Romeow Cat Bistrot

06-57289203

Via Francesco Negri, 15, Rome, Italy, 00154

Opened late-2014 this bistro serves vegan and raw-vegan dishes (from 8pm) inspired by local and international cuisines. Diners eat in the company of six cats who wander around the tables. Cozy atmosphere. Reservations are required for dinner, usually 5+ days in advance. Open Wed-Sun 11:00am-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Italian, Raw, Fusion

First Review by MauradelGusto

Cats to attract customers - Edit

Most of people eat here because "it is the place with the cats walking around". this means to me an explotation of the animals, even if nobody hurts them of course.
I had a quick meal here and left even hungrier because of the small portions.
I would not eat here again.

Badgering - Edit

Made a reservation recently while staying in Rome and due to scheduling lost track of time and 5 minutes after our reservation time had passed I received a rather indignant call from someone asking where I was and why I wasn't there only to go on and on about being a small restaurant and by me not being their was costing them money. I did apologize but the tone set by this individual only elevated my response back to them.

What really got me was 4+ hrs after the initial call (805pm now 1239am) I received a text from the restaurant basically apologizing for the misunderstanding but going on to school me about the reservation and them being a small restaurant.

I have travelled to many places all over the world and not once have I received any type of behavior over a reservation that I received from the Romeow Cat Bistro.

While I wish them all the success in the world I would seriously rethink on how to speak to potential customers and leave the badgering skill set at home.

We loved it! - Edit

Food was excellent, high quality, good portion sizes and amazing desserts. Staff friendly and helpful. A little out of the central area but an easy metro ride and nice to see a different non-touristy part of Rome. Need to book, it was packed when we were there on a Wednesday evening in March. Some of the best vegan food (definitely the best cheesecake!) I have had anywhere. Cats were an added extra, mostly asleep- if we had gone mainly to play with cats we might have been disappointed, but the food is well worth the trip.

Pros: superb food, lovely atmosphere, cats!

First vegan cheese cake - Edit

I've been here a few months ago. Everything we ate tasted really nice. I also really liked the interior with this whole cat theme, it really makes the experience of dining here a unique one. I especially recommend the chocolate cheesecake, which was the best out of everything we had. It was also my very first vegan cheesecake and it was a real pleasant experience!

Room for improvement - Edit

Any place that is delivering mostly organic, vegan food deserves a huge thank you! We loved the coffees and the little biscuits served with them. But we expected healthier fare. The food was really lacking any finesse and flavours were strange. Frustrated in Rome trying to find HEALTHY vegan options- besides salad.

Pros: Nice staff, Great almond milk cappuccino , Generous portions

Cons: Vegan yes, healthy no, Strange flavour pairings, Poor location

An experience - Edit

Very cool place! Weloved the interior and the cats way of ovine around in the room.

Pros: Cats, Interior, Food

Cons: Far away , Simple food but okay

great food but slightly ruined by unfriendly staff - Edit

We booked way in advance of our trip to Rome and were really looking forward to our visit. We arrived early and the lady who greeted us was happy for us to have our aperitif outside. When we moved back inside to the table we had been told was reserved for us, at the time our table was booked for, another lady insisted that we had to move. She would not listen when told her that we had been told this was the table we had reserved. We both thought the food was excellent but the experience was marred by the attitude of that one member of staff, which is a shame.

Pros: lovely vegan food , greeted by friendly member of staff

Cons: one member of staff rude made us feel very unwelco

One of the best restaurants in Rome - Edit

Romeow is one of my favourite restaurants in Rome. The place is really stylish and there are climbing trees and paths were the cats can play or find a place to sleep. The cats are very friendly and it is great to watch them play. The food is amazing. They change menu quite often and every time I went there I found mouthwatering options. The desserts are amazing too. It is a bit more pricey than other restaurants in Rome, but considering the quality of the food, the fact that the use also ingredients that are not easy to find in Italy and that they have six cats to take care of, I really think that the prices are quite reasonable. Book well in advance because the restaurant is not very big and it is always fully booked.

Pros: delicious food, cats, cats cats, nice vibe

Cats + Great Food = Fun Experience! - Edit

We had a great time dining with the cats! Gourmet vegan food was delicious. You must have a reservation; we saw lots of walk-ins being turned away because every table was full.

You get what you pay for - Edit

Went there for a quiet lunch by myself and got a quinoa dish that was mixed with some veggies and decorated quite elegantly with a few dabs of vegan mayo and a few currant berries, then had a berry cheesecake for dessert. It's a cute place, but it is very expensive. I understand that it's a high quality restaurant but I won't be going back for a while because eating there often would be way too hard on my wallet. The cats are nice and the staff is welcoming, but I got a bit of a tense/snobby vibe when I was there. Not necessarily towards me, just that if I wasn't dressed nicely and if I were less of a well-mannered and properly educated person I would not have been as welcome. It's not a place you can go to in a pair of sweats for a quick coffee, it's more high-end and classy than that. It's definitely a place well suited for those who are a little more on the "pariolini" side (fellow Romans, I know you know what I'm talking about). It's a bit cozy in there, but if you are polite and respectful (aka you follow the rules of proper etiquette, aka a couple sitting at a nearby table was asked to turn their music off because they were playing it out loud) then you will feel right at home. But you're either going to feel that tense vibe or you'll feel there is a homey air, there really is no in between. Aside from the atmosphere it was a pleasant experience. You do get what you pay for in the end.

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Didn't like the atmosphere, Expensive

Really lovely atmosphere in this cat cafeteria - Edit

I just went for a cappuccino (excellent, by the way).
The place is really lovely and cozy, the owners very friendly and easy going. Six cats play around the place, so it is a place for cat lovers.
Prices are in line with the quality and attention, so quite high.
Cappuccino was 3,5 euros, but came with some vegan heart shaped biscuits, so it was ok.
Dinner seems expensive but would definitely give it a try next time in Rome.

cats! - Edit

When i got there they already stopped serving lunch so i just got a raw vegan cake and a coffee which were both great . Kitties were the most adorable even though understandably you can play with them if they are sleeping. The only con i can think of was the stuff , which was not at al friendly towards fellow vegan cat -lover !

Great Idea - We like our meals with cats :) - Edit

We went there for our Valentines Day Dinner. We were seated at a big table with others, which was ok because they told us in advance and you didn't sit very close to the other person. What seemed a bit odd to us was that they seem to rush everything. You're seated, you order immediatly, it arrives very quickly and they come and pick up the plate a soon as you lay down your fork. Therefore it wasn't very romantic and over in under an hour though we had 3 courses. The staff is nice enough but seem to want you out there quickly. The food was good though and quiet special, too but the portions were very very small. Good red wine!

Pros: Has cats and very good wine, location near the sta, If you ask you can have an english menu, Location pretty and cosy

Cons: they rush everything and the portions are very sma

very very good place - Edit

I believe the best vegan restaurant in my city. Nice place, kind staff and very very good cuisine. All dishes are delicious!

Forse il miglior ristorante vegano a Roma. Posto carino, bella atmosfera, personale gentilissimo, servizio impeccabile e soprattutto piatti prelibati (tutto buonissimo e i dolci erano qualcosa di spettacolare). Ci torneremo volentieri quanto prima.

one of a kind*** - Edit

Great concept, out of the box thinking that puts a new light on veganism. Good food, great staff, positive vibes and a cozy place. Beautiful place with an even more beautiful concept.

Not tasted the food... - Edit

I've walked half of the city to went into this place... and when I finally arrived, it was full.
My mistake I didn't made a reservation but the owners didn't made anything to provide me a solution and recommended me another place instead... a disappointment!

Pros: Cats were fine

Cons: Needs reservation, 3 days in advance, Staff was a bit... disappointing

cosy, but expensive - Edit

Quick, cosy and clean. easy to find. close to piramide metro station. Nice staff, and fun with cats walking around your feets. The food is rasty, but its very expensive. You dont get good value for your money

Pros: Quick, cosy and clean. easy to find. close to pira

Cons: very expensive and small portions.

nice location, dissapointing food - Edit

We visited the restaurant in August 2015 and liked the atmosphere and the nice staff there very much.
Unfortunately the food is far too expensive as the dishes are relatively small and don't make you feel lush. The taste was okay, but it didn't really thrill my friend and me.

Pros: Cats, atmosphere, furnishing

Cons: expensive, food was not my taste

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Romeow Cat Bistrot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.