CLOSED: Vegeria - Viva Book Complex

210-826-4223

8407 Broadway Ste 1 (at Viva Book Complex), San Antonio, Texas, USA, 78209

Its first of 2 vegan restaurants, opened Aug 2011 and was the first fully vegan eatery in San Antonio. Serves Tex-Mex and American food with a daily special. Free Wi-Fi. Merged into their other restaurant Viva Vegeria,1422 Nogalitos San Antonio TX, 78204. FEB 2016 THIS OUTLET REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-8:30pm, Sat 10:00am-8:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Mexican, Catering, Tex-Mex

First Review by Elsie

One of the few vegan places in S.A. - Edit

Had the zombieburger and it was without a doubt the best hamburger ever! They didn't serve any bread so it was on salad bed, I would imagine it is even better with homemade bread.

Vivacious Vegeria - Edit

Vegeria's Saturday brunch buffet is my all time favorite, best buffet ever. Took some non-vegan friends there one Saturday, and, while quite skeptical prior to arriving, they had a fine dining experience, complementing the food, the service, the affordability, and remarking that they'd be vegan if they could eat like that daily. Unfortunately, none of them live in or near San Antonio (neither do I), yet they have looked for vegan options in their areas. Vegeria for the win!

Pros: All vegan, mostly gluten-free, Awesomely delicious food, Great service, friendly staff

Cons: Only in San Antonio

Satisfying & Healthy! - Edit

Vegeria has the most healthy Vegan options in San Antonio and I love them for that! Every time I go I know I'm going to leave happy! My favorite time to go is for Saturday brunch, because it's a buffet!!!! Plus they just started offering gluten free beer and wine!

Pros: Healthy, Two locations

Great but not amazing - Edit

They have a lot of choices on the menu, all Tex-Mex and all vegan. A lot of them do seem very similar, so the menu seemed kind of inflated to me. The food was good, but wasn't as good as I was expecting, especially since it was listed as the #1 vegan restaurant for 2015 on Buzzfeed's list. They seem to source their ingredients locally and make most of their sauces and such from scratch (though I don't know that for sure). Make sure you ask about any allergens, as they don't label them on the menu.

Vegan Haven in the South - Edit

The food was so refreshing and the staff was beyond pleasant!

Pros: Buffet to-go option

Definitely Worth A Visit - Edit

Originally we were going to Senor Veggie but it was closed, so we ate here and it was some A+ food! I've only been once so I can only say that I enjoyed my meal, which was the chorizo tacos! The sides are also awesome, we got these fries that had the best seasoning on them and came with awesome sauce. If you enjoy, well, FOOD in general, you will enjoy this place.
It has a nice atmosphere to it, by the way! The guy who worked there was really nice and helpful (forgot his name though). And it's also connected to a book/art store! Looking for a great meal AND some mid-west culture?! SO worth your time if you are in the area!

Pros: Super Tasty!, Friendly staff and atmosphere, On the go vegan munchies for sale

Cons: Hard to find!

So glad I found this place! - Edit

Friendly, helpful staff; reasonable prices; delicious and healthful food. I had the Tuesday special, a quinoa and bean tamale with salad and their fabulous vegan chili. Desserts were on sale; the blonde brownie was to die for!

Nirvana for vegans - Edit

The staff, vegan menu and atmosphere are all sublime!

Pros: Beautiful owner, authentic as they come, Delicious vegan entrees, tamales, yum!, Baked good that make you believe in g-d

Cons: It's not open 24 hours :)

Delicioso - Edit

Love Vegeria. Everything is delicous and the staff is always friendly. Great location too at Viva Bookstore, where I've been a regular for nearly 30 years.

Eat Vegeria! - Edit

Everything I tried here was delicious! My first all vegan restaurant and I had the best burger and cauliflower appetizer. It was neat to have a bookstore attached too! Vegan food and books all in one place? There's nothing more perfect.

Pleasant place - Edit

Food: 9. I traveled into town on a Saturday and so experienced the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. I liked that there were items that were not particularly breakfasty so that it was more like brunch. Some of the items there: ginger kale salad, quinoa pasta cactus salad, banana oatmeal, banana bread waffles, potato bean tacos, tomato grits, and two soups. My favorites were the kale salad, pasta salad, and waffles. Yum! I got some cupcakes to go (not part of the buffet), and they were all pretty good. My only complaint, which is a minor one, is that I feel like the baked items definitely *seemed* gluten free... meaning that they seemed a bit drier to me than their gluten equivalents.

Price: 8. Sorta pricey in my opinion, but not ridiculously so. I liked that there was a dessert deal where I bought 2 cupcakes and got a 3rd free!

Staff: 9. Very friendly and informative.

Atmosphere: 9. Very cozy.

Pros: All vegan, Healthy food, Quaint

Cons: A bit pricey, A bit difficult to find

Contributions +394

Yummy - Edit

This place was pretty good. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is because it was over priced a little bit. There were lots of options and the staff was really friendly.

Pros: friendly staff

Terrific - Edit

Took my non-vegetarian relatives to this restaurant - all of us for the first time. Everyone enjoyed the food immensely. Service was excellent and friendly. It's a 10 out of 10. (Cupcakes and cookies also great!)

Pros: Quality of food, Gluten-free as well as vegan, Kindness of servers

Cons: Hard to see from the road

Must stop for vegans - Edit

Fantastic I can only say fantastic. Great atmosphere amazing food great service

Pros: All the food was terrific , Service very good , Cool place

Cute place with vegan food - Edit

Cute location with all vegan food. They were having an all-you-can eat breakfast the day we went and everything was unique and tasty.

Pros: All vegan, Lots of options, Weekend brunch

(STILL!) so happy you're here! - Edit

(original review posted Dec 15, 2011)
fun, cozy, artzy-fartzy, welcoming atmosphere! so happy this little place opened, esp on Sat which is when we are most likely to be on that side of town.

tamales!!!!! hummus!!!! love love love your creativity and willingness to try new stuff and ask for feedback.

super friendly staff, refreshing teas and lemonades, filling and delish vegan fare.

good music, good company, amazing local artwork make the yummy food even more enjoyable. and new longer hours already!

you burst on the scene and became an instant favorite for hungry vegans (esp on Saturdays!)

thanks for finally being the first vegan restaurant in town!

UPDATE: Vegeria has come sooo far since your grand opening as our very first ALL VEGAN GLUTEN FREE restaurant in SATX. Everything we loved you for from the get-go is even better now. The menu is *always* upgrading, always improving ... the food is tastier, healthier and even more creative now. YUM!! Raw menu offerings are filling and fabulous! (I'm working my way thru those.) All gluten free menu means you don't have to worry about a single thing if you're living GF. Baked goods have evolved past that "oh, it's GF texture" stage, to be such luscious works of culinary art!! Too pretty to eat! Too delicious not to scarf! Gorgeous desserts, some raw, all rich and wholesome to satisfy the sweetest tooth. (Yeah, mine!) Weekdays after 5 pm... buy 2 desserts and get 1 free! I have sooo many favorite Vegeria dishes, it's hard to choose from the menu. And there's always something NEW to try! (more choices!) One solution is to come on Saturdays and nosh on everything on the Brunch Buffet. One price... all you can eat. Come Hungry! The atmosphere is cozy and homey as ever. Did i mention those amazing desserts? My taste buds are talking raw raspberry torte ("cheesecake") with blueberries on top right about now... GO!! Sit, Dine and Enjoy!! :D

Pros: cozy and comfy, always improving and growing and YUM!!, LOVE goes into every dish!

Great Raw Food Options, Mediocre Service. - Edit

I was so excited to find Vegeria! I mean, I love Green (who doesn't?) but as a raw vegan, there are just so many collard wraps you can eat!

The raw options at Vegeria are numerous and delicious:
The taco salad, with their fabulous sunflower chorizo; the awkwardly named "Two Lovers" sandwich with wonderful cashew pepper jack cheese; the bacon cheeseburger, with cashew cheddar and smoky coconut bacon; and the mushroom avocado bacon burger which has coconut bacon, avocado, and the pepper jack cheese, sandwiched between portabella mushrooms.

They used to be open on Saturday, when I would order take-out. Now Saturdays are strictly buffet. Since we're only in SA on the weekends, we don't go there anymore.

While the food was always great, the place did have some issues:
The staff frequently seemed confused by their own menu, and were unsure about raw items.
Service was often slow, and the last time I was there the employees were having an argument in full view of customers.

Pros: Terrific food, Good raw options

Cons: Not fully open on Sat. Closed Sun. , Slow, unprofessional service

Cute place! - Edit

We enjoy going here. The food is good, and I particularly enjoy their Boba tea. Their queso is out of this world. However, I prefer Green Vegetarian Cuisine and Señor Veggie to Vegeria. They are in the same price range, but both have better tasting food. We try to limit eating out and stick to a strict budget, so we rarely go to Vegeria. That being said, it is certainly worth trying out. The atmosphere is fun, the staff is friendly, and the owner sounds like a great person.

Return to San Antonio Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Vegeria - Viva Book Complex closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.