Sage's Cafe

Contact 801-322-3790

368 E, 100 S., Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84101

Vegan restaurant operating since 1999; at this space since Dec 2013. Menu is all vegan, mostly organic, and includes a raw food menu in addition to a kids menu. Nightly specials and changing themes, weekend brunch til 3pm. Has room for private event booking. Relocated from 234 West 900 South. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Catering

First Review by Deano

Xlnt - Edit

I loved this place.
Server, Sam, was helpful.
They played good music.
All vegan menu.
Traveling thru, with my wife, we have only ordered 4 selections and enjoyed all.
I had a great burger, made from cashews, garbanzos, with guacamole and a walnut pesto, try it with the 7 grain bun. This dish was ugly, but really good tasting. Came with superb side salad.
She had the soup, it was very good also.
We took, to go, two magic woks, both excellent as well.
I would go back to this place anytime.
Loved it.

Pros: Fresh vegan , T tasty, well prepared, small but good menu., Deserts, soups, salads, Yerba mate,

Cons: N. None

VEGAN! - Edit

I'm so happy I found a fully vegan place here in Utah!
I had the portabello risotto with garlic bread and let me tell you - it was amazing! They had a great menu including some raw options.
We went monday night which meant a 10% discount off the whole menu!
They also had Kombucha and it was such a cozy place! I wish I could go back!

Pros: Delicious food, Lots of options, KOMBUCHA

Excellent food - at there twice during my trip - Edit

The food was so good here we stopped by twice during our week-long visit to SLC.

They have an excellent selection of American comfort food. The prices are a bit high, but you get high quality.

They have a brunch menu on Saturday and Sunday that really delivers - their brown rice and fennel breakfast sausages are TO DIE FOR.

Pros: great food, wide variety, high quality

Cons: pricey

you get what you pay for - Edit

I think the food, selection, portions and quality is top notch. Maybe that's why it's so expensive! I go here as a treat with family or to celebrate, otherwise I hit up the more affordable epic vegan joints in town. This place is definitely worth checking out!
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 30, 2015
The pizza night (Tuesday) is so yummy! I like to go once a month. I just wish they didn't bring it out so slow! It's one slice at a time. At least you don't get sickly full super easy like at buffets.
Staff is good but not great.
Atmosphere is nice :)

Pros: Good food & selection, Good atmosphere

Cons: Expensive

One of the Nicest Vegan Restaurants Ever - Edit

I visited Sage's cafe twice on my visit to Salt Lake City. The first time we had dinner and shared the nut burger with guacamole and the special of the day. Both were mind glowingly delicious. The nut burger was made with chick peas and nuts. It was really light and one of my favorite veggie burgers. We liked it so much that we came back for brunch. This time we tried the crepe with vegetables and pesto and hash browns along with the brunch special. Both the brunch and dinner specials were amazing. They also have special nights like pizza night Tuesdays, Soul Food night, and Italian family night. I wanted to move to Salt Lake City after eating here. Highly recommend!

Pros: Gourmet Food, Reasonable prices for the quality, Amazing service

Cons: I honestly cannot think of any...

Always delicious - Edit

I've been going to Sage's for years and have never left disappointed. The food is creative, beautiful and always delicious. It might be a tad more expensive than other restaurants, but obviously vegan ingredients aren't the cheapest -- you pay for what you get.

On Tuesdays, they have an all-you-can-eat pizza night with tons of creative vegan pizzas. However, every time I do this I leave feeling too stuffed. I prefer to go and order off the regular menu, which has portion sizes that always fill me up perfectly.

Pros: Great food, Consistent

Cons: New location isn't great

Try their Brunch! - Edit

Update - July 2015:
Went here for brunch for Father's Day. It was a great experience, and delicious food. Filling, beautiful presentation, and everyone enjoyed. I definitely recommend going here for brunch!

Original review on Wednesday February 12, 2014:
Went here with my non-vegan partner and kids after running into it by accident one night. The new location is clean, modern decor, and the staff was friendly. Food was good. Me and one kid liked it, but another kid and my partner weren't crazy for it (but they are not vegetarian so sometimes they are difficult to please). Portions seemed a bit small for the price we paid. Overall, I was satisfied but not sure it will be a regular restaurant we visit.

Pros: Brunch is excellent!, Location, Decor, Staff

Cons: Price, Portions

Adore it - Edit

I adore Sages Cafe, I love the food options, I've never had something there that I didn't like, I love the versatility in the choices available I also love how there are more healthy options than what is available at vertical diner. My only negative feedback is sometimes when I am really hungry, one dish doesn't really satisfy my hunger. Also their new location has definitely more of a diner, loud feel, rather than their previous place which was very cozy and very quaint.

Pros: Awesome food, Great service

Cons: sometimes one dish feels small, can be loud

Bad Service - Edit

I was very exited to eat at Sage's, then we got there. The service there is now on my top 5 worse service I have ever received. The waitress was rude and seemed in a hurry to take our order even though the place was pretty empty. She didn't come to our table after giving us the food. We didn't get any napkins or ice in our water, and the water was room temperature at best. The food was good, but I was very discouraged with the terrible service.

Pros: Food was good, Big place

Cons: Bad Service, Mean employees

A solid vegan establishment - Edit

I was in SLC on business and looking for a good meal. I was there for two days and managed to eat at this place, their sister restaurant, and two other places (yes, I pigged out over two days), and this was my favorite place. The place is clean and comfortable and the menu was different. I actually went twice. I went for dinner by myself on the first night and then my client, knowing that I was vegan, took me here for lunch the next day. I had a tasty cuban sandwich for dinner. It was hot, fresh, and very well done. I found the prices to be reasonable.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Good food, Clean and comfortable

An old favorite, reincarnated - Edit

We'd been to the original Sage's location many times during past trips through SLC, so it was interesting to see the new digs. Fortunately, the food is still quite good.

In addition to a diverse regular menu, the daily specials are often creative and appealing. Brunch on the weekends has good offerings, too.

Service was warm and agreeable, and prices reasonable for the quality.

Enjoy!

Pretty good - Edit

I had the raw Pad Thai, essentially a salad. The dressing was fab - I could have eaten a bowl of it on its own. I think the cleanliness of the restaurant could be improved (I found some paper towel in my food), but the staff was really nice about it and everything else.

wonderful - Edit

pizza night is an all time fave for my partner and i! we go everyweek and at this point the staff know us. the food is unbelieveable, and well sourced. the only downside is that the service can be unattentive, but a few of the waiters are incredibly knowledgable.

Pros: pizza night, handicap accessable

Cons: moderate prices, unattentive staff

Fine Dining Menu with Barely a Diner Atmosphere - Edit

In 2010, I have this place 5-stars. Recently I returned to Salt Lake City for business and was very disappointed in the changes.

First, Sage's has moved from its formerly charming location in an old house to what looks like a renovated Chinese restaurant. The booth in which I was seated had defunct springs and crevaces.

The good news is that the lovely menu doesn't appear to have changed. The food was good, but not great. This is sad, because the food had once been top-notch.

I also was not impressed with our waiter who seemed inexperienced and could not possibly have paid less attention to us. Plus, from our window booth, I saw him pass by twice walking with an older man and carrying something in a plastic grocery bag. Hmmm...

Sage's was once a classy place, a restaurant for a Saturday night date. Not any more...

Updated from previous review on Sunday February 07, 2010

Pros: Good food, Handicapped accessible, Extensive fine-dining-type menu

Cons: Ugly decor and lumpy seats in booths, Strange wait staff , Expensive

Fit for a sage. - Edit

These guys were great. It's sort of a cross between a diner and a bit more upscale eatery - in food selection, ambiance and price.

Everything tasted fantastic and they were easy about looking after the kids with some ad-hoc dishes too.

The staff all presented as a bit counter-cultural which was a refreshment in SLC! On leaving we lamented that our SLC stay was so short and that we'd not get a chance to return.

Pros: All vegan, Great taste, Ambiance

Cons: A tad pricey.

Contributions +394

Awesome Vegan Place in SLC - Edit

I had the Philly and it was sooooo good!!! The inside is really done up nice like a modern diner. The staff are also very friendly. Everything on the menu looked so good!!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Tasty Food

Great Food, Nice Atmosphere - Edit

The food here is pretty good, although some dishes seems a little more tasty than others. I had the Alfredo Linguini, and it was pretty good, but I wouldn't get it again. The breakfast sausage side was actually excellent, and I would definitely get that again. Overall, it's a fine place for vegans to eat in the Salt Lake City area, but it might take a few times to figure out which dishes are your favorites.

Pros: Great Food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Slightly Diner like, Some dishes bland

lacks pizzazz - Edit

Sage's Cafe has mediocre food and a boring atmosphere. The server was completely unfriendly and there were ants hanging out at our table. This is not fine dining, it is more like a diner.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 30, 2014

Pros: organic, lots of variety

Cons: unfriendly server, like a diner with no character

Amazing - Edit

I was here in 2013. This is a more of a fine dining restaurant, not casual, so it should be a given that it'll be more expensive and with smaller portions than casual places. The tiramisu I had was a standout, and the appetizer I got (bruschetta, I think) and the red wine were also delicious.

Pros: all vegan, excellent food, nice vibe

Overpriced and not much to fill your plate - Edit

Be prepared to overpay for some fancy frilly salad. You will walk away wondering what you just paid for. Not to mention the pretentious demeanor of some of the employees and the chef. I would not recommend Sage's...no thanks!

Pros: vegan

Cons: overpriced, frilly salad with nothing filling, self righteous atmosphere

Great experience! - Edit

My husband, son and I recently visited Sage and each enjoyed our meal. The menu has pretty good variety, service was friendly and the food was good. The only semi downside was the portion size vs cost; you will very likely not have leftovers but we all felt full.

Also, if you are taking advantage of one of their specials, be sure to check your bill. We were told you're only given the special discount (from their website) if you ask.

Pros: Menu selection , Service, Good food

Cons: Portion size, Prices

A Favorite - Edit

I love Sages. They are one of my favorites in SLC. I always recommend this place to non-vegan etc. I love their food, I would recommend 90 percent of their items with full confidence that the meal would be satisfying if not amazing. Great experience every time, I love the ambiance, I love the food, so glad they expanded.

Pros: Amazing!, Delish!, Great Ambiance!

Cons: Pricey, Not Always Quick, Busy

Great food... Great new interior... FRIENDLY - Edit

Great ALL vegan menu!! This restaurant is a sister location to our favorite Vegan place The Vertical Diner, yet the menus are each original a diverse. A MUST for Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten Free folks. Carnivores - DON'T BE AFRAID OR SISSYS! It's great food - period. We had the Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich and Alfredo Pasta. The sandwich was our favorite. Topped it off with a Brownie Sundae. They make their own Seitan, a great silky vegan aioli, and crisp fresh french fries and super cool custom beverages. We will always visit when in SLC. The staff is SUPER knowledgable about the menu (Janet was our server).

Pros: Clean, Diverse menu, ALL meat and dairy free

Cons: Beware- they have a new location, Be sure to get their NEW address

The carrot pate and tiramisu are amazing - Edit

I went here in Sept during a visit to SLC and was very pleased with the food. It was quite small, little hidden away behind some foliage and the decor has a bohemian French feel. But the food is excellent; we had a carrot pate with garlic mushrooms which was gorgeous, my risotto was rich and creamy, but the best by far was the amazing tiramisu - all vegan and all tasted expensive and exceptional. Their beer and wine selection was very good as well. The staff were helpful and friendly, but service was a little slow and we were serenaded by a musician (which I never feel comfortable with in restaurants). But if you want an intimate little place that serves really exceptional tasting vegan food, then this is a great place to eat.

Pros: Quality/taste of food, Feels small/non corporate

Cons: a little expensive, guitarist

Pizza night - Edit

I have been here a few times. I usually frequent vertical more often. The few times I have been for pizza night have all been very inconsistent. First time was pretty amazing. They kept bringing pizza after pizza. The second time they barely brought me any pizza. I had to keep asking if they would bring some by the table. I was with my boyfriend and dad at the time who had never been and it was pretty disappointing. This last time I went I maybe got 3 slices of pizza over the hour we were there. I was completely bummed out. I don't think I will be going back. :(

good food not so good price - Edit

I enjoy the food from sages. I really do. But the price is not worth the quantity of the food given. I much prefer going across the street and getting a sandwich from buds for $6. That being said sages has many more options. Is a nicer place to dine and has been around much longer. We are blessed to have so many options in SLC.

Pros: Good food

Cons: overpriced, small portions

Great Restaurant - Edit

Our experience at Sages was a very positive one. They menu has a diverse selection of vegan meals that are quite creative. Both times we went, the food was excellent. While the food is really good, it is the staff that makes Sages so good. They are friendly and knowledgeable and will take the time to explain the menu and work around any food issues you might have.

We will definitely go back again next time we are in Salt Lake City.

Pros: excellent food, great staff, comfortable setting

Loving the tacos and pizza - Edit

During our week long stay in SLC we went to Sages 3 times. The first night was an all-you-can-eat pizza feed. They bring out one pizza at a time and serve you one thin little slice at a time of all sorts of unique flavors! There were more basic ones like italian sausage with marinara sauce, and more interesting ones like thai. I can't remember what most were called but they were all so good! Everything, even the cheese, from scratch! Recommended for vegans and non-vegans alike! The tiny little slices enable you to try a ton of different pizzas so it rocks. The pizza feeds are on Tuesday evenings only. Another time we got a sandwich and the daily special (A Shepherd's pie) and a sandwich. While both were good, I would have to say the Shepherd's pie, as delicious as it was, was not really enough food. The sandwich was good but the bread a bit too thick. The last time we went we got another special (a potato/spag. squash/gravy dish) which was also WAY too small for the price, pretty much a rip-off. We also got the tacos which were delicious and highly recommended. They also have great wine. We really enjoyed Sages and if we ever make it to Utah again will surely eat there again.

Pros: all-you-can-eat-amazing-pizza, tacos

Cons: some of the "specials" were a rip-off

A Must for SLC Visitors - Edit

Sage's Cafe always pleases me. Their salads are phenomenal and they offer good portions. Sometimes they have pizza nights and sometimes the waiter will even give you a free slice if you're real friendly.

They have a variety of menu options and nightly specials.

Pros: huge menu, friendly service, tasty food

Cons: pricey

Great food - Edit

Had a hard time finding this place, the sign is small and behind a bush. Seemed like a very casual type place. Had the picadillo and it was sooo good! I wish I could have it again right now. Would definitely go back.

Pros: Food

Cons: Prices, Ambience

Deserves Praises - Edit

What a delight! We went on Pizza night and it was a blast! With friendly staff and wonderful customers (packed), this restaurant was a highlight of our vacation! I must tell you that it was a wonderful vacation to the Tetons and Yellowstone, and for a small restaurant to become a main talking point, is an achievement. Mormons are not known for their long life spans and the main reason is their poor diet, and so if I were one of them, I would recommend visiting this restaurant and sampling truly healthy and yet delicious food. Of course, maybe the management would rather have them stay away. The pizza was served by a person who wandered from one table to another, announcing what she now had. We tried four different varieties and all were delicious. If you have go to this strange part of the country, remember that this oasis exists and is an amazing adventure.

Pros: Food, Staff!, Ambiance

yummy desserts! - Edit

We had the pesto linguini and the taxis for supper. Both were good. The taco were very flavorful. We also had the fresh tasting carrot cashew crostini. The best was the awesome brownie sundae!

Pros: vegan sundae, all vegan

Great Food, Open Regualr Everyday, Spotty Service - Edit

I really want to give Sage's a five star reveiw. The expereince at Sage's varies depending on whether you get a good server or a poor server and it's really hit or miss on this, you never quite know what to expect.

The Food has always been great, everything is vegan of course and they have a different special everyday which adds variety, "I believe all vegan restaraunts should do this," there are so few vegan restarurants that the same manu gets boring, Sage's figured this out. They also have a Raw night, which is really hit or miss, fantastic or extremely bland. They also started partcipating in meatless monday, which I generally always go to, but again is inconsistent depending on the server on whether you get 25% off or not.

The envorioment is really nice, you're basically eating inside of a house, and the outdoor patio is covered in grape vines which actually provides shade.

One peice of advice, if you like to dine in, at this restaurant and you just went to starbucks or like to add anything to your food, do not do it. Go somewhere else or get it to go. They do NOT permit ANY outside food or beverage of any kind and will ask you to leave regardless of what it is, whether it be vegan and organic makes no difference.

Most of the staff is very nice and the food is really consistent and good. The magical wok is amazing and the tarimisu is the best vegan desert I have had in Salt Lake. Be careful when asking for extra sauce or changing things as it may cost extra so be sure to ask.

I highly recommend Sage's if you are vegan and in salt lake, you pretty much have to try it.

Pros: Rotating Specials, Brunch and Raw Night, Great Atmosphere

Cons: Spotty Service at Times, Extremely Strict Outside Food Policy, Strange Inconsistencies at Times

Vegan and Organic - Edit

This place gets "Best Vegetarian" every year and for good reason. Just about everything here tastes great. It is pricey though. Everything is vegan and they use local, organic ingredients as much as possible.

Tuesday - all you can eat pizza and salad for $13 is a pretty good deal.

Breakfast dishes are big enough to share, unless you are starving. Try the carrot butter crostinis, they are great.

Pros: vegan, great staff, organic

Cons: expensive, small portions

Mostly Good - Edit

THE GOOD: the service and the dinner food. Service-wise, our waitress was very patient with our large and arguably difficult table. Food-wise, my companions really enjoyed the all-you-can-eat pizza with varying flavors (Thai Pizza, Hummus and Black Bean, Roasted Veggies and Marinara, Curry Veg, Dessert Pizza with Dates/Figs, etc.). I had the Guac-N-Roll and another dining companion had the Nut Burger. These were basically the same dish but the latter doesn't have guacamole. Still, the nut burger patty was great and I loved the seedy roll on which it came. We also enjoyed the Bruschetta appetizer, but didn't really like the Asian Lettuce Wraps (ginger overpowered the dish).

THE MEH: the dessert. In the interest of full disclosure, I hail from Philadelphia, land of the best vegan bakery in the country (Vegan Treats) so I bring a certain high expectation to vegan desserts. We ordered the rum-infused bananas, tiramisu, brownie with ice cream, and chocolate chip cookie madness. All of these were just okay except for the tiramisu which was just not good. It had a strange flavor (soy?) that dominated the custard layer. It was recommended to us by the waitress, but it was really not good.

P.S. Portions are tiny. My nut burger patty was much smaller than the palm of my hand and it came with no side of salad or fries. Of course, these portions reflect what a healthy person who sincerely wants to lose weight would eat; these portions do not reflect what the standard American would expect to eat given the price points.

Pros: Nut Burger, Pizza, Service

Cons: Desserts, Portion Sizes

wait staff ruined the expeience - Edit

In Sage's last night, and the waitress was so loud and **bubbly,** I coudln't even hear myself think. She gave the same over the top spiel to every new table, telling them what they were going to order, etc. If she could have dialed it down, the whole experience would have been much better. And the tomato pomodoro that she was selling hard was too sweet and not worth the $16. The carrot cake, I will say, was excellent, even though it took them about 10 minutes to get it ready.

Pros: Good size menu, Good location, Nice ambiance

Cons: Loud waitress, Mediocre food

Great date night - Edit

Sage's is really the only place you can go in SLC and Utah County for a nice date night. It's my and my hubby's go-to birthday, anniversary, etc. meal place.

Their dinner menu is good, and though it's not amazing it does hit the spot. They have a decent selection of entrees and desserts. They also have raw options.

Their brunch menu is fantastic. A perfect place to go on Saturday afternoons after you are done skiing or just to relax.

I do not, however, recommend going on their all you can eat pizza night on Tuesdays. The pizza is a conglomeration of all the food and sauces they didn't use during the week and I think it's disgusting.

Cute Place, Good Food - Edit

Food: I had a Philly "cheesesteak" with tempeh. I loved it! I don't know what they made the "cheese" sauce with, but it was some of the best vegan cheese I've ever had! My boyfriend had French toast, which was decently tasty but not all too impressive. While both meals were not very big in size, I'd say his was the lesser filling one (and thus the more disappointing one, in a way).

Prices: Sort of pricey, but about average for an all vegan restaurant that also uses local ingredients.

Atmosphere: very quaint! I much preferred the atmosphere and the music here to the Vertical Cafe (where I had been the night before).

Staff: friendly.

Pros: All vegan!, Yummy food, Cute atmosphere

Cons: Menu is sort of "fancy vegan", A bit pricey

Contributions +309

Amazing! - Edit

I brought my two omnivore friends to eat here one afternoon as we were passing through Salt Lake City. Everyone loved the food, and the service was great!

I had the Picadillo Vegetariano, and it was phenomenal! Perfect blend of spices and seasoning, and the combination of ingredients was superb. The side greens were crisp, fresh, and came with an amazing vinaigrette.

I'll definitely be back here the next time I'm in Salt Lake City.

Pros: Perfectly seasoned food, Fresh ingredients, Great service

MMM! :) - Edit

Ok, well lets begin. Sage's Cafe has very yummy food, however there is not much diversity. Despite that, the dishes they do have are de-lec-ta-ble! A little pricey but overall very good, Id recommend it to anyone! :)

Pros: Organic, Tasty, Friendly staff

Cons: Pricey, Small, Small entre selection

A staple - Edit

I love Sage's! It is a staple restaurant for me. Their food is so delicious and the service is always great. I go for brunch often and for dinner on special occasions. They even give you a free dessert on your birthday! I recommend the rum banana a la mode.

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Service

Wonderful - Edit

Sage's was the first vegan restaurant that I went to in SLC, and it is one of the best. The atmosphere is wonderful. Relaxing, quaint yet sophisticated in a way. The food is out of this world good. The staff is very helpful, and the prices are decent. It's a little pricy for raw food items, but that is to be expected. And the vegan milkshakes are delicious!

My Fave!!! - Edit

Oh oh oh oh oh!! This was my first experience at a fully vegan restaurant. I ate there a couple of years ago for the first time. To date it is my favorite vegan/vegetarian place. I wish I lived closer. I went there three times in two days. My next visit to SLC I went there twice. And I can't wait to return.

The restaurant has a cute ambiance that seems to be standard of veggie/vegan dining establishments. It *kind of* reminds me of all the cute little local eateries in Manhattan. You could go there dressed up or casual and nobody would make you feel out of place. I really enjoyed eating in the 'sunroom'. The staff was very friendly and always willing to help choose items and explain the dishes.

My favorite was the mushroom tacos. So, so good!! I crave them! :)

The prices seemed moderate. Not inexpensive, but also not break the bank. However, if I lived in SLC I'd have to eat there everyday, therefore depleting my bank account, but it'd be well worth it!

My mom (who is not vegetarian at all) went with me on one of my trips and she loved the place, too!! She had no idea some of things (like the sour cream) was vegan. Fooling a carnivore?! Way to go Sage's!

Pros: Large menu, DELICIOUS food, great ambiance

Great menu, service could be better... - Edit

A friend recommended Sages to me,and, on the day I was there it wasn't very crowded. There were only about four or five people seated, and still the food took nearly an hour to reach us. I was on a date, and the waitress made the rude comment that we looked like we were related. The good thing is that the food is wonderful! I guess they think it's acceptable to put up with the other things, because of this. My advice is that you only visit Sages if you're not very hungry and don't mind waiting...

Pros: organic, delicious food, not too pricey

Cons: slow service, staff, not enough seating

Wonderful! - Edit

Absolutely wonderful from start to finish! Garlic soup was outstanding, as were the taco's my husband ordered. The service was expediant and very friendly. Not too pricey. We sat on the inside deck area...would like to see some sort of shading, not to obstruct the view however it gets pretty toasty when the sun is beating down on you. Love the ambiance!

Wonderful Place - Edit

My non vegan friend took me here and we were seated right away. The food did take a little time to get to the table but thats expected from a place that makes from scratch. When it arrived it was VERY good. The waitress was also very nice. This place is my new favorite restaurant. =]

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

So good! - Edit

On our first ever trip to Salt Lake City, we knew we wanted to try Sage's based on Happy Cow reviews we read. The place did not disappoint and everything was delicious. Great breakfast food and had a yummy dessert (tiramisu). Atmosphere was cozy and the service was prompt and friendly. Highly recommended.

Pros: vegan breakfast, tasty food, nice presentation/atmosphere

Very nice cafe!!! - Edit

My wife and I had a late lunch and truly enjoyed ourselfs. There is a reason why this restaurant has won so many awards. It simply has it down. The food was great with lots of variety and flavors to enjoy. Do not forget the desserts!!!!
The service was good, very friendly and helpful!! I highly recommend this cafe. I am looking forward for our next visit!

Pros: Great food, Great desserts, Good service

Delicious! - Edit

This is a gorgeous, delicious restaurant. The menu is well thought out and they have great specials like Tuesday all you can eat pizza! for 10.95. They even have raw foods nights.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Beautiful

Cons: A little slow, Small Restaurant, Can be busy

great food, slow service - Edit

That about says it all. We've been twice now and suffered significant delays both times when it wasn't busy at all - seating, menus, food serving, etc. It shouldn't take 45 minutes to get your food once you order. And your appetizer should come before your dinner, not with. The food is great when you get it.

Pros: tasty

Cons: service

I'm In Love - Edit

This is my FAVORITE vegan restaurant in SLC. I go all the time and have never had a bad experience. I've tried several breakfast items and all have been MORE than satisfactory. The Pesto Sub is a favorite, as well as the House Salad! You've gotta try Sage's!!!

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Pizza Night

Cons: NONE

Need More Sage Cafes - Edit

During my roadtrip from Cali to Chicago, Sage Cafe became a very welcome discovery....so much I wouldn't mind making a trip back to SLC just to eat there!

My carnivore friend and I loved every morsel and moment there. I'd the Tacos with tempeh....
The server even went above and beyond to recommend some not-to-be missed non-tourist spots in SLC. Thanks!

Pros: Great taste, Service, Good price

Cons: Utah location : )

Worth the hype! - Edit

I was looking for a vegan resturant in the area, and after reading all of the great marks for Sages, I decided to give it a try. And I'm glad to say it was well worth the hype. Great atmosphere, good food, clean bathroom, and terrific service. The server was very friendly. The food was good, especially the tiramisu. Good portion sizes too. I love the sun porch dining room. I'd definitely reccomend the clean little cafe to anyone. It was my first vegan resturant, and I'm glad I chose this one.

Pros: Clean, Good service, Good atmosphere

Cheap, Organic and vegan ~ what more do you want? - Edit

This place was awesome. Who knew in Utah, right? We ate huge meals in the cafe, and then brought dinner from them in the cooler. The best was the soba salad. The homemade seitan, or chicken, was good, but I agree it should have been cut thinner, but also personal taste.

The staff was awesome all the way around. The bathroom was clean, as was the cafe in general. More than stoked to find this place...
Also very cost friendly

Pros: cheap OG vegan food, Price, Staff

vegan food at a friendly place - Edit

The place is very inviting and the staff friendly. My one only complaint is that the menu is very limited but what they have is very good, except for the salsa in my opinion which is more a tomatoe sauce than a salsa and the veggie chicken should probably be cut thinner for the sandwich (but that's a question of personal taste). The prices are really great for a strictly vegan restaurant.
I also love that they have animal rights, evironmental, and vegan magazines there.

Pros: very good food, good service, activist matrial

Cons: limited menu

what a shock - Edit

We didn't expect Salt Lake City to have such a brilliant vegan cafe. The food is gourmet quality and the staff are excellent. This is a surprisingly classy place; ideal for most occasions - including a romantic evening. There's even the option on Tuesday nights of stuffing your face with pizza until you explode. All for $11.
They also have an awesome oatmeal stout - ideal for people who loved Guinness until they realised it was made with fish.

Pros: gourmet quality, good staff, vegan pizzas

Cons: a little pricey for some

Excellent cafe fare - Edit

This place was so delightful and cozy, with wonderful vegan fare, that I wish I could go back right now! Although arriving for breakfast during peak hours, the staff remained attentive and friendly. There is a broad array of dishes to satisfy any breakfast/brunch desire! Even non-vegans will love this place! The portions are great - almost a bit too much food for the price! The flavor combinations are excellent, the basil pesto crepe especially! The whole grain french toast - very satisfying! I don't know how they do it! There were way too many choices to choose from! Tasty, healthy, organic, vegan - what more could a cafe hope to be? Well, maybe one thing - better dessert. Overall, excellent cafe fare!

Pros: staff, diverse menu, cozy atmosphere

Cons: more seating needed, needs better dessert

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sage's Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12546 times since Aug 2007.