Barnacles

Contact 01492-875336

7 Mostyn Street, Llandudno, Wales, LL30 2NL

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chip shop cafe. Menu has separate section listing all vegetarian and vegan options as of Feb 2011. Staff are knowledgeable about vegetarians, vegans, gluten free options. The chips and veg options are all fried separately. For vegans they offer Linda McCartney sausages, falafels, kebab, humus with salad, chips, pita, jacket potatoes, toast with beans, vegan apple crumble & ice cream, chocolate and vanilla sundae. Roast lunches, full breakfasts. They use soya milk and dairy free spreads. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jon active

Delicious vegan street food - Edit

It was so nice to find a fish and chips shop with vegan options. Sure, there is no vegan fish option, but that is not particularly surprising. Instead, I got a sausage bap and breaded sausage with a side of chips. They use Linda McCartney sausage, which is delicious. The bread for the bap was nice and soft, and the breading on the sausage was crisp. The chips were delicious and they put a nice salt and vinegar seasoning on top. They also had a vegan gravy that was amazing. I got all of this for less than 10 pounds. I would definitely recommend you take a stop by here and get some food.

Pros: Excellent street food, Good portion sizes, Affordable

Cons: Small

loads of choice - Edit

Found this place using the happy cow app. Was very surprised by the vegan choices. I had chips and sausages which are kinda McCartney ones. Would recommend sitting outside it's absolutely roasting inside

Decidedly average - Edit

I hate to give a place a bad review, especially one that has a separate specific section for vegans.
The food that I has wasn't fantastic, I ordered chips, sausage and gravy hoping that I would finally be able to have a choppy experience that I have carved so much since going vegan. The food was massively lack lustre, the chips weren't chippy style chips, the sausage was just a plain Linda McCartney ones (which I love but prefer too cook them myself at home). The only really enjoyable thing was the gravy, despite it not being chippy style gravy it was very nice.

My parents (fish but not meat eaters) said that their food was lacklustre but not bad. The best thing about the menu is that that the vegan section is integrated into the main menu, it in turn encouraged my sister (meat eater) to try something from it. She has the falafel sandwich and lentil sound and said it was beautiful.

I don't know how different the chippy menu is to the sit down meal but I hope it is better. My sister really enjoyed her meal but the actively vegan food that I tried wasn't fantastic. The staff were nice, but were a little rushed so didn't have much time to speak. I think I would go here again if I was in Llandudno and wanted to have chippy but wouldn't necessarily have what I had last time.

Pros: Vegan section, Vegan ice cream , Dairy free spread and milk

Cons: Bit rushed

great falafels - Edit

Separate vegan menu is a treat! They claim they use a separate bit of the kitchen with different fryers and tools and staff for the vegan food production! Amazing falafel and hummus tray!

Pros: Some of the best falafels ever eaten, Segregated cooking space for vegan food, Understanding staff

Cons: Sells non-vegan food, Outdoor seating is cramped

Vegan-friendly Chip shop - Edit

Staff were lovely and the food was well prepared. I ordered
chicken style nuggets and chips. I wish it had come with peas but I did really likes the garlic mayo.
I found the restaurant was cramped with tables very close together and the number of notices on the wall and windows a bit off putting.
I also thought it was expensive, my lunch with two soft drinks set me back over a tenner.
If i go back it will be to get take out.
However the place was packed on a weekday so they must be doing something right.

Pros: Vegan Menu, Take away or eat in, Great Staff

Cons: Poor atmosphere, Crowded Tables, Expensive

Sausage bap - Edit

Have separate vegan menu!

Really loved the sausage bap and fries with vegan garlic mayo.

They fry all vegan/vegetarian items in separate parts of the kitchen and are really nice about it as well (doesn't always happen).

Would def recommend Barnacles to anyone looking for good vegan "fast food" :)

Would rate it as excellent, but that's not possible.

Pros: Vegan mayo, Separate part of the kitchen

Nice chips! - Edit

So refreshing to see a vegan section in a chippy!

Good range of vegetarian/vegan options, soya milk and they cook all vegan options in separate fryers and don't mix utensils.

Unfortunately my sausage was cooked to within an inch of its life so wasn't very tasty but the chips were good. My partner had the falafel option which was nice.

waitress was very friendly

Pros: good value, number of vegan options, no cross contamination with fish/meat

Cons: sausage over cooked

Battered sausage! - Edit

Only recently visited this place, which is a crime considering I only live up the road! Vegan items are clearly marked on menu, you just have to make sure you inform the server which menu you are ordering from. I had chips, battered sausage (yum!), peas and gravy, my husband had the falafel kebab. We both enjoyed our food and were pleased with the decent portion size. Obviously it's not the healthiest but I'm a sucker for anything greasy and unhealthy so this place is perfect for me!

Pros: Decent portion size, Price, Plenty of choice

Barnacles, LLandudno - Edit

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. Its very much a typical sort of fish and chip shop but there is a separate all vegan menu with vegan takes on things you would usually find in a chippy. Its a long long time since I've even in a chippy and this was quite a pleasant and novel opportunity to do so again. Battered sausage, chips and gravy? Top stuff.

There doesn't seem to be vegan friendly places fall out of trees in this town so this is a welcome oasis. I'd defo rate it higher if it was all vego but that is unlikely to happen.

The staff were nice and they weren't overly pricey.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Nice staff

Cons: Not 100% vego

Very good vegan options! - Edit

Barnacles is split into 2 sections, one part is a sit down cafe and the other half is a take away chip shop. The have a separate Menus for vegan and gluten free dishes. The vegan dishes include things such as sausage and chips, falafel kebabs, veg soup, roast dinner with veg sausage or falafel and beans on toast. They provide dairy free spread and soya milk. They even have vegan desserts, I had apple crumble with vegan ice cream, but you could also get a chocolate and vanilla Sunday. They also have a large menu for meat eaters so it is a great place to go with non-veggies. The staff were very friendly and the prices were reasonable (around ยฃ6 for a meal if eating in, ยฃ3 for desserts) I would definitely recommend!

Pros: Excelent food, Good value, Friendly staff

vegan falafel roast dinner - Edit

Takeaway section and eat-in section. Separate sections on menu for gluten-free and for vegan and vegetarian. Veggie burger รขโ€šยค2.80, veg sausage รขโ€šยค2. Homemade soups like vegetable and leek-potato รขโ€šยค1.40.
I had the (vegan) falafel roast with vegan gravy, just รขโ€šยค4.20 as takeaway, though the sign said รขโ€šยค6.50 (which must be the eat-in price). The meal was steaming hot even when I got home ten minutes later. Four small falafel balls, served with roast potato, mashed potato, peas, carrots, cauliflower, all smothered in gravy. Very tasty and filling. A treat to have vegan gravy.

Pros: vegan gravy, lower cost for takeaway

A vegan friendly chippy!!! - Edit

In a part of the country that has more Fish and Chip shops than it does Charity Shops it was a lovely surprise to find this place. The left hand front door takes you into a large upmarket greasy spoon type cafe. Immediately you notice signs on the walls inviting one to ask for the gluten free and vegan menus, how cool is that! The vegan options are not extensive but they were enough for us to return twice and try out the range. My partner was so pleased to find that the veggie sausage in batter (not advertised in the menu) was vegan that she only had that each time we went, it was a childhood memory rekindled but now cruelty free! (if you don't count what the fat was doing to her arteries!) But Hey this is a chip shop, we didn't go for "health food", but we were well chuffed to have good vegan options and even an apple pie and custard for pudding! The only downside was the vegan milk, they are using Soya Soliel which is terrible and so my custard wasn't smoot and my tea seperated. Maybe take your own Plamil with you!

Pros: Friendly staff, Fair Value, An oasis!

Cons: Crap soya milk

Return to Llandudno Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Barnacles closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3091 times since Sep 2010.