First Review by VeJo

New Kensington branch - seemed to have more goodies - Edit

Updated August 20th 2016 visited the new Kensington branch today (still sad it closed in North Melb but it isn't too far away!) we got a doughnut and Danish and thyme and mushroom filo pastry to take away. They seemed to have more food available than they did in North Melbourne but it could be the display cabinets. There seemed to be more inside seats, but not a huge number.
tasty as always and reasonably priced.

I tried a vegan lamington from here and it was delicious. It was tasty and fresh and the staff are friendly. My partner had the last chocolate donut and loved it.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-20

Pros: tasty, choice

Just wonderful - Edit

When I walked in here I did a double take and had to ask if everything was vegan (even though it explicitly states on here that it is), there was just so much choice and it looked like a regular bakery! I then took an excessively long time choosing what I wanted, but far from getting annoyed the wonderful man behind the counter was super helpful and very patient. I ended up choosing a pastry and a doughnut to have with my coffee in store. Tje food was delicious. Exactly like you want bakery food to be. The location is perfect for a quiet breakfast spent gazing out the window just enjoying life. I was also surprised with a special treat to take on the plane with me (as is mentioned that I was returning home to Perth that day), which just absolutely made my day. I'd definitely recommend a visit to crumbs if you're in town

Pros: delicious bakery food, fantastic staff, looks like a regular bakery

Incredible - Edit

I went here with a group of friends for an amazing breakfast. We cut up everything and shared it so we were able to try a lot of different things, along with yummy bonsoy coffee. I think my personal fave was the traditional jam donut. Have not had one of these for 20+ years! I was also very impressed by the chocolate brownie, as I usually find them too oily and heavy and overly sweet. This one was perfect. Rich, and deeply chocolaty, just the right density and degree of moistness and not too sweet. The raspberry and chocolate iced donuts were lovely and the lemon blueberry cake was light and fluffy. I was looking forward to trying the croissants and danishes mentioned in the reviews below, but they didn't have them this day. But hey, leaves me with something to look forward to on my next trip to Melbourne.

Pros: 100% vegan, so you can have everything!, Everything is delicious, Perfect brownies

Amazing! - Edit

This place is simply amazing! It may not be the healthiest but, personally, seeing as I never eat most of the things there as it's hard to find when you're a vegan, I'd be willing to try everything! The raspberry iced doughnut was a bit of a letdown but every other thing I tried was great. Thhe atmosphere was quite nice but had limited seating which was quite uncomfortable. I definitely recommend going if not sugar free, gluten free, wholefoods etc.

Pros: Amazing pastries, Cheap

Cons: Small

Worth visiting for the vegan pastries! - Edit

I visited yesterday with my friend and his 3-year-old daughter. We were impressed at the range of doughnuts, muffins and pastries (and also spotted some brownies in their own case). I tried a cinnamon doughnut, which was ok, but the sugar was quite grainy. I followed it up with a raspberry-almond pastry which was good enough that I'll be returning very soon for another one! I also took a lemon-curd doughnut home for my other half, and he is keen for a return visit soon too!

The staff were friendly and helpful. My only gripe would be that almost nothing is labelled, so you have to ask the staff about the cakes and drinks on offer and to find out prices (which are reasonable). There is a space for eating in, though most of the steady stream of visitors got take away.

Easy to get to (number 57 tram stop 12 is very close), so worth a visit whenever you can get there!

Pros: Pastries are amazing, Friendly staff, Good choice of treats

Cons: No prices or labels on cakes

Delicious! - Edit

Had a beautiful breakfast here of raspberry iced donut and blueberry muffin...the breakfast of champions!! Coffee was great too. The only problem, I remembered how much I love donuts and I live in South Australia :-(.

Pros: Donuts, Great coffee, Savory food

fantastic - Edit

What a great little find on our trip to Melbourne. Enjoyed a brekky of muffins and green tea. Lovely. Got some takeaways to enjoy later and they were even better .

Pros: vegan

vegan sourdough croissant! - Edit

Sometimes I find myself trying to invent excuses to go to North Melbourne just to go to Crumbs. I don't just happen by there nearly often enough.

Firstly, their bread is some of the best organic sourdough in Melbourne and a dollar or two cheaper than all the other bakeries. Their pizza dough is thick, dense, chewy, and really sour which I love. Toppings are tasty but nothing special.

It's their sweet pastries that are really worth going out of your way for. I lost my sh*t when I saw a vegan lemon curd donut sitting in the window. However, with their sourdough already being so sour, the tart lemon filling is a bit much even for me. The sweetness of cinnamon or jam in their other donuts balances the sourdough perfectly. The treat I cross town for though is their almond croissant. I think they only bake them on weekends and they sometimes run out because they are actually perfect!

A few people have said the staff aren't that friendly but I have never found them rude. They make consistently good coffee and offer you free stuff at the end of the day so it doesn't bother me that they don't have great chat.

Beautiful baked goods - Edit

Crumbs sells gorgeous baked goods (especially try the doughnuts, which have a unique and tasty sourdough flavour) and a lovely selection of breads. There is only room for a few people to sit at a bench, so not a great sit-down place. The service can be a bit hit and miss - some staff are sweet and friendly, whereas others are decidedly surly (though not a big deal as I usually just buy something and leave rather than staying). As an added bonus, I have often been given free stuff (eg. muffins and scrolls) when visiting late in the afternoon.

Overall, the delicious food at Crumbs makes it well worth a visit.

Wholesome bread, naughty treats - Edit

Crumbs can be found in Ascot Vale and North Melbourne. I love it! Donuts are beautiful, with real jam and fillings. Also there are plenty of other sweet options, including muffins and cake. I had a lemon and blueberry cake the other day with coffee and it really did hit the spot. Not too sweet, but sweet enough.

The breads are beautiful too, with loads of choices and heavy breads.

It's a regular of mine, consistently good food. The service is usually friendly, but sometimes not...

Pros: Donuts , Pleny of sweet options, Great bread

Cons: Customer Service could be improved

OMG! Vegan donuts! - Edit

Visiting from Sydney, I'm now almost ready to concede the vegan to trophy to Melbourne. This place is an oasis. Vegan danishes, vegan almond croissants. Did I mention the vegan donuts? So good, so happy! Good old-fashioned bakery. There's bread too. It looks real good, but we only came for dessert.

Pros: Good Range, Beautifully Presented, Friendly Staff

Return to Kensington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Crumbs Organic Bakehouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3756 times since Dec 2012.