Nearly Normals

Contact 541-753-0791

109 NW 15th St, Corvallis, Oregon, USA, 97330

Long-time established vegetarian restaurant. Offers a large and varied menu including children's meals, breakfast items, lots of Mexican style platters, and reported has a separate vegan menu. Open Mon-Thu 8:00am-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Mexican

First Review by Calingamango

Love this place - Edit

I have eaten here for years, first as a resident of the area and now while traveling. I'm in the area about once a month and make it a priority to eat here at least once or twice during my visits. The food is great with wonderful vegan options. I like the Wild Iris Platter. It's just simple food. I also like the Green Rebel Burrito. If I want to try something different that looks like it could be made vegan, I just ask. The staff always seems eager to please. I do keep in mind though, that some things cannot be made vegan because dairy is already an inherent part of the food.
The restaurant atmosphere is charming with a lot of character and a bit of funk. The outdoor courtyard delights me on warm days. It is so pleasant and provides a respit from the business of the street outside and life in general.
If you are looking for fine dining with concoctions of non-food, don't come here. If you are looking for good basic food prepared to please the palate and nourish the body, give this place a try.

Pros: Outdoor courtyard, Good basic food, Friendly staff

Cons: Parking can be a problem at times, Usually a bit of a counter line, it moves fast. , The special goes quickly, so may be out

A Favorite - Edit

Nearly Normals has been around for YEARS in Corvallis. Interesting classic vegetarian cuisine. Several vegan items available or some items can be made vegan. I love the Nearly Nasty Bean burritos, the Mini Nasty is more than enough. I also like the Wild Iris platter. My daughter likes the burgers.
It is popular so often times there is quite a line up at the counter before one can place an order.

Pros: Good food, Nice outdoor seating

cheese - Edit

Ordered a tempeh Reuben off of the VEGAN menu, after eating it I asked what type of cheese was used, since I haven't found a vegan alternative for Swiss cheese that is acceptable. Was real Swiss cheese. No apology, just a blank stare.

a Corvallis vegetarian institution - Edit

I really have no complaints. Normal's is a reliable vegetarian restaurant in Corvallis and I'm glad it's there. There are plenty of options for those who eat dairy but also a well rounded selection for vegans. They have a special menu card with the vegan and "can be made vegan" options on it at the counter. If you don't see it there, just ask for it! I believe they also have a card for gluten free.
Our favorites at Normals are the Guido's northwest plate (vegan if you ask them to leave off the Parmesian), the BBQ Tempeh sandwich (contains honey-I think in the bun but otherwise there's no dairy, etc), the nearly nasty burritos (see vegan menu), and the specials are often tantalizing. Their green salads are nicely done and the house salad dressing is very good.
Normals is casual - pay at the counter and they bring your food to your table when it's ready. The servings are generous, prices are average, the decor is earthy and comfortable and the shaded outside seating area is a nice option in the summer. Frequent customers can get a stamped coupon toward a discount - I think it's 1 stamp for each $5 spent and it's worth $5 off once you collect 12 stamps.

Pros: vegan options, all vegetarian restaurant, frequent customer coupon

Cons: few vegan dessert options

Nearly Normals - Edit

Normals is a Corvallis tradition and can always be counted on for fresh tasty food. My husband always has the Nearly Nasty Burrito which is a giant meal in itself. I often try the specials or the Indian sampler plate. Fun decor, an outdoor seating area for nice weather, and a wide range of veg food.

We really like that the wine selections are reasonable prices.

Pros: Wide selection, Interesting decor, outdoor seating

Cons: stand in line to order, very busy at lunch

they won't even substitute to make it vegan - Edit

nearly everything on their menu has sour cream and cheese on it, and if you want them to leave that off to substitute something vegan, you'll have to pay. always. it doesn't matter how many ingredients you ask them to leave off, if you want something added back onto your dish, they're going to charge you for it. it would be easy for a vegetarian to eat here, but difficult for a vegan, mainly because once you leave off all that cream and cheese, the food is extremely bland and boring. they make a decent sunburger patty, but i'd rather buy the patty at the co-op and make my own burger at home. the wait staff is grumpy and cooks are allowed to wear tank tops while they hover above the plates of food. this is my last resort when eating out in corvallis

Pros: green rebel, outdoor seating

Cons: substitution policy, cheese & sour cream, customer service

nothing special - Edit

This place has a large menu. They have a separate vegan menu, but it doesn't have the descriptions in it, so you have to cross-reference the larger menu, which takes time. It takes time standing at the counter, bc you don't sit until after you order.

I did not like my food very much. I ate enough to hold me over, but I was not rejoicing in the Nearly Normal 30 yr glow. They must survive by being so close to campus and by being the only game in town for so long. I think the food was cooked ahead of time and merely reheated. My food was overwhelmed by Cilantro, my nemesis, which was not stated on the menu. Had I known, I would have ordered something else.

They have a lot of desserts, but not many of them were vegan.

They made their own ketchup, which was good, but you have to go back and ask for it at the counter.

Dunno, maybe I would try it again? If I did, I would be more diligent in asking questions, but the staff was not too interested in helping, honestly.

Pros: longevity

Cons: cilantro overkill, staff

Unimpressed - Edit

I was really excited that there was a vegetarian restaurant in Corvallis, but the food here was pretty unimpressive. It's not that it was bad, just kind of bland and unoriginal. I felt like I could get most things on their menu at home or anywhere else. It would also be nice if they had some different vegan options for breakfast.

Pros: Reasonable price, Cute outdoor seating

Cons: Unoriginal food

Nearly Normals - Edit

I used to live and work in Corvallis, Oregon and this was definitely one of my all-time favorite places to eat. They had so many unique and tasty dishes, all vegetarian as far as I know. Even the breakfast meals were unique. But I also loved the artistic way they decorated the place and the atmosphere (two levels to choose from). Though I don't know if I could handle serving food as an occupation, I'd almost be tempted to consider asking the owners to let me start a Nearly Normals franchise in another place. I think if more people could taste vegetarian food like theirs, we might have more vegetarians in this country!

Pros: fantastic food, healthy cuisine, outstanding artistic decor

Cons: it's not in my city!

Return to Corvallis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nearly Normals closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3169 times since Aug 2007.