First Review by Veghead74

Absolutely Terrible Service - Edit

I tend to love vegetarian restaurants - especially Vietnamese vegetarian restaurants. This is definitely not the case. I came into the restaurant asking to look at the menu. The waitress handed me the menu in an angry manner. And then when I asked what time the restaurant closed, she told me 8pm in a very curt tone. The time was 7:45pm, which was not enough time to order and eat before the restaurant closed, so I wanted to take a picture of the menu for future reference just in case I wanted to return another day. Before I could even take a picture, the waitress grabbed the menu from my hands and yelled NO PHOTO!

Needless to say I did not eat here and I never will. I have never been treated so badly by restaurant staff in my entire life.

Pros: English menu, Full Vegetarian Menu, Waterfront views

Cons: Terrible service, Relatively expensive, Angry staff

worst food of my live - Edit

as the title says...worst food of my life. fried rice to dry and definitely not fried. fried aubergines so full with vinegar I could even eat them even though I usually love vinegar. the other food just tasted weird. basically it all tasted like nothing or really weird. I didnt eat for the whole day and was about to starve and still couldnt eat it..
way to expensive for the quality they offer.
bad service. we called for the waiter walking by like 3 times in vietnamese and english and didn't get any reaction.

Cons: expensive, disgusting

Nice restaurant but bland food - Edit

The restaurant looked really nice and clean but the food wasn't very nice. We ordered the 'meat' pie with salad but it literally was like pieces of rubber tofu (actually squeeked in my mouth ) on a bed of lettuce. Was bland and too spicy. We ordered the fries as well but they were hard and undercooked. One of the worst meals in SE Asia. And we saw rats running in and out if the kitchen (not that I minded but other people might )

Pros: Nice setting, Cheap

Cons: Food

expensive. I left before trying anything.. - Edit

I saw this place as I walked along the river.When I asked 'vegetarian?' everyone looked at me as if I'd just stepped out of a spaceship!

When I sat down, I waited for a few minutes before someone brought me a menu.

The prices were quite high considering the alternatives available in Hue. Ten minutes later someone came by to ask if I wanted anything. The items I wanted were either on a breakfast menu or not available.

So I asked for a moment to check the menu again, I was left for another ten minutes or so. I quietly got up and left, noticing the kitchen staff and servers/managers ALL engrossed in their phones and tablets.

I am always glad to find a vegetarian place when I travel, but here I was relieved to have got away...

Cons: expensive

Good little place - Edit

Just had dinner at this place. Had tofu and pumpkin and rice for D40,000. D25,000 for dish and rice D15,000. Cute place with loads of seating. Big enough (English) menu. Not huge meals but the rice you get is massive and it's cheap enough. Good service.

Pros: Huge rice, Friendly/helpful staff, Nice location

Cons: Smaller size main

simple food in a charming setting - Edit

We were delighted to find Bo De open at lunchtime on the first day of the Lunar New Year. When most other restaurants were shut, the garden terrace was bustling! Lots of families had hot pots on their tables.

My partner ordered the "mixed" soup which he enjoyed. A clear broth with strips of tofu, a few greens, baby corn, fake ham kinda thing. It reminded us both a bit of an old Chinese restaurant favourite: chicken and sweet corn soup. I ordered the pumpkin, tofu, and mushrooms but it was unavailable so the waitress pointed out something else she said was similar. It turned out to be tofu and what looked like white radish in a peppery, salty broth, served cold. After receiving my bowl of entirely white food, I decided to add a side of green beans to my order. They were crisp, fresh, and simple. Overall the food was satisfying if unimpressive and we were just really thankful to find a veg*n restaurant open on the public holiday.

Pros: garden setting , cheap

Me like! Me like! - Edit

ordered the "pho", ended up with a noodle dish even though the waitress and i both were saying noodle soup. was a little bummed. dug in, and was really good for such a simple dish. ordered two bitter melon(karela) dishes to go and both were awesome. im going back. 20-30,000 seemed to be the going rate for many of the menu items. the menu is a little out of the ordinary, in a good way. not many places have multiple karela options. youll see.

Pros: great food, large-nice setting, friendly-helpful, its a rat party, keep your feet up :)

Good location, average food - Edit

The restaurant is well located by the bank of Perfume River and Le Loi street. I you walk from the railway station to the touristy area, the restaurant will be on the way there.

The food was okay. I had fried jackfruit and tofu. Jackfruit seems to be shredded raw jackfruit in vietnamese dishes. I didn´t taste much anything.

We also had fried tofu in tomato sauce - very good
and somekind of mock chicken - okay

The service was good when we were there in March 2014.

Pros: Good location by the river, Okay food

Ok - Edit

The food was good, but nothing special. All in all i'd say it's ok to go there if you are really hungry and you don't want to look around any longer. At least it is a vegetarian restaurant. The staff is friendly.

Nice Location - Edit

This little restaurant has a beautiful outdoor seating at the riverside! The menu has a lot of options, but we didn't quite understand all of them. The restaurant is all vegetarian, but some of the dishes was called "meat" pie and stuff like that, and it would have been nice with a better explanation. I went for the fried pumpkin with tofu and mushrooms and aditionally i ordered steamed rice, in total 40000 vnd, and it was really tasty. My non vegetarian friend ordered the fried chinese noodles for 25000 vnd, which was good, but the dish was a little small for a main. The service was good.

Pros: Full Menu, Tasty Food, Cheap

Cons: Difficult To Understand Menu, Some Dishes Are Small

Unfriendly, not tasty, rude... - Edit

We went there since it was on our way to the citadel.
The service is awful, the restaurant was empty, I called the waitress 3 times, she saw me, she never came. We waited there 20 mn, then she came and gave us the menu. We ordered the cantonese rice, nothing but some vegetables and sticky rice and 2 pieces of tofu and the 8 ingredients salad food no taste at all!

The worst thing is that we asked for a glass of tra da (ice tea) which is generally free or maximum 2000 VND, she said "NO ICE TEA, ONLY COCONU WATER" 30000 VND. I asked another waitress she said it's not included, it's 5000 VND.
The local people all had a glass of ice tea on their table and didn't pay for that... I was so upset.

Never go there, it's the kind of place where you will be treated like if you are their enemy and where you will hate the vietnamese food whereas there are a lot of vietnamese restaurant in hué cheaper and better.

Cons: Rude, Not tasty

Just ok - there are better options in Hue - Edit

This was my least favorite veg restaurant we visited in Vietnam. This isn't to say the food was terrible, but I'd suggest trying a different restaurant instead, since there are so many options.

The setting is very nice, especially at night, when the lights are shining in the courtyard. Some of the tables are nicer than others - we ended up sharing a big round table with a Vietnamese couple who finished eating right as we were starting, and lit up a cigarette.

We tried their fresh spring rolls (good), 8-ingredient salad (not recommended), fish with a tomato sauce (I can't remember the exact name of the dish, but it was extremely oily), two different types of the steamed cakes (good and cheap).

The waitress seemed distracted and wasn't particularly friendly.

It was just ok. I'm not upset that we went there, but I wouldn't go again.

Pros: Cheap, Nice courtyard

Cons: Smokers, Noisy, Food is just ok

the pros and cons - Edit

We ate here twice during our stay in Hue and though the food was pretty good, the service was not quite quite there.
The first time we ate there, neither of our dishes were what we asked for. Mine did not even resemble what i requested. When we tried to point it out, the l;ady serving us did not understand, so we just ate what we got. though this was nice enough.
The restaurant itself is very nice, with lots of outdoor seating just besides the river.
There are a number of vegan options on the menu which is always good, though some of the english descriptions leave a lot top the imagination. For example, you may want to try the 'powder squid posters' or the 'shrimp pearl powder flask'. I did intend to try, but just nbever got around to it. They also have a 'meat pie' which i believe is made from tofu.
A breakfast will set you back (if you can describe at such 15/ 20,000 dong and a main ranges from 20 to 40,000.
Over all, this is a nice, clean restaurant and good value.

Pros: spacious, clean, good value

Cons: menu difficult to understand, slow service

Quick food, Patio Seating - Edit

Easy to find, just a short walk from the bridge along the river, and is mentioned in the 2009 Lonely Planet guide.
We were seated opposite the kitchen and so could see everything being prepared, apart from staff tasting the food, it seemed fairly clean depends on your standards I think. Our waitress was a little hard to get the attention of, but another lady was helpful.
The portion sizes are quoted as for 'one person', and you will need to order more than one dish each and rice.
The menu is a little hard to follow, but we had a tasty Tofu dish, delicious simple Pumpkin, a cold Pho salad and rice for 2.
The prices weren't bad either, about 100,000-150,000 D for 2 people.
I think people have mixed experiences. I will probably go back there, and try some more dishes, maybe the hot pot or spring rolls.
If you are in the area its worth trying.

Good, cheap food in a beautiful place - Edit

We went to this restaurant twice. We tried both some of the lunch set menus and breakfast set menus. I think that breakfast was the best vegetarian breakfast I've had in a restaurant. And I definitely recommend also taking a set lunch menu so that you can taste various different dishes.

Pros: Tasty food, Local dishes, Nice place

Cons: Service not best possible, Cold place if weather is cold

Lovely setting on the bank of the Fragrant River - Edit

We chose Bo De from the Happy Cow site. The food was excellent, the spring rolls were very good.
The staff did thier job efficiently but without putting too much effort in.
Price was very cheap - three of us had plently of food and drink for under $10.00. Serving sizes were large.
Minor detraction was the large scabby rat that popped in and out of the kitchen a few times until we fed him a chip then he left, he seemed quite nice however.

Pros: food, cheap, location

Cons: rat

great menu but not much was available - Edit

I went here in Feb 2011. The location was nice, the menu looked awesome, but unfortunately only 3 options were available (maybe because it was pouring rain that night and I was the only one there??). Anyway, I chose the veg hot pot and it was fantastic. I would give this place a 5 cow rating but I'm removing 1 for lack of availability.

Pros: delicious

Cons: limited choice

Great option - Edit

Good location, just besides the Phu Xuan bridge on Le Loi st. (Across the bridge is the Citadel Place). You need to criss-cross this area several times. This makes it a practical choice for meals. Also its close to the backpackers area auound the Nguyen Tri Phuong st. It took me about 5 min by walk from my hotel to this restaurant.

The meal is not cheap but definately not costly. The other veg restaurants in this town has a similar price. The location besides the road and the Perfume river makes it a beautiful place not just to eat but to relax. The outdoor garden seats are comfortable and clean. At about the Chinese/ Vietnamese lunch and dinner hour the restaurant is full of people. At other times there are less number of guests. But yes, I dont think the reataurant has control over any mosquitoes if you sit outdoor. (Vietnam is known for mosquitoes and its better to always carry your mosquito repellant cream) No wifi here, but I found a free wifi with weak signal from neighbourhood.

Menu does not have too many choice, but its adequate. Meals were made decently. They will pack meals for you if you want to take it out. One bamboo fry dish was really nice. Next nice thing was the soup noodles.

And a word of caution, pl bring in your dong to pay your bills. The exchange rate followed here is quite low (1 USD = 15000 dong). Hence paying in USD means loosing more money.

The girls working her may not seem as "friendly" as in a bar, but why worry, they are doing their duty effiently and my purpose there is a good veg meal in a comfortable and clean place which gets solved well.

Thus this place was my first choice for clean and decent veg meals at Hue.

Nothing to moo about - Edit

We went for a lovely sunset walk along the river before settling down to dinner at Bo De. After snatching the menu from us for another customer before we had finished, the waitresses gave us our meals with a fatigued politeness and then sat around giggling and sending text messages. We tried the citronella tofu which was small and pretty bland and steamed beans which really needed some butter or something to inject a bit of flavour. The mixed vegetable fried rice at least help fill us up but seemed like it had been heated up from the day before.

The setting definitely is nice, but not sure I would recommend this highly. Maybe we should have tried the hotpot... I think the mosquitoes attacking my ankles got a more tasty bite than we did. Or maybe our senses were overcome by insect repellant.

Pros: Nice setting

Cons: Limited choice, Not the best service, Small portions

Great Food - Edit

This place was really yummy. We got the hot pot and it was just perfect. Also really, really good was the citronella tofu. It is also pretty, right by the water next to the 1st bridge of the 2 bridges as you're coming from the train station. It was a little pricey for Vietnam but more than worth it.

Pros: Yummy, Easy to find

Lousy service - Edit

My wife and i ate here on a sunday afternoon, and there was barely anyone else in the place. However, that did not stop us from receiving lousy service. The staff were completely disinterested in us, and when they served us they were rude - it was as if our presence were a nuisance to them.

On the plus side, the bamboo shoots and the fried tofu were very tasty. Be warned though, "fig" is not a fruit, but some kind of unpleasant mock-meat. Perahps fig = fake pig?

Pros: tasty food

Cons: lousy service

Very tasty food - Edit

This place has some very authentic Vietnamese cuisine made with mock meat. Most of the dishes are around 15,000 dong which makes it solid value for money. I looked it up on Happy Cow and went with the recommendations. Can;t say that I was dissappointed.

Pros: Variety, Tasty, Value for Money

Cons: Food could be served hotter, Not much options in drinks and desserts, Not sure about the Kitchen hygiene

A special place - Edit

I really enjoyed our experience at Bo De. Most dishes are around 15,000dong so it's really reasonable. If you're hungry though I recommend getting 2 dishes - the variety is nice anyway! I êspecially enjoyed the jackfruit sesame rice paper dish - unlike anything I've had before in a veggie restaurant. Although Bo De is on a main road they've created a nice restful and spacious environment out the back.

Pros: Delicious totally vego food, Friendly and efficient staff, Nice setting

Best food I had in Vietnam! - Edit

I loved their coleslaw! They had a tasty mock meat appetizer that has an herbal lime taste and then you put on on a crispy cracker and drizzle soy sauce onto it. Their soups were simple and soothing. Their fried rice was also simple and tasty with small bits of veggies and mock meat cubed up. Their mock meat dishes were truly the best I had during my trips to Hanoi, Hue, and Ho Chi Minh City. The restaurant was clean and spacious. This is a place you must try if you are in Hue.

Pros: Excellent Food, Large Portions

Return to Hue Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Bo De closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2558 times since Jul 2008.