First Review by dontbedaft

Pretty Good - Edit

I had the Barbacoa Burrito, which was pretty good. It was plenty of food for the price. The texture of the jackfruit was nice, and it had a pretty good flavor. It was a windy day so sitting outside was a little irritating because my chip bag kept going everywhere, and it was hard to eat. The benches are also a little rickety. Setting aside, the food was good, and I would happily go there again to pick up food to bring HOME to eat.

Pros: Pretty good food, Reasonably priced

Cons: Outdoor seating

Best. Sandwiches. Ever - Edit

Thanks to the Whichside podcast dudes for recommending this place to us on our recent trip through Salt Lake City.
This place is fast, affordable, and delicious! It's a walk up location and there is no seating, but it's worth it.
We had the cheese steak, and the pizza steak sandwich with extra seitan. They give you a generous side order, so get it! It's worth the extra few bucks because you can easily make two meals out of one sandwich.
The flavors were perfect comfort food, the bread was some of the best I've ever had, the cashew cheese on point! Coming from a vegan cheese maker, I can attribute to their greatness! Get the zucchini cookie too!
I'm grateful for Buds, and proud to support these amazing humans.
Want to open a second location in Portland? I'll work for you. :D

Very nice Sandwich - Edit

A very nice sandwich, with good service and prices. The staff are friendly and helpful. There is no indoor seating--so take away only during bad weather. I had the Vegan Chicken Pesto sandwich and I recommend it.

Pros: Good Sandwich , Pleasant Staff, Reasonable Prices

Cons: No indoor seating--outdoor seating

my bud, buds. - Edit

AMAZING FOOD! Had my non vegan coworkers get food from here and they loved it too. They said it's better than any sandwiches they get. And I agree love the food here they make their jackfruit perfect. And the pesto chicken is amazing. And the price is perfect for the food you get. I couldn't say enough good about this place.

just okay - Edit

Ate here while on vacation. I had the Barbacoa wrap. It seemed like one of those sandwiches you expect your stoned college roommate to come up with - random ingredients thrown together on a roll. It wasn't awful but I won't go out of my way to return to Budz on my next trip to SLC.

Pros: cheap, large portion

As advertised. Fab sandwiches - Edit

Hot, squishy sandwiches on sour dough roll or tortilla wrap. Outdoor tables x3 under shade trees. Nothing fancy, just a great sandwich experience without the "hold the cheese, mayo" yada yada.

Pros: sandwich variety , fast, almost immediate service

Cons: chocolate chip cookie dry, lacking depth of flavor

Better vegan food than Portland, OR! - Edit

This restaurant is so delicious, my non vegan boyfriend says it's the best sandwhich he's had, and I loved it too. He had the barbacoa and I had the cheese steak. Service was great, also inexpensive. Portland, my home town, prides themselves on vegan options and I haven't had any sandwiches this good at home!

Pros: inexpensive , Delicious

Cons: No bathroom, only outside seating.

Great Lunch Place! - Edit

The BBQ jackfruit wrap is out of the world! I can't ever get anything else because I just keep getting this. It is a real treat. Highly recommend. My mom who is not vegan and a super picky eater got the spinach salad and chips and salsa, haha, nothing scary there...

Pros: Nice outdoor seating, Friendly staff, Great food

Cons: Can get crowded - because its so good!, Weather can be an issue/no indoor option

amazing vegan lunch on the run - Edit

Holy monkeys batman. Just delicious.
Total sandwich, chips, drink place - but vegan!!!
I like that you can choose between a wrap or a roll. The barbacoa is just pure amazing - they added ginger to the recipe, so good. Since there is no inside, just window pick up, I like that they have a wide overhang and radiant heater (during winter).
Staff was very nice and I like using the iPad for orders. Parking is pretty good too.

Pros: pure deliciousness, fair prices, variety of options

LIFE CHANGING - Edit

I went here a while ago and tried the buffalo, the barbacoa, and the philly cheese steak (shared with people, there is no way you could eat three as they're huge subs). All of them were so good I'm STILL thinking about them and planning my next visit. My boyfriend who eats meat loves them too. The only seating is outdoor so go on a nice day or plan to get take out!

I recommend the buffalo and the cookies are good too!

Pros: THE BEST

Cons: addictive, no indoor seating ):

Cheap, easy, and delicious - Edit

I love the idea of a vegan sandwich shop…I tried the Barbacoa sandwich in a wrap which had shredded jackfruit, black beans, guacamole, barbecue sauce, ginger sour cream, and shredded cabbage. It was amazing. Honestly, I wanted to try all the sandwiches as they all looked delicious. I highly recommend if you would like delicious food for a good price!

Pros: delicious, easy, cheap

Cons: it is not fancy, so not for all

Excellent - Edit

I've only eaten here once, but what I got was amazing! I ordered the taco salad with jackfruit, wow! Such an impressive dish, so amazing, would love to go back!

Pros: Amazing food

Cons: Seating can get a little squishy

delicious and filling - Edit

So glad we drove into SLC for sandwiches here. So darn good!! Made with love and great ingredients. we had the pesto and the BBQ sandwich. Amazing. The BBQ was spicy and creamy - mmmm have missed this since becoming vegan. The sandwiches are big btw - so bring an appetite.

Pros: big healthy portions , delicious , nice to sit at big picnic tables family style :)

Cons: wish there was one in park city :)

Fantastic. try the salads - Edit

The salads are every bit as good as the sandwiches but add lettuce. They come on a tortilla so it's almost like a wrap.

cheers

Pros: vegan, quick take out

Cons: no inside seating

Delicious food! - Edit

Everything I have tried here is great!

Pros: Delicious food, Good prices, Friendly staff

THEYRE BACK - Edit

im so happy that buds has returned, and the menu revamp has nothing bad on it! it was a long wait but worth it. i recommend the buffalo with a cookie! (:

My Absolute Favorite! LOVE At First Bite! - Edit

Update: Buds is once again open after their remodeling. A bit different ordering outside, and no longer any seats on the interior - but still has picnic table outside. Food and cookies are just as good as ever!

Original review: This is the best place for sandwiches downtown. Seriously my favorite lunch spot. When you walk in, you'll notice that the place is tiny, and only has room for 3-4 people to sit inside. Don't let that discourage you because the staff is great and the food is to die for! I go here regularly for the buffalo chicken. I've also tried the meatball which was good but the buffalo chicken is the best. I keep meaning to try the other options, but the buffalo chicken sandwiches visit me in my dreams and I can never resist getting another when I'm ordering. Seriously though, the food is GOOD! Don't miss this one. Stop by when you're craving a good size sandwich for a decent price, you'll be glad you did!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 12, 2014

Pros: Addicting Food, Good Value For The Money, Staff Is Friendly

Cons: Size Of Restaurant But All The Pros Make Up For It

Good sandwiches - Edit

Buds offers an assortment of sandwiches, most of them with soy curls. Some of my favorites are the meatball and pesto subs. The sandwiches are flavorful and very filling. If you're in the mood for a big meaty sandwich I'd recommend it.

However, everything on their menu is very similar and the sandwiches have too much 'meat' (whether it's soy curls, meatballs, etc) in them for my taste. It makes them pretty heavy and not very healthy tasting.

Their new location does not have an indoor dining area but their new outdoor walkup window makes it easier to order when they're busy.

Pros: Good sandwiches, Filling

Cons: Not a lot of diversity , No indoor dining

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Buds closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.