Queen Sheba

• Friend
Contact 916-446-1223

1704 Broadway (at downtown), Sacramento, California, USA, 95825

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian restaurant offering all-you-can-eat vegan lunch buffet on weekdays, which usually features salad, spinach, rice, green beans, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, yellow lentils, red lentils, bengal lentils, and injera bread. A la carte menu at other times. Mon-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Wed 11:30am-10:00pm, Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 12:00pm-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by Emil

10 years of quality - Edit

my family has been going here for years. it's probably the best Ethiopian restaurant in the bay area (yes, in considering Oakland, Berkeley, etc.). consistent and welcoming, the owner always greets us, gives us hugs ans, best of all, vegan friendly food. fava bean dish isn't always on the menu so ask. it's worth it.

Good choice, fast lunch - Edit

We stopped in for lunch last week. We have only been there for dinner in the past and had a vegetarian combination plate. Their lunch is a completely vegan buffet with at least 8 dishes plus injera. It was very fast to server ourselves, have the waitress bring drinks and get out on a lunch hour. The food is tasty, a few dishes stand out, traditional, nutritious and filling. I would have preferred the injera was warm. But they chose a nice variety of flavors for the dishes.

Pros: Tasty, good price, fast for lunch

Cons: cold injera

“A 5-Star V-Food Rating For Sure!” - Edit

On my first "Foodie Voyage" into Ethiopian Cuisine, I serendipitously met the owner of The Queen Sheba Restaurant (Zion) sitting in her car in front of the restaurant. Zion was very enlightening. She said the reason Ethiopian menus include many Vegan foods is because the “Whole Nation” participates in extended "Vegan [Food] Fasts" for 4 to 5 weeks at a time, especially around Easter. No wonder every Vegan bite I tasted was so flavorful. Really, EVERYTHING was delicious!
I tried everything on the reasonably priced lunch buffet (Mon-Fri). The lentil dish, as well as the deceptively plain-looking green beans with carrots, and the stewed cabbage were some of my favorite vegetables. But, anyone who can season collard greens like they do, definitely deserves the highest recommendation I can give for Vegan cooking!
You don't want to miss the traditional Coffee Ceremony (with the server in full garb) called Bahilaw Buna on Sundays. And while you're eating, make sure you wrap your Misir Kik (sweet yellow split pea stew) in their House-Made Injera (flatbread) that is reminiscent of a very thin spongy sourdough jellyroll cake (minus the jellyroll filling). Save room for some sweet Dabo bread often eaten with a cup of Ethiopian Coffee and don't forget to try the Tej (House-Made Honey Wine) or a festive cup of their spiced tea. You can find “Parking on 17th Street" just off the corner of Broadway. And, there are enough Vegan offerings to wish you "A Very Vegan” eating experience!

Pros: Heavenly Vegan Foods , Delightful Ethiopian Atmosphere , Traditional Ceremonies & Cultural Accent

Cons: None (Not even parking issues)

Vegan lunch buffet - Edit

After seeing the fantastic reviews on here, I was going out to lunch by myself in Sacramento and thought I'd give this a try!

The buffet was all you can eat, and was amazing! Every dish had its own unique flavour and was cooked perfectly, and fresh.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the place felt really comfortable and was very clean and decorated nicely with some nice music in the background.

Felt like a very happy place and was a lovely and inexpensive experience!

Queen Sheba is the Queen of Sacramento Vegan Food - Edit

This is my first review on happy cow, I never realized the maximum rating for non-veg restaurants is 4 of 5. Before writing this review, I thought the other reviewers were just being stingy! Hah!

If I could rate Queen Sheba five stars, I would. Five million stars even. Because when I come in to Queen Sheba, I don't -feel- like I'm in a non-veg restaurant. That sounds weird...why?
Because I don't have to do ordering acrobatics! I can just order right off the menu like any regular ol' omnivore!

The veggie sampler just IS vegan and I ask to add an order of the mild Tofu Tibbs to the platter as well. I get a LOT of food for my money: the sampler platter feeds my extra-large-appetite husband and myself when we add the Tofu Tibbs (and sometimes a side of rice if we're both extra hungry). The sampler provides a beautiful variety of delicious, healthy food that always hits the spot. I come in and feel like I'm eating at my friend's or my friend's mom's house, I love it. The vegan lunch buffet is also a great value.

My husband and I can eat just right here and have some leftover to take home, or forego leftovers and stuff ourselves full 'til we're waddling out for less than $20.

When I first moved here I got hooked on Queen Sheba, my mom moved here and she was here so often she barely used the kitchen at her new place for anything more than morning coffee :] Whenever I have friends in town that wanna go out for dinner, I bring them here. Even if they've never had Ethiopian food before or if they're skeptical about eating with injera, I'm sure there will be something here they will enjoy, and that's been the case 99% of the time! (my grandpa was hard to please, haha)

I always say Queen Sheba is THE BEST vegan restaurant in Sacramento!

Pros: wonderful food made with love, awesome value, great staff

Cons: nothing unless, you don't like, nice things :P

Excellent Food! - Edit

I always order the vegetarian sampler platter, which is vegan and gives you a taste of several items on the menu. It's always delicious, I always have leftovers, and the staff is always very friendly.

Pros: Vegan Options, Delicious, Friendly Staff

Cons: Street parking only, but never a problem, Restaurant also serves meat

Fantastic Food - Friendly Staff - Edit

This is an outstanding place to eat! We have never had anything but fantastic food here. We love the food and the owner so much, we had them cater our wedding a couple of years ago. Highly recommended!!

Pros: Full of flavor, healthy, friendly staf

Vegan Lunch Buffet A Good Deal - Edit

Tried the vegan lunch buffet today(M-F 1130-230). Only $7.50 for a simple buffet that is probably essentially always the same but each dish is well prepared and delicious.
I especially liked the spicy lentils, cabbage, rice and carrot-potato dish. The salad is the only thing that is very ordinary(only lettuce and one dressing).
The hot Ethiopian tea was nice and a good finishing touch to the meal. I would recommend coming early when everything is fresh. You can park down 17th or 18th in the residential area, but it's hard to find parking right on Broadway.
A cozy and unpretentious restaurant with Ethiopian decor and Ethiopian TV playing. The good is light and I felt very good afterward, not stuffed.
Definitely want to go there again, although it's a bit of a drive. Friendly service. Easy to find off the Broadway exit.

Pros: tasty food, easy to find, good tea

Cons: not fancy, no parking in front

First Time - Edit

Me and My girlfriend driving all day search place to live.. We got hungry, and saw this spot queen sheba.. The only issue is hard to find parking spot that are limited 15-30 minute. I walked in to ask lady where can i park that are 1 hour.. She show me where. She is very friendly. Anyway Buffet was all vegan, and very exciting to eat. It was pretty good. Place is nice, and kinda of loud.

Pros: friendly service, healthy food, good value

Cons: little noisy, street parking

Too good - Edit

I have eaten at Queen Sheba twice. I didn't think it was possible but the food was even better the second time than the first. I always tell myself I will take some leftovers with me but end up stuffing myself. Its that good and such a great deal.
Had the veggie combo with injera. Today I also had the spiced tea. It smelled like cloves and was also really good.
The food arrives quickly but the service can be a little slow. The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. I can't wait to go for the lunch buffet some day soon.

Pros: fabulous food, great variety, good value

Cons: too much food!, service a little slow

Yum - Edit

Delicious weekday vegan lunch buffet for $7.50. Usually salad, spinach, rice, green beans, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, yellow lentils, red lentils, bengal lentals, and injera bread. The music and decor is pleasant, as well as occasional videos they show of Ethiopia.

Pros: delicious food, pleasant staff

Among the best Ethiopian restaurants in N. America - Edit

Simply put, Queen Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant on Broadway in Sacramento is among the best Ethiopian restaurants in the U.S. or Canada. I have dined at 24 Ethiopian restaurants in N. America in the last 8 years, and I am thoroughly impressed by the entire dining experience at Queen Sheba.

Foremost, the cuisine is delicious. Vegetables are clearly garden fresh. The injera holds its tooth well (even the "plate" stays firm for rolling at the end of the meal). For meat eaters, you will find no better presentation- tender, succulent, tasty. The menu is broad and offers choices for every palate. After dining at Queen Sheba three times, I say with confidence that the dishes are prepared to perfection- seasoning, cooking, presentation. The combination plates are generous and representative of their best dishes.

The atmosphere is fantastic: open, warm, soulful and welcoming. Lots of Ethiopian charm with a very natural, unassuming delivery that allows the diner to enjoy the surroundings rather than be overwhelmed. Immaculate and relaxing, a better venue for Ethipian cuisine could not be found.

Service is outstanding- personal, comfortable, attentive, and without delay. Friendly to a wide range of customers. I feel fantastic when I leave because the service is so perfect!

The value is amazing! A full combination dinner for two with beverages can be had for under $25!

Pros: delicious, perfect food, warm, relaxing atmosphere, impeccable service

Return to Sacramento Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Queen Sheba closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5637 times since Aug 2007.