Whole Foods Market - Lamar

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 512-476-1206

525 N Lamar Blvd (at Sixth), Austin, Texas, USA, 78703

This is Whole Foods Flagship store located near where the first location started. It's one of the largest and inside is a "Green", a vegan and raw restaurant (by the produce section). The Green's deli case is all raw, their menu features raw and cooked vegan dishes, and they have pre-packed vegan food too. Deli, vitamins, supplements, fresh fruits and vegetables including organic produce, grocery, natural body care products, natural household cleaning products, and more. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-10:00pm. Open daily.

First Review by beatsutra

very good selection - Edit

So many vegan options. It's like being in heaven (if you ignore the meat and dairy section ;) ) So many nuts, seeds, fruits, meat substitutes and more.

Pros: good selection

Cons: a bit expensive

Mecca of Whole Foods!! - Edit

I was so stoked to be able to check out this place because, obviously, it's Whole Foods' flagship! Basically it was the main reason for my trip to Austin, and it lived up to my expectations. The store was HUGE, had a lively atmosphere and loads of dining options, even including a completely vegan one called "Green". Both times we were there, the food didn't look all that good, so we opted for the salad bars instead. Now if only my local Whole Foods were half as awesome as this one...

Pros: dining options, great vibe

an experience! - Edit

I love this place! It's enormous, easy to find, with great vegan food! I love the salad bar, bread, and vegan indian hot food bar (kale and potato curry with brown rice!) the vegan desserts are great, but NOT healthy at all (ingredient list the size of my arm, including corn syrup and no organic ingredients)

Pros: vegan-friendly, tasty

Cons: expensive, not all healthy

Wish I could always shop here - Edit

Great Whole Foods, I couldn't help spending a couple of hours here just looking at all the products and deciding what would fit in my suitcase. The staff was also really helpful and went out of their way to help me find a very specific brand of vegan cookies whose name I couldn't remember! Eating a wonderful cajun tofu dish and kale salad under the sun in the terrace was an added bonus.

very large flagship store - Edit

While visiting friends in Austin, we wanted to see the flagship store to compare to others. It is really large and has a lot of stuff inside, but doesn't have as open a layout as some of the other newer stores. It was the first time I saw a separate nut bar (with options to make your own butters too) as well as a trail mix bar to make your own. The vegan raw counter is separated from the rest of the deli section, so it was sort of annoying to walk back and forth looking at the various options. The vegan counter is mostly raw, but it's all together whereas in the regular deli section, all the vegan stuff is intermixed with the non-vegan stuff, so you have to go looking at the labels are every counter. There is no separate hot bar/cooked vegan area like I've seen in other stores although there were plenty of different types of deli sections in general. And they make sandwiches and pizza with Daiya. We tried both of course and the sandwiches were particularly tasty. It's a make your own, so we chose Field Roast and Daiya which different breads and toppings. They grill it for you too. Really really yummy. Okay, still thinking about it....anyways, the rest of the store was quite extensive and they have a separate refrigerated beer section in the middle that you walk through (beer alley). Overall, we really liked the store, but I never give WF 5 cows as they sell meat, dairy and eggs (and promote the humane nonsense).

Pros: large store, variety of deli counters, lots of vegan items

Cons: sells meat, dairy and eggs

Flagship store, crazy to miss if you're in Austin - Edit

I spent about an hour wandering the aisles looking for items that weren't in my local Whole Foods. Its a great store, however, the new stores around the country may have surpassed it in grandness.

huge store - Edit

Unfortunately, the vegan/raw prepared foods section is way in the back, nowhere near the other prepared foods section, and so I never got there when I went for lunch. Big beer selection and a lot of local TX produce. Nice outdoor seating, except there are tons of homeless people sitting out there! They carry a lot of local coffee beans, which is great. I wish more Whole Foods would carry as many local products as this one. And they offer Daiya vegan cheese on the pizza they make, although I didn't get to try it there.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 15, 2010

Pros: a lot of local goods, lots of vegan/raw food, great produce

Cons: vegan/raw prep. foods is hiding

They got everything - Edit

Who says being a vegan is utterly boring? This store has got the widest variety of vegan, kosher, gluten-free, etc. etc. foods of all in the world. I totally love the baked goods section with the vegan cookies, brownies, parfaits, pies and cakes. They even have Daiya cheese, which you can get in packets or on a pizza by the slice at the deli. And of course the nut butters that are freshly ground and not processed with a jillion different ingredients. Seriously, you gotta check this place out!

Pros: Large store, Pleasant atmosphere, Great selection

Nice vegan resource - Edit

A huge store with a great selection of stuff for vegans. Pretty much has anything you'll need. The prepared foods areas especially are spectacular - there's a raw/vegan station near the produce section, vegan pizza with FYH in the pizza station, vegan baked goods in the bakery area in the back, among others. Awesome stuff - you gotta love grocery stores that essentially double as food courts! Prepare to shell out some cash, though, if you do a lot of you're shopping here. Plus the meat department is unfortunately huge as well.

Pros: Big with a great selection, Great prepared foods, Good parking, central location

Cons: Expensive!, Can be tempting to overspend, Size can be overwhelming to new visitors

Good vegan selection - Edit

This is a large store with a good selection of products.
On the day I was there they had an unusual selection of gelati with some funky vegan options.
I especially love the self-checkouts and really wish more stores had them.

Pros: Gelati, Self-checkouts, Large store

Cons: Not really any different to most stores

Holy Huge Whole Foods! - Edit

Holy huge Whole Foods! I didn't realize that this was the flagship Whole Foods when I went, but oh my. I nearly got lost in there...it's that huge. They seriously sell everything there, even clothes and jewelry. They also have an amazingly beautiful patio with a mini river flowing through it; nice place to enjoy a snack.

Pros: They Sell Everything, Nice Patio

grocery shopping = field trip - Edit

I wouldn't do weekly shopping here as it is a big expensive, but specialty shopping or eating lunch here is definitely a treat! Parking is taken care of with an underground parking lot, the store itself is like willy wonka's chocolate factory, and the bistro food is unusual and delicious. Lunch offers options for meat eaters, vegetarians, vegans, and raw foodists- something for everyone!

Pros: fun foodie experience, hard-to-find foods

Cons: expensive, crowded at lunch

Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Whole Foods Market - Lamar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2081 times since Aug 2007.