Romeow Cat Bistrot

Contact 06-57289203

Via Francesco Negri, 15, Rome, Italy, 00154

Opened late-2014 this bistro serves vegan and raw-vegan dishes (from 8pm) inspired by local and international cuisines. Diners eat in the company of six cats who wander around the tables. Cozy atmosphere. Reservations are required for dinner, usually 5+ days in advance. Open Wed-Sun 11:00am-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Italian, Raw, Fusion

First Review by MauradelGusto

great food but slightly ruined by unfriendly staff - Edit

We booked way in advance of our trip to Rome and were really looking forward to our visit. We arrived early and the lady who greeted us was happy for us to have our aperitif outside. When we moved back inside to the table we had been told was reserved for us, at the time our table was booked for, another lady insisted that we had to move. She would not listen when told her that we had been told this was the table we had reserved. We both thought the food was excellent but the experience was marred by the attitude of that one member of staff, which is a shame.

Pros: lovely vegan food , greeted by friendly member of staff

Cons: one member of staff rude made us feel very unwelco

One of the best restaurants in Rome - Edit

Romeow is one of my favourite restaurants in Rome. The place is really stylish and there are climbing trees and paths were the cats can play or find a place to sleep. The cats are very friendly and it is great to watch them play. The food is amazing. They change menu quite often and every time I went there I found mouthwatering options. The desserts are amazing too. It is a bit more pricey than other restaurants in Rome, but considering the quality of the food, the fact that the use also ingredients that are not easy to find in Italy and that they have six cats to take care of, I really think that the prices are quite reasonable. Book well in advance because the restaurant is not very big and it is always fully booked.

Pros: delicious food, cats, cats cats, nice vibe

You get what you pay for - Edit

Went there for a quiet lunch by myself and got a quinoa dish that was mixed with some veggies and decorated quite elegantly with a few dabs of vegan mayo and a few currant berries, then had a berry cheesecake for dessert. It's a cute place, but it is very expensive. I understand that it's a high quality restaurant but I won't be going back for a while because eating there often would be way too hard on my wallet. The cats are nice and the staff is welcoming, but I got a bit of a tense/snobby vibe when I was there. Not necessarily towards me, just that if I wasn't dressed nicely and if I were less of a well-mannered and properly educated person I would not have been as welcome. It's not a place you can go to in a pair of sweats for a quick coffee, it's more high-end and classy than that. It's definitely a place well suited for those who are a little more on the "pariolini" side (fellow Romans, I know you know what I'm talking about). It's a bit cozy in there, but if you are polite and respectful (aka you follow the rules of proper etiquette, aka a couple sitting at a nearby table was asked to turn their music off because they were playing it out loud) then you will feel right at home. But you're either going to feel that tense vibe or you'll feel there is a homey air, there really is no in between. Aside from the atmosphere it was a pleasant experience. You do get what you pay for in the end.

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Didn't like the atmosphere, Expensive

Really lovely atmosphere in this cat cafeteria - Edit

I just went for a cappuccino (excellent, by the way).
The place is really lovely and cozy, the owners very friendly and easy going. Six cats play around the place, so it is a place for cat lovers.
Prices are in line with the quality and attention, so quite high.
Cappuccino was 3,5 euros, but came with some vegan heart shaped biscuits, so it was ok.
Dinner seems expensive but would definitely give it a try next time in Rome.

cats! - Edit

When i got there they already stopped serving lunch so i just got a raw vegan cake and a coffee which were both great . Kitties were the most adorable even though understandably you can play with them if they are sleeping. The only con i can think of was the stuff , which was not at al friendly towards fellow vegan cat -lover !

Great Idea - We like our meals with cats :) - Edit

We went there for our Valentines Day Dinner. We were seated at a big table with others, which was ok because they told us in advance and you didn't sit very close to the other person. What seemed a bit odd to us was that they seem to rush everything. You're seated, you order immediatly, it arrives very quickly and they come and pick up the plate a soon as you lay down your fork. Therefore it wasn't very romantic and over in under an hour though we had 3 courses. The staff is nice enough but seem to want you out there quickly. The food was good though and quiet special, too but the portions were very very small. Good red wine!

Pros: Has cats and very good wine, location near the sta, If you ask you can have an english menu, Location pretty and cosy

Cons: they rush everything and the portions are very sma

very very good place - Edit

I believe the best vegan restaurant in my city. Nice place, kind staff and very very good cuisine. All dishes are delicious!

Forse il miglior ristorante vegano a Roma. Posto carino, bella atmosfera, personale gentilissimo, servizio impeccabile e soprattutto piatti prelibati (tutto buonissimo e i dolci erano qualcosa di spettacolare). Ci torneremo volentieri quanto prima.

Not tasted the food... - Edit

I've walked half of the city to went into this place... and when I finally arrived, it was full.
My mistake I didn't made a reservation but the owners didn't made anything to provide me a solution and recommended me another place instead... a disappointment!

Pros: Cats were fine

Cons: Needs reservation, 3 days in advance, Staff was a bit... disappointing

cosy, but expensive - Edit

Quick, cosy and clean. easy to find. close to piramide metro station. Nice staff, and fun with cats walking around your feets. The food is rasty, but its very expensive. You dont get good value for your money

Pros: Quick, cosy and clean. easy to find. close to pira

Cons: very expensive and small portions.

nice location, dissapointing food - Edit

We visited the restaurant in August 2015 and liked the atmosphere and the nice staff there very much.
Unfortunately the food is far too expensive as the dishes are relatively small and don't make you feel lush. The taste was okay, but it didn't really thrill my friend and me.

Pros: Cats, atmosphere, furnishing

Cons: expensive, food was not my taste

great food, homely feel - Edit

This was such a fantastic restaurant, and going during lunch hours, it was not crowded at all. It had great atmosphere that made me feel like I was at a friends house. The cats were also adorable, and even though many of them were sleeping, a few were awake and willing to play. The food was also fantastic. I went with my mom and sister and we each got something different both for meals and desserts. I sampled all the pieces each of us was given and have to say it was one of the best meals I've ever tasted. They had a great selection of food that tastes very fresh and natural, and even though service was a little slow, we didn't mind because that gave us more time to pet the cats. Very worth while.

Pros: very affectionate cats, great food, friendly service

Cons: the sink in the bathroom doesn't work (don't know

A little disappointing - Edit

Me and my partner booked in for an evening meal. The location is a little out the way of the centre of Rome but we wanted to visit particularly because it was a vegan restaurant and of course because they had cats.

Having cats is clearly a unique selling point.

There were 6 cats and we enjoyed watching them, but they weren't particularly lap cats that would come over and sit on your lap, and our interaction with them was somewhat restricted. So my first advice is don't go to Romeow expecting to hug a cat.

As far as the food, it was a little disappointing. Maybe we just chose the wrong things off the menu ( we had the maki followed by tempeh in vine leaves. We went for the cooked food, but there are a number of raw dishes on the menu.

There was an English section to the menu and the staff were friendly and spoke English which helped.

I was thinking of ordering some tea, but then I saw that the price was €5.50 and changed my mind.

Pros: The cats, It's vegan

Cons: overpriced

Cats and raw cakes - Edit

If you love cats and raw food, this is the place to go in Rome. We were early birds and learned they start serving dinner at 7 pm, so we opted for some raw cakes and tea. The raw cakes were excellent. Also the baked apple almond cake we took as a take away was very juicy.

The place is furnished stylishly with some nice climbing trees for cats. The cats are probably quite young, they are social and eager to make contact. The time we visited Romeow 4-5 pm they were already fully booked for the night, so it's a good idea to call in advance, especially as the place is a bit off the city centre near Piramide metro stop.

The dinner menu was huge with raw and vegan options, so it would have been interesting to have a taste -maybe next time? Tip: you can make a nice day trip by checking out the pyramid of Cestius and Acatholic cemetery (Keats, Goethe...) it's a pretty short walk from there to Romeow.

Pros: Menu, Cats, Atmosphere

Cons: A bit off the city centre, Only cafeteria at day time, Might be fully booked for dinner

Delicious food and cozy atmosphere - Edit

Romeow Cat Bistrot (which I could call the catstorante for obvious reason :) was the greatest vegan place I visited in Rome.

I and my girlfriend came to Cat Bistrot after kitchen working hours (afternoon), but the owner was so kind and asked chefs to cook for us.

The food was freshly and professionally cooked, delicious and looked amazing on a plate. They serve fresh juice in stylish jar pots! Dessert was so tasty I wanted to cry of happiness and deliciousness while eating it!

Interior is bright, clean and cozy, decorated with many pillows, books:) And of course - the cats give some extra karma points! All of them were sleeping, but this was just the right thing to do on a rainy day:)

It's a very new place, they opened in the end of December 2014, but I am sure they will make many vegans so happy and so satisfying like they did me:)

P.S. It would be easier for EN speaking people if Cat Bistrot would have menu in EN in the future :)

Updated from previous review on Saturday February 07, 2015

Pros: Hospitable staff and owner, Delicious food, Cute cats

Cons: No menu in English

Return to Rome Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Romeow Cat Bistrot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.