Andy Nguyen's

916-736-1157

2007 Broadway St, Sacramento, California, USA, 95818

Sacramento vegetarian restaurant south of Hwy 50 btwn 16th and 26th St exits. Offering Vietnamese food since 1984. Extensive menu includes large bowls of soup, mockmeat dishes, vegetables, beverages. Dishes have Buddhist names such as wish fulfiling jewel soup, peaceful existence curry claypot, and true nature of mind steamed tofu. Vegan dishes are marked. Location is near a temple and busy in the evening. Open Mon 12:00pm-9:00pm, Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Asian, Vietnamese, Buddhist

First Review by OriginalGT

A Favorite! - Edit

I love the food here! I have been eating here for years, and never had a bad meal. They have a great variety of foods. Love the thai ice tea as well! Service is good, I believe it is family run. Very nice people. Always a favorite!

Meh - Edit

I only went here once and I have no desire to go back. Their menu seemed to be all about fake meats and I am not a fan of fake meats. You can also get tofu, but you would likely have to ask to sub it out. The flavors were alright, but I personally would rather just go to my local Thai food restaurant.

Pros: vegan

Cons: Fake meat, Nothing special

great food - Edit

I have been to Andy Nguyen's several times. The food is great.

slow service, so so food - Edit

Ate here about a week ago. The restaurant was mostly full but had only one waiter. He did his job well, but was spread way too thin waiting on so many tables. My partner had the burger--ugh. It was not a burger, just a bunch of slices of something sweet. The French fries were really good. He also got a noodle bowl. Again, it wasn't spicy, it was sweet. We asked for some vinegar, and were given some sweet liquid; don't know what it was, but it sure wasn't vinegar. My spicy lemongrass dish was pretty weak too. All in all, a moderate disappointment.

Pros: large menu

Cons: food too sweet, slow service

Blown away - Edit

I have only been to this place once (that will change!) and I had the best pho I have ever tasted. It was really amazing. They have lots of vegan options. Definitely my new favorite place in this area!

Good food, service & ambiance - Edit

Good vegetarian/vegan food & service. Ambiance was nice as well. The food is mostly Asian/Vietnamese. Service was good. Parking was not a problem.

Pros: totally vegan

Cons: too much fake meat

One of my favorites - Edit

I really love Andy Nguyen's. I appreciate the flavors and variety. I feel like I consistently get a healthy, reasonably priced meal. I also enjoy their teas and fresh juices.

Pros: Lots of flavor , Healthy eating

Cons: Website is non-functional, Service can be slow

Delicious, centrally located, friendly vegan food - Edit

Andy Nguyen's has been a solid go-to vegan and vegetarian spot in Sacramento for decades.

In the Buddhist Asian vein of food, but a step above the greasy vegan Chinese food options you often see. It's easy to spend a lot of money here if you're not careful, with $7 appetizers, but the lunch specials are a great buy.

Parking is actually easy enough on the side streets, but it's in a great location to bike, bus, or light rail to (there is a light rail stop a block away.)

The staff is typically extremely friendly. The food isn't fast, but I've never felt like I'm waiting too long.

Their website, which used to be bad, has been revamped and is now atrocious: completely nonfunctioning. We had hoped to do a big takeout order the other day, and finally found a version of the menu on some other menu website. Then they didn't answer the phone. Their Yelp page has a decent summary of their menu, just without prices.

So don't try the website: just go on it.

Pros: delicious, reasonably priced, friendly

Cons: atrocious , nonfunctioning website

Excellent! - Edit

My favorite Vegan Friendly restaurant in Sacramento.
The food is fantastic.

I wish they would bring back the Karmic Connection Crepe!!!

Pros: Food, Presentation, Atmosphere

Cons: no bike rack

Food is not good and not very authentic - Edit

With all the hype about this being one of Sac's best veg spots, I had to check it out. The service is slow, but that didn't bother me so much. It's a small independently-run place, one server for the whole restaurant, so yeah, it will be slow, but that's to be expected sometime when you support small local businesses. I just don't see why everyone loves the food so much. The presentation was lovely, but the flavors and the resemblance to the dish it's supposed to be were huge failures. My friend had the Supreme Noodle soup, which is basically supposed to be like Bun bo Hue, but was actually far from it, with the broth lacking the lemongrass and spicy flavors it should have. I had the "pad thai" which tasted nothing like pad thai as it was lacking in sauce and flavor and the noodles were so dry. We also tried the fresh rolls, which were fine, but the peanut sauce was terrible. I actually loved the atmosphere here, but I wish the food were actually good enough to make it worth the visit.

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Beautiful presentation

Cons: Food is not good

Very Pleasantly Surprised!!! - Edit

This place is outstanding. Feels like more than just food going on.

The menu names are just as cool as the food. You can tell a lot of love goes into it, really.

Some of the best food I have ever tasted, I'm surprised it's in Sacramento.

Pros: taste, presence , quality

Delicious! - Edit

Great taste and food presentation!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly and attentive staff

Contributions +14

Awesome experience for the palate - Edit

Great food! Especially the spring rolls (Karma rolls) and Lemon Salad. Everything was extremely fresh and invigorating and the staff was very attentive. Would definitely go here again!

Pros: excellent food, healthy, friendly staff

One of the Valley's best - Edit

I LOVE ANDY'S!!!! the atmosphere is Heavenly and the staff is always polite but sometimes slow...I really love the fact that they switched a few years ago and have maintained being forerunners in the Valley. Favourite dishes include Awakening of Mind and 10'000 Buddahs burger, which can be made Vegan!
Their desserts are mouth watering and they also make fresh juices and teas.

Pros: Consistency, Atomsphere, Filling

Cons: sometimes slow

Review Update - Poor service - Edit

I used to really like Andy Nguyen's and the food remains fresh and delicious, but the service I received on my last visit was so bad I don't think I'll ever return. We went last week to use our Groupon and it was busy, which we expected. We had four people and were told we'd have to wait 30 min. We were third in line for a table. Over the next hour, people left and tables sat empty, but we still had no table. After the hour mark, with 3 empty tables, I asked about getting seated, which finally happened (glad I asked...). Then we were asked to move tables to accomodate a larger party. No sorry or please or thank you about anything. No apology for waiting....We were even told "your drinks are gonna take a while, ok?"

The kitchen staff here is amazing. The food is delicious and when the kitchen staff brought our food out they were very courteous and helpful. But the waitstaff/front of house is HORRIBLE and I highly recommend they consider restaffing or retraining for better customer service.

Also, I don't remember the exact pricing last time we were here, but it seems to be quite expensive now, especially considering the location.

Sorry, I won't be back.

Original Review from a couple year ago - I have read most of the reviews about Andy Nguyen's and was worried to try it due to many reports of inconsistency in quality and service. I have only been once so far, so I don't personally know about the consistency, but on the day I went, the food was outstanding. The best Vietnamese food I've had in quite a while. The dishes were full of flavors that were all different and the dishes offered a great balance of flavors and textures. I loved their use of fresh herbs as well. The serving sizes compared to price were pretty good as well. I don't know if there are different priced menus (lunch vs dinner), but we went around 3 pm and many entrees were around $8 for a nice-sized portion, which is pretty good for Sacramento. I also went with someone who eats gluten free and it was pretty easy to find items that both of us could share. The only lacking part of the experience was the slightly inattentive waitstaff (waiting to order, waiting for check, etc), but the wait was not excessive. I can't wait to go back, I just hope I don't experience some of the problems previously reviewers have had.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 05, 2009

Pros: fresh delicious food

Cons: HORRIBLE customer service, expensive, not all vegan

Some good dishes, but more than a few drawbacks - Edit

I love Andy Nguyen's, have been a regular customer for years. Their food is delicious and creative, and prices reasonable. However, sometimes their dishes lack consistency, oftentimes they run out of ingredients and sometimes you have to wait a VERY long time for your food. The enlighten mind rolls are amazing.

Updated from previous review on Friday July 18, 2008

Today at Andy's my husband and I noticed several changes on the menu. The menu now indicates whether dishes are vegan, can be made vegan, contain dairy, and other dietary information. To our disappointment, many of the dishes that we love here are not vegan and can only be made vegan by taking out some of the main ingredients, namely the soy chicken and soy ham which contain whey. In the past we were told these items were vegan, so naturally, we decided to speak with the owner. We were told they switched distributors and that some of their previously vegan ingredients are no longer vegan. We hope the explanation is accurate because we are very serious about our vegan lifestyle and would be very upset if we've been unknowingly eating whey all this time. Regardless, we are very disappointed at Andy Nguyen's for their lack of commitment to providing quality vegan food. Andy Nguyen's is still great for vegetarians, if you don't mind the poor service, but vegans beware! I would put a lower rating but Happy Cow won't let me. *1 cow*

Pros: some great dishes

Cons: bad service, inconsistant, progressively less vegan-friendly

I went to this restaurant, waited, and waited, nothing happened, finally left before ever placing an order. And listening to the grumbling of the people next to us who still had not received their food.

Thank you everyone for the reviews. Great food or not, it sounds like I will avoid this restaurant in the future due to the service issues. It does not sound like my experience was just a one time thing. Eating out is too expensive to put up with these things.

Vegetarian

Contributions +49

Great Food - TERRIBLE Service - Edit

Positive - Andy Nguyens has fabulous food that you just can't get anywhere else! If you haven't tried it, you absolutely have to!

Negative - The service is the worst I have ever encountered. Except to wait 30 min. just to be seated, another hour before they even take your order, and fully expect them to forget someone's plate, or get the order wrong, and not fill your water a single time. Everybody I know who has eaten there has had the same problems, and it is the same everytime I go, no matter who is working.

Having said that, I keep going back because the food is great!
There is another Andy Nguyen's on Folsom Blvd. in Rancho Cordova. They don't have the same vegetarian selection, but they do have some very good vegetarian dishes, and the service is a 100% turn-around. I definitely recommend the Rancho location.

Pros: Unique Food, Good Food

Cons: TERRIBLE service!

Return to Sacramento Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Andy Nguyen's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.