Middle Way Cafe

Contact 907-272-6433

1200 W Northern Lights Blvd Ste G (at Arctic), Anchorage, Alaska, USA, 99503

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffee, tea, daily breakfast and lunch, and in-house bakery. Menu includes several vegetarian and a few vegan choices. Has Wi-Fi access, artwork display. Operating since the 1990s.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by nooy

Great find in Anchorage - Edit

We went at 8am in a Saturday and all the locals were waiting outside the door. The place is large but within 30 minutes was mostly full. You order at the cashier. Food came out fast to the table. The huevos rancheros (tofu) and pancakes were excellent, with large portions. We took a couple bean burgers and muffins to go for lunch on the plane, which were also great.

Pros: Great, clearly marked vegan meals and baked goods

Cons: Meat also served

Loved the Middle Way - well versed in Vegan options! - Edit

The staff is friendly and knowledgeable about veganizing other items besides their several vegan options. Traveling is SO MUCH easier with the Happy Cow!

Pros: Delicious food, Great coffee!, Their vegan Huevos Rancheros is inventive and trul

Cons: Short wait to secure a table , You order at the register before you have a seat..

Vegan Avacado Melt! - Edit

This is amazing! It comes with Daiya cheese and Vegenaise. The sandwich is huge and delicious. A true vegan item that you don't even have to modify! Thank you so much, Middle Way for this delicious item! They also have multiple vegan breakfast and lunch items that you don't need to modify. More than oatmeal.

Pros: Multiple vegan items

Cons: Use plastic packaging for togo items

Sooooooo good! - Edit

I have gotten takeout several times this summer, and eaten in the cafe a few times. Each dish, meal, and bakery treat has been delicious, ample, and vegan. Vegan items are clearly marked, and each time I inquired about making a non-vegan item vegan, the switch was easy. Middle Way is my go-to place in Anchorage.

Pros: Excellent food & choices, Relatively inexpensive, Healthy options

Cons: Can be loud & crowded

Best Place to Eat in Anchorage!!!! - Edit

Sooooo good!!! I think there were about 7 vegan options on the menu including a great veggie sandwich, huevos rancheros, multigrain pancakes, etc. Also the best vegan cupcakes I have ever had! A couple vegan smoothies and some very delicious fresh juice also. I was in heaven! We were in Anchorage for 2 days and I ate there every meal and ordered 3 things to go when we left:) Very nice place to eat...I highly recommend! They close a little early (6 I think) so get in there before that:)

Pros: great vegan options, nice atmosphere, fresh juice!

Cons: close a tad early (6 I believe)

So Many Choices! - Edit

Interesting vegan and vegetarian options on a menu that regularly features specials and is changed to match the season. The staff is friendly, enthusiastic, and energetic. Likely to see students studying, professionals in a lunch meeting, vacationers dropping in, and young families eating right next to each other in this trendy, but tasteful spot. Middle Way has a great location in a busy, "progressively-oriented" shopping plaza including REI, Title Wave Books, Kaladi Bros. Coffee, and the Alaska Club gym.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 20, 2012
Updated from previous review on Friday July 20, 2012

Pros: many options, delicious coffee/espresso, great service

Cons: can get crowded

Cool Place- Great Food - Edit

I had the multi-grain pancakes (vegan) which comes with a cup of fresh fruit- quite delicious! Friendly staff, cool vibe. This place also hosts live music acts.

Pros: Good Vegan Options, Free parking lot

Great Way to Start the Day - Edit

This was Ron's and mine first trip to the Middle Way Cafe in Anchorage and enjoyed the friendly and helpful staff. Ron dove into his order of Multigrain Pancakes & Fresh Fruit with Maple Syrup and didn't come up for air until it was all gone and said "these were good; I didn't think I would be able to eat it all". I thought he was going embarrass me and lick the plate!
I ordered the vegan Huevos Rancheros, it was OK but next time I think I will try something else. The Menu is interesting and the vegan selections are clearly marked. The staff helped in guiding me to the gluten-free dishes.
When traveling to Anchorage the Middle Way Cafe will be on our "must stop at" restaurants.

Pros: Good Menue, Friendly Staff, Fair Pricing

Cons: Vegan Huevos Rancheros

I love this place! - Edit

I stayed in Anchorage for four months and made a habit of having breakfast here at least once a week. The breakfast food here is amazing. It's also a few door down from a great used book store. The staff is friendly, there are always different art exhibits on the walls, and it's seems to be a popular spot for people off all walks of life. There is an obvious bohemian appeal but next to a table full of dread locks and tattoos you'll see white collar business people or laptops and college students as well as people of all ages. This place appeals to everyone and I don't know one who has left this cafe dissatisfied.

My favorite restaurant in Anchorage - Edit

Now open seven days a week. Great vegetarian and vegan selection of soups. Planet azul salad is huge. Also have gluten-free bakery selections each day. Busy during the middle of the day and is THE place if you are a Mac person!! Love the falafals - baked not fried and the Lebanese vegie wrap. Kaladi coffee too. What not to like!

Pros: healthy food, great portion size, run into people you know

Cons: can get busy and hard to find a seat

good food! - Edit

This place serves really good lunch food. My favorite is the avocado melt sandwich. Fresh, original, and always good quality. They have really good smoothies, too. They are a coffee place, too, though I don't drink coffee so I can't help there.

The major downfall is that they are only open in the middle of the day, during the week. Which means, I never got to eat here as much as I would have liked to.

Pros: excellent food, healthy and fresh, locally owned

Cons: limited hours, expensive

Return to Anchorage Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Middle Way Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1904 times since May 2008.