First Review by Parasol

Good lunch menu - Edit

Good lunch menu . Everything Is macrobiotic and healthy. Amazing soups . Quite place good for a break .

Vegetarian Macrobiotic, mostly Vegan - Edit

Always open, offers macrobiotic vegetarian cuisine, mostly vegan (only exception are some diary deserts).
Tends to promote the fix price daily menu, tasty and healty. Also available à la carte selection, more expensive.
The atmosphere and the cold behaviour of the waiters do not make you feel very comfortable.

Pros: Always open, Healty, Tasty

Cons: Uncomfortable atmosphere

Dissapointing - Edit

Me and my family came to this resturant and we were dissapointed. The resturant was very hard to find, but that maybe because we are tourists and Spanish is not our first lanuguage.

The service was fast, but menus were only in spanish and we could not make out what most of the food was on the menu.
thefood came cold and we expected that the food had been made earlier that day and had been heated up to serve to us.

We had the vegan option, we were dissapointed that there was only one. the beans, rice and vegetable thing was bland and not very tasty. the dessert was dry and I could easily make out that this was because of the absense of sugar. The tea came Lukewarm.

I dont think this resturant was horrible at all, but they would certainy benefit from many improvements, I will not be returning.

Pros: free water

Cons: bland food , no different languages on the menu , resturant is hard to find

Great food - Edit

So glad I found this restaurant with my Happy Cow app. They offer a menu of the day with four different course options, from vegetarian to macrobiotic. The soup was great and so was the main course, but the dessert was exceptional. All for 15 euros.

Kind staff and peaceful place - Edit

It's inexpensive and the best of the menu are the desserts. The staff is very kind and it's a very peaceful place, which is good if you've been sightseeing all day.

Good Spot - Edit

I personally enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. My partner found it a little bit "worthy' I.e. eating Vegan or Veggie or Macro should never have the feeling of being a sacrifice - if being a Vegan was difficult, I certainly wouldn't be one! On the whole delighted to have found this little gem - and in one of Madrid's coolest Barrios - las Letras

I enjoyed it - Edit

easy to find, and next to a small health food shop for stocking up on take-out supplies.
La Biotika offers a 'menu of the day'- something many Spanish restaurants offer (and an issue that seems to have confused many of the others).
You pick an option from sections 1-5 of the menu and pay the price quoted (13Euros, I think...which is pretty good value for 5 courses). A drink is included. Bread and water is free. What's to complain about?!
It's not gourmet standard, but surely you know that when you order a meal at that price. However, it is warm, filling and tasty and the staff are happy to meet your dietary needs

Just don't - Edit

I arrive, and it wasn't cozy or anything like that, but, i gave it a shoot, with the Vegan menu. the young woman taking orders seemed a little stressed - and that didn't make anything go faster, but what the hell. I got a salat and a soup at first - the salad was sooo! borring -however - the soup was ok i guess (or maybe it was just because the rest of the meal sucked) - the rest of the meal arrived, and looked like something i would do at home, if i wanted a quick dinner - i didn't even bothered to stay for a cup of tea.

oh and by the way, the water that was served tasted like the crappy tapwater spain got - sorry to say - didn't even wanted to drink it.

Original but Irregular - Edit

I like this place, probably because of the different courses that are included in the menu (a little soup, a little salad, a main plate, desert, tea... that's my kind of meal!). Also, there is always something on my plate which is not in my own cooking repertoire.

But, the people I go with are never very enthusiastic and I can see why. The quality is irregular, sometimes it tastes great, sometimes it is bland and dry. The same goes for the service. Sometimes they are lovely, but it is clear that the staff is not used to dealing with stress. And after the redecoration they did a few years ago it is not as cozy anymore either.

But still, I like it there - all for giving it another chance until they get it all right. I hope they will...

Pros: Each menu has many tastes, Central location

Cons: When busy it becomes hectic, Irregular quality

Shockingly poor food! - Edit

As a big fan of macrobiotic food I was very excited about finding this little restaurant. It was however extremely disappointing. The place had no charm. The waitress was extremely unfriendly and curt and appeared to lack patience as we struggled to understand the Spanish menu. There is a choice of two set menus. The soup was the only thing that was really quite nice. The salad that came with it was some rather limp iceberg lettuce, very dry grated carrot and half a cherry tomato with what appeared to be vegan mayonnaise. I would have considered it an extremely poor salad even if from a non heath orientated cafe. The rice was the only thing that was reasonable about the main meal. The beans were not even luke warm. I am far from being a fussy eater, and am generally happy with anything reasonably healthy that is put in front of me. However I found myself having to just try and get the food down me for functional reasons as it was so unpleasant. Dreadful food and dreadful atmosphere. i couldn't wait to leave. I'd avoid at all costs. In contrast the heath food shop next door is well stocked with pleasant staff and quite a treat, with plenty of vegan and gluten free choices. I have given 2 cows only because the system does not allow you to give less!

Pros: the soup was nice

Cons: Cold food, old dry salad, Atmopshere, Unfriendly staff

Nice spot - Edit

Prepared with Love
Not a lot of choice but delicious macrobiotic food.
Thanks for the lovely evening

Pros: nicely prepared plate, fast serving , highly frequented Restaurant

Cons: not so many choices

Good experience - Edit

Good, welcoming and moderate.
I was served by a man who explained me how the menu worked. Very gentle. All was good except the cake made from "beans" which was a bit dry. Pity ! It could have been perfect.

But good experience: may be the "rude" waitress is not working anymmore in the restaurant.

The price is moderate (10

Average experience - Edit

Came here looking forward to a tasty dinner judging by previous reviews. My very long review in short: service was bad and food was bland; would not recommend especially compared to other places in Madrid.

Sat down and was brought some bread in a basket - asked the waitress if it was vegan, and she replied 'no tengo ni idea' - she had no idea. She went and asked the man in the kitchen and came back saying it was.

She then brought me the menu and came back no more than 20 seconds later (no exaggeration!) to ask me quite brusquely what I wanted. I vaguely asked for the vegan plate because I hadn't had enough time to see that the menu includes 5 separate courses - soup, salad, main, dessert, and hot drink. She corrected me quickly and I hurriedly made my choice (the only vegan choice there was). I felt extremely rushed with her standing over me which was bizarre because I got there two hours before closing and they weren't busy at all.

The food is all pre-prepared and the soup and salad came very quickly. The soup - creamed cauliflower - was quite nice, the salad had various elements in it but the mayo was bland and there was a lot of it. I was about halfway through the plates when I looked up to see the waitress and the chef looking at me and obviously talking about how I was getting along with my food so they could bring out my next dish. I had just finished my salad and still had about half the soup to go when the main plate was brought to me. It consisted of brown rice and artichoke topped with roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, a chickpea casserole-type thing, and some cooked vegetables. It reminded me very much of a basic Hare Krishna-type meal. The rice was nice and the seeds added a great crunch, the chickpeas were savoury but just okay, and the vegetables were nothing to write home about. I felt like I could have cooked the entire thing myself just as well at home.

As I was sitting eating my meal a woman walked in and walked around the restaurant offering jewellery for sale. This was obviously an arrangement she had with the restaurant. Not sure if I was just grumpy by then but I didn't appreciate someone trying to sell me jewellery in the middle of my meal.

I turned down dessert as the meal was very filling, and I'm glad I did because the poached pears I saw going to another table looked about as squishy as they could possibly get.

When she realised I wanted to pay with my card not cash the waitress had to have the card machine fetched from the store next door which took a couple of minutes.

All in all I was not overly impressed, but the meal was filling even without the dessert and drink, it was certainly healthy and vegan, and at 13.50 not badly priced either. There are just better options in Madrid in my opinion.

Pros: Healthy, Reasonably priced

Cons: Service

Nice, tasty and cheap - Edit

They offer a menu with a soup or gazpacho, a salad, a main dish (3 possible option: one vegetarian, one macrobiotic vegan and one which is a combination of the vegetarian and vegan), a dessert and a coffee/tea.
Everything was delicious. We paid just 10,50 each and ended up very full.
The waitress was not the nicest person in the world, but ok enough. There was a man, who seemed to be the owner of the restaurant, who was very kind.
Totally recommendable vegan option in the center of Madrid.

Pros: Macrobiotic and vegan, Price, Taste

Wonderful - Edit

This is my favourite restaurant in Madrid. You get to eat healthily and never leave hungry. I am allergic to sugar and here I can find delicious vegan carrot and algarroba cakes with no sugar. Simply delicious.

Updated from previous review on Saturday August 10, 2013

Pros: Fresh, healthy ingredients, Friendly staff and environment, Price

Would Not Recommend - Edit

After spending all day on a bus from Barcelona, I went to this restaurant since it was open late and it was close to my hostel. I was very disappointed and wouldn't recommend it. The staff seemed completely uninterested in serving me and took a very long time to bring my dessert (even though it was pre-made and they weren't busy with other customers). Also, a fruit fly crawled out of my salad.

Pros: open late

Cons: uninterested waitstaff, could be cleaner, language barrier

Warm, peaceful, wholesome - Edit

La Biotika serves salubrious food in a relaxing atmosphere. Some items have very simple flavors, while others have a little more.

Menu of the day provides good value and vegan options.

Baked apple dessert was nice. Fresh juices are a plus.

The shop next-door sells fresh produce and many vegan items.

Pros: healthy, wholesome food, vegan-friendly, good shop

A new experience: Macrobiotic - Edit

This is a small macrobiotic restaurant with a strange vegetarian menu with vegan options. They bring you small quantities of several different foods combined in a healthy way. Afordable price. It has a store with a lot of products in next door premises.

Pros: Halty, Different food

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Biotika closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.