. The place is cheap, accomodated to locals for lunch breaks. This makes the cuisine not really innovative, tasting rather dumb, although sometimes an surprisingly good meal is served. Basically, many of the recipes are just typical Czech meat recipes turned vegetarian/vegan by changing meat for a meat alternative.

If you have traveled for some time, then you are probably used to a better vegetarian/vegan cuisine and will be disappointed.

It is certainly not a place I would take someone for a dinner...

Pros: Cheap, In the center

Cons: Food not very good, Air heavy and moldy

Just awesome! - Edit

It has atmosphere more like a pub, therefore is not very fit for more formal occasions but you must definitely visit this place when you are hungry! Most of the menu is vegan, they cook normal meals the vegan way, you can also try typical czech meal (goulash, svíčková). Also they have offer desserts. You always get a full plate of the meal, they serve generous portion for a very very rasionable prices. Just awesome place! I am sorry that in Prague is not a similar place.
Some people doesn't like the fact that it's possible to smoke inside, but nonsmokers can sit in the nonsmoking salon.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 22, 2014

Pros: prices, location, portions, wide offer of vegan dish, excellent taste

awesome. - Edit

It´s not looks like a restaurant, more like a pub eventhough I was always satisfied. Great food, great prices. IT is definitely the best vegan restaurant ever:-)

Pros: prices, menu, desserts

Cons: atmosphere more like a pub, music

Czech vegan food - Edit

It's good to eat in vegalite. It's tasty. It's cheap. There are also some concerts or parties, schedule is here http://vegalite.cz/program/

Pros: taste, ambience, price

Cons: mobile signal (very low or none)

Mostly vegan pub - Edit

This restaurant-pub is the perfect place for people who are vegans from non-healthy reasons and who are enjoying unhealthy food and alcohol. This place is very vegan friendly and in my opinion they offers the best vegan dumplings and lot of other Czech specialities (goulash, "svíčková") etc. They also offer very cheap daily menu with the three options.

I don't like the fact that it is possible to smoke cigarettes there, but I have to admit that it belongs to the whole pub atmosphere. Before your visit I advise to check the program on the website, because time after time they have punk concerts there.

Pros: delicious Czech food, nice vibe, big portions

Cons: smokey

Best place in town for vegans / vegetarians - Edit

Tasty food and great portion size, served by friendly staff. There's an English language menu. Everything is vegetarian and there are lots of vegan options.

I loved the cabbage soup for starter and the Robi burger with fries for main course.

Lots of locals go here and it feels like an authentic Czech experience.

There's also some great Czech beers including Starobrno and lesser known beers.

Pros: Excellent vegetarian and vegan food, Good choice of Czech beer on tap, Friendly service

Cons: A little smokey

Not exactly a restaurant? - Edit

Wow, Vegalite is really interesting place. It doesn't look like a restaurant, actually it's more like a pub. I was sitting in non-smoking part, so I don't now how the other parts look, but it was really... industrial, said my friend. At the time when I was there, there was no music, no people, so I didn't like it very much, but the menu! Oh my God! So many vegan options, also gluten-free dishes, in such big portions and with so nice price (3-4€)! I love it! Maybe it looks more like a place for drinking, but food offer is wide and encouraging. And tasty! ;-)

Pros: WIDE VEGAN OFFER!!!, nice prices, big portions, beer also ;-)

Cons: not very beautiful place

Nice place, lots of vegan options - Edit

I visited "Vegalife" at its old location a few years ago and I must say, the food did not impress me. When I went to the new location at Slovakova Street I did not expect too much, but I was wrong. I had the daily menu, a smoked tofu steak with rice, salad and a spicy sauce. It was simple, but very good! The staff was very friendly and helpful and spoke English. There was a menu available in English with quite a big selection of mostly vegan food. The venue has 2 sections, one for smokers and one for non-smokers. The smoker's part is the cosier one (that's where the bar is).

Pros: good value, friendly staff, good food

Cons: the nicer part is quite smoky

Good food. Friendly staff. - Edit

A nice place to eat, apparently one of very few in Brno. Very casual. The food is mostly vegan, and clearly marked as such on the menu. Has a variety of meals to choose from, from traditional (dumplings with red cabbage and grilled or fried seitan/linseed-based wraps) to some quite fancy stuff. The staff is very nice, too. Special offer menu at lunchtime (until 14). I've only eaten there once while on a very short visit to Brno, but would like to come back again. The entrance from the street is marked, walk through the gate and then down the stairs.

Pros: see, review

Mostly great - Edit

As the menu informed us, the name "Vegalite" was a fusion of "V" for vegan/vegetarian and the French "égalité" (equality), meaning that all livings things are the same before nature. So +1 in the philosophy department. It's generally a very likable place, with an urban leftish atmosphere. Lots of students, free WiFi and the occasional concert don't only makes this a good place to eat, but also for just hanging out with some friends and having a drink.

Their menu (also available in English) is pretty big and vegan options are clearly marked as such. Prices are good too, with around 1 Euro for a Soup and 3-4 for a main course. Alas the meals aren't always what the name promises, for example the Kung Pao -- while very good -- had neither chilis nor peanuts, which are usually the main ingredients. Also my girlfriend's Moussaka was rather short of aubergines and heavy on potatoes instead. That doesn't mean that the food isn't good, just that you won't necessarily get what you expect. The one exception to this was my rice though, which tasted like it never even shared a room with salt, let alone touched it. Unfortunately that made my otherwise excellent meal unnecessarily bland.

From what I read elsewhere there's also a non-smoking section, which we believe was full when we got there. That's why we had to sit in the main room, which can be quite smoky, which might be a turn-off for some people. It also got to us for a while and we left instead of having another drink.

This is the type of place where I wish I could give half cows on HappyCow, but since I liked the overall atmosphere of the place, I'll give it a 4 rather than a 3.

Pros: super friendly, vegan food clearly marked, atmosphere

Cons: smoke

highly recomend - Edit

I was at the restaurant last week and I would highly recomend it to any eater. My husband, who eats meat, was very happy there and me as vegetarian I did not know what to choose. The food is excellent, the choice is wide, the beer is great and the owners are both very nice guys.

Pros: food choice, club, owners ideas

Vegalite Brno - delicious - Edit

Vegalite is not easy to find, because you have to go along a corridor and then down the stairs to find it.
I really liked the atmosphere there, the waiter was very friendly and translated everything into English. All the meals (5 different meals were available) were vegan. The waiter said that usually, there are more meals available, but during the holidays the menu is reduced. It was very delicious and also cheap.
I certainly will come again and can recommend it to anyone.

Pros: vegan, friendly, cheap

Cons: difficult to find, the cellar walls are not perfectly paint

Return to Brno Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegalite closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6279 times since Sep 2009.