P.S. and Co.

Contact 215-985-1706

1706 Locust St (at Rittenhouse Square), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19103

Vegan gluten free cafe in Rittenhouse Square since Mar 2014. Offers breakfast food like house-made yogurt and sprouted muesli; plus lunch soups, salads, wraps, bowls; and afternoon tea and baked goods. Drinks include organic nut milkshake, hot tea, and cold pressed juice. Also known as Pure Sweets and Co. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-7:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion, Kosher

First Review by sc_robotics

AMAZING - Edit

If you come to Philadelphia, this is the place that you have to stop for lunch. Great food, great people and a great ambiance. Cold pressed juices, specials and really good desserts. Enjoy!

plant based delicious food - Edit

Andrea and everyone at P.S. & Co are wonderful. All of the plant based items from entrees to smoothies are excellent!! I had the tofu scramble tacos and green smoothie!! We also had incredible pancakes. Everything is so fresh & delicious. A must place to visit if you are in Philadelphia.

Wholesome Veg Spot - Edit

What an adorable little place! We came for weekend brunch and got the choc chip pancakes & tofu scramble with greens and quinoa pancakes. Both delish! The food could definitely be plated up better with more toppings but I personally love when my food is bursting with colours and different components! The staff was super friendly but I feel it was abit understaffed so lucky it wasn't busy at that time. Right near the centre and was a great start to the weekend.

Instagram: @lovelightandbananas

Pros: friendly staff, delicious drinks menu, beautiful outdoor seating

Cons: small brunch menu , not generous with toppings, poor presentation of food

Great, wholesome food - Edit

This review is a bit overdue for PS and Co. I first came here with my husband last November while visiting Philly. We were up somewhat early on a Sunday morning and this was one of the few (possibly only) vegan places open.

There is an extremely welcoming vibe the moment you walk through the door. The staff (and owner) are all so sweet and informative about everything on the menu. Now one may look at the prices and be scared away, but don't! The food here is amazing and well worth every penny. I think it's incredible that everything is organic, vegan, and gluten free. They also make their own (gluten free) flours and nut milks. Additionally, they host events, like cooking classes. You can tell that this restaurant really cares about the wellness of its community.

While visiting Philly this past weekend (in February), we were sure to return to PS and Co. for breakfast. Everything is exactly how we remember it. The food was delicious, service kind, and atmosphere peaceful.

Pros: Service, Atmosphere , Organic food

not open?? - Edit

Was in Philly yesterday for the day and wanted to try this place for breakfast. App said they were open at 9am... Showed up 10 after 9 and it was closed. Sign on the front said 9am. Knocked... Waited a bit and left. It's 20 degrees out... We will not be attempting this place again... Very disappointed in going out of our way to try this place and they were closed.

Prices all over the place, but I enjoyed the food - Edit

I worked at a restaurant that boasted healthful foods. We tried to get organic whenever we could, but would choose conventional ingredients if the price point was too high. We had some complaints from customers, but I think P.S. and Co. is a working example to why we didn't go 100% organic. Their prices are ALL OVER THE PLACE! One dish seemed pretty reasonable, like the avocado nori roll that I got, it was $6.45 at the time. It seemed reasonable and about the same price as a sushi roll from whole foods. But then I got the salty dog cookie sandwich which was $8!!! Yes it was huge, but I don't think I would of gotten it if I originally saw the price. But the good news is that the cookie tasted awesome and was super filling. I think in the future I would of liked to split it with someone, for a more reasonable $4 each.

I've read reviews that staffers were stuffy and rude (not on here) and I found only nice people. The staff seemed well educated, I even heard the cashier tell a customer why some of the prices were starting to rise drastically in price (hello organic!)

Overall I can picture myself coming again, because it is nicer than most coffee shops in Philadelphia and it is RELAXING! I wouldn't rely on this place to fill me up for lunch/dinner but great for something in-between. I would love to give this place 5 stars but the price is a big deterring factor. But you are getting quality food, so you are getting what you pay for.

Pros: Awesome garden in back, Lots of seating/great decor, I liked the food I got

Cons: Prices can be super expensive

expensive and bland - Edit

picked up a french bread pizza (6.75), chick pea curry (12), and mac n cheese (7) - $27 total. my first choice, the pesto caprese sandwich, was not available. the pizza was smaller than my hand, I couldn't tell if it actually had cheese on it, and the "French bread" was tough. the chick pea curry didn't have all the ingredients that were listed on the menu and did not taste like curry. the mac n cheese was incredibly bland and tasted like an herb pasta salad with too mayo. I'm hungrier now, after eating the pizza and half the mac n cheese, than I was before eating.

they also seem to have something against people with celiacs, which is really weird for a GF restaurant. their website's FAQ includes this gem: "I have Celiac Disease and can’t have a molecule of gluten near my food." I understand dealing with severe allergies can be difficult for restaurants but this statement is so ridiculously rude that I wish I'd seen it before I ordered.

Pros: vegan. literally the only positive thing i can say

Nice ambience and great food - Edit

I had the kale pad thai ("salad", sauteed on request) which was phenomenal and - for me - the perfect balance of healthy, nutritious and tasty.
I got the burmese chickpea curry for take out, which was also very good.
Not cheap, but worth the money I think.
Also it's a really cute space and service was very friendly.
Sweets are delicious as well!

Pros: excellent food, nice vibe, friendly staff

Tasty but Expensive - Edit

My fiance and I stopped by here while we were on vacation in Philly, he got the Mohinga soup- it was very savory and flavorful but not spicy, the rice noodles went perfectly with the broth, I got vegan mac&cheese, it tasted more like pasta in a really tasty cream sauce than mac and cheese, but I was still really happy. I'd love to come back here, but I'm a bit glad they aren't that close to home or I'd be tempted to blow more money on them. The food is great, I just wish they offered larger portions for their prices.

Pros: delicious, kind staff

Cons: expensive

Vegan and Gluten Free for EVERYTHING. - Edit

This place is a flashback into a time where you can sit down and enjoy the company, the beverage(s) and the food without feeling rushed or worried. The decor is a nostalgic country feel to, I think, promote the old-fashioned (at least these days) connection to your food, and hopefully, the people you are with... so often lacking these days. If you're vegan and gluten-free, you probably have a greater appreciation for things like food, so maybe that's the sense they are trying to promote: calm awareness without feelings of stress or negativity.

It's awesome to go in here and know that if you are vegan or gluten-free, you can have anything here.... health and calorie concerns aside.

You enter and see the beautiful case displaying some food to order and some desserts. Lovely. Don't be silly - save room for dessert or take it to go. The dessert cups are incredibly rich and delicious, but are worth the investment in calories.

The salads are beautiful organic greens with accents as you choose. You can't go wrong here - use more or less dressing as you prefer. So good and fresh! Not 100% raw, but, probably the closest entree to raw if you're concerned. If raw- go for some juice or a smoothie. I'm a coffee-a-colic, so I was delighted to find cold brew with Brazil nut milk for extra richness.

They have gluten-free bread, but, for the sandwiches, recognize there will be a high bread to filling ratio. Still tasty though!

They have some combo deals, so that's cool.

Plenty of items in the cooler that are pre-made side dishes like rice and salads, mac and cheese, quesadillas, etc. Also, other pre-made items like granola/ cereal are ready to go, too.

Great choice for vegan and gluten-free consumers, I just wish they were open for more hours into the evening.

Pros: 100% vegan, 100% gluten-free, Dessert cups, cold brew, organic

Cons: Price, Hours

pricey but so satisfying - Edit

Discovered this place by accident after a show at the Kimmel Center and it was a great find! Everything was super healthy and expertly prepared. The ambience was very relaxing and the service helpful and friendly.

I got the summer roll, which was light and well balanced with a spicy dipping sauce. My husband got the warmed up pad Thai, which was flavorful and chock-full of kale. The smoothies we ordered – the green one and the chai – were a bit bland but not unpleasant. The chai one tasted just like that cinnamon cashew milk you can get at whole foods. The stand out for me were the pudding cups. I got the black-and-white one, which was divine, my husband got the Elvis which was also good, but the peanut butter on top was super thick and too filling after an entree.

Overall, this was a very pleasing casual meal. Super healthy, tasty and clean.

Truly Fantastic ! - Edit

I just discovered this thanks to Happy Cow and ate there last night. I was blown away - it is 100% vegan, organic, gluten free and delicious. Oh yeah, they use fair trade ingredients, compostable plastics and are a B-Corp. This is amazing! The space is warm and comfortable too, and employees friendly.
I tried a hot entree and a cold collard wrap and both were delicious. Also got the Elvis tart and was able to sample a macaroon and banana bread after my girlfriend went today. All were excellent.
If you come hungry, you may need a couple items to fill up. And it can be a little pricey, but they have to spend more for their ingredients. It is obvious that they really value Earth and its inhabitants by their choices. Thanks for this!

Pros: pure and ethical, delicious, great value

absolutely amazing! - Edit

One of my top 3 favorite vegan places ever. Bonus that everything is gluten free. Being a vegan and gluten free is never easy but PS and Co makes it oh so delicious! Thank you for existing!

Awesome concept - Edit

I have eaten here on numerous occasions, for brunch, lunch, and dinner. I am continually amazed at the creativity and thoughtfulness that goes into this place. Every single detail is accounted for, from the rustic reclaimed furnishings to the dazzling display of freshly made salads, treats, and juices. I can't believe how delicious vegan food can be! It is all about using quality ingredients (everything is 100% organic!) and combining all these flavors together. I think even meat eaters would enjoy this place because you get so caught up in the colors, textures, and tastes. I am so glad this restaurant is a part of Philadelphia!

Pros: 100% organic, Everything is fresh, Beautiful decor

Cons: A little pricey, but worth every penny!, Not open for dinner every night, No liquor license

Delicious but pricey - Edit

I've only been twice so far and have gotten the Caesar salad both times. It was so good the first time that I didn't want to branch out to try something else in fear that it may not be as good. Although it looks kind of small, it ends up being very filling and the shiitake bacon is awesome- the best part in my opinion! The first time I went I also got two cookies and the second time I got a drink and both meals came to about $20. So it is expensive and not somewhere I could go every day but it's nice for a special treat. The food is high quality and seems very fresh and healthy.

I also love the decor. It is so adorable from the outside with the little cafe tables and inside with the exposed brick. The staff have also been very friendly.

I would give it 5 cows but considering the cost, I had to go with 4.

Pros: Healthy , Decor/Atmosphere

Cons: Expensive

it's rittenhouse, baby - Edit

this is a place to get $10 juices and teeny-tiny $2 macaroons. the staff is entirely made up of glowing sea nymphs.

i had something that they called a 'quiche' which was made up of something orange on top of something green on top of quinoa. it tasted like nothing in particular.

my friend had some sort of banana bread, which was pretty good. they should serve more things like that.

Pros: attractive rich people, feelings of superiority

Cons: decorations include martha stewart books, floor looks like crap for no reason, extraneous mason jar light fixtures

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has P.S. and Co. closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5821 times since May 2014.