Bear Tooth Theatrepub

907-276-4200

1230 W 27th Ave, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, 99503

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mostly pizza and dairy/meat but also has salads and a Mexican selection, as well a few Asian inspired dishes. Pizza can be ordered without cheese. Offer beer on tap from its own brewing company. Operates an attached movie theater, and you could order to be delivered to your theater table. Open Mon-Thu 10:30am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:30am-11:00pm, Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Pearlpeachy

Local vegans love this place - Edit

Bear Tooth is a favorite for us because they are flexible, and the staff know us and our dietary needs pretty well. If you're visiting Anchorage for a few weeks, you might have the chance to sample more than one rotation of their revolving taps (beers-of-the-month).

My favorite here is the Spicy Bear, minus dairy, with either the beans and rice or the salsa salad. A close runner up is the Blackened Tofu Tacos with rice and beans as a side. Their guacamole is pretty good, and they will happily make their 7-layer dip vegan for you on request.

Any of their pizzas can be made cheeseless, and are typically pretty good. Generally speaking, their salad specials are very good, and the entree size is enough to split between two people as a first-course before tacos or a burrito or wrap. My favorite salad is their Mandarin salad with blackened tofu instead of chicken (and yes, they'll typically sub just about any meat item in any dish with either sauteed or blackened tofu - they are extremely flexible in this regard). If you ask whether a dish is vegan or can be made vegan (and are polite), generally, your server will be more than happy to check with the kitchen regarding contents and possible substitutions; there's a thriving vegan community here, so they're pretty well-versed in what is or isn't vegan.

Any and all beers that they have on draft are generally pretty good - I haven't been disappointed, yet. I don't consider myself to be an IPA or hops fanatic, and I find their IPA and other "hoppy" brews to be quite palatable and well-balanced.

My only wish is that they would consistently offer a vegan option for desserts...in my six years living in Anchorage, I can only remember a handful of times that they've had a vegan dessert. When they do attempt it, they do an AMAZING job (vegan molten lava chocolate cake for the week of Valentine's Day in 2012, I believe, stands out in my mind...those were SO GOOD).

All-in-all, if you are vegan or vegetarian, and come to Anchorage, but don't come to the Bear Tooth, I think that you're missing out....but that's just my opinion.

;-)

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Great beer

Cons: Don't often have vegan desserts

Contributions +23

Vegan at Bear Tooth Theater side - Edit

Be ware- the peanut sauce has milk in it here. You can get any vegetarian pizza without cheese on wheat. They're happy to do this. Lots of veggie burritos that are still delicious without dairy.
The BEST is the basil vinegarette salad. Just order it without parmasean and you'll be dreaming about it for weeks! You can add tofu, too!

Delicious food & drink - Edit

I have eaten at the Bear Tooth several times in the past year, and each experience has been great. I love the drinks, and the food has been tasty and ample. A couple items on the menu are indicated to be able to be vegan. The peanut sauce dish is made vegan by serving over rice instead of egg noodles. I requested it to be served over greens instead, and it was delicious and filling. We also have ordered specials that are vegan, such as the local beet and fennel salad.

Pros: Delicious food, Great drinks, Fun pub atmosphere

Cons: Usually very crowded with a wait , Not many vegan choices, Inconsistent service

A fun place to go for a night out! - Edit

Bear Tooth is a really fun because it is part restaurant part movie theater. You can sit in the dining area or you can come for a movie and have pizza and beer delivered to your table in the theater while you watch the movie! It is a great place for vegans to go out with non-vegan friends. There are a few vegan options: a few mexican dishes, an Asian/Thai style dish and also the option of cheeseless pizza or salads. I have ordered the Mexican entrees and really enjoyed them, as well as a number of cheeseless veggie pizzas with wheat crust. They have lots of beers on tap from their own brewing company as well. The theater also serves as a concert venue on occasion. The menu here is the same as at the Moose's Tooth, but I usually find this place to be a little less crowded.

Return to Anchorage Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bear Tooth Theatrepub closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.