Unicorn Grocery

• Vegan-store Veg Shop
  • Vegan

89 Albany Road, Chorlton, Manchester, England, M21 OBN

100% vegan & organic supermarket with deli counter. A workers co-operative. Offers selection in fresh organic fruits and vegetables, sugar free products, fair trade products. Open Tue-Fri 9:30am-7:00pm, Sat 9:00am-6:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm.

First Review by DJAlbertFreeman

Fantastic Place :) - Edit

I've travelled quite a lot within the UK and in Europe and been to many a Vegan store. I loved this place and think it has edged into my favourite out of them all. It's well stocked, quite a few products I hadn't seen before too, and the atmosphere is great. I could have spent a lot longer wandering around the aisles but we were on a tight schedule. The deli counter was an added bonus and we were able to pick up a healthy and filling lunch to take away. There is a seating area outside though. It was busy, cars queuing to get in the car park but the only time it felt really crowded was around the fridge section. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The products also seemed good value and excellent quality. I loved the ethos of the place and the thought that has clearly been put into every aspect of the store. Not local to me but I can see that I shall be making frequent trips to visit the Unicorn.

Pros: Everything!

Fantastic place - Edit

I was in Manchester for a long weekend, and delighted to see my weekend workshop was in Chorlton, only a 3 min walk from the Unicorn Grocery!

I was amazed to see it so busy on Sat and Sunday lunchtimes, cars were queuing to get into the car park! The place was packed, which is brilliant.

I bought fresh savoury and sweet dishes from their own deli counter - everything I had was amazing. It was also good to get 15p off each time I re-used one of the tubs. Large range of vegan beers/ales, it was a shame I couldn't carry more back! I also bought things I don't see where I live and am looking forward to trying them.

Having first shopped here in 1998/99 when visiting family who moved away in 2004 it's great to come back after 10+ years and see it still thriving.

Pros: 100% vegan, Cakes, Deli counter

Couldn't be better - Edit

Going to the Unicorn Grocery is such a treat, as soon as you walk through the doors there is the delicious faintly spicy smell, a brilliant choice of fresh fruit and veg, and even a range of organic seeds with some I haven't seen anywhere else for growing your own.
There is a good range of non foods and branded grocery products, and a really extensive chill cabinet. For me the most exciting thing is their extensive bulk bagged range, which is really reasonably priced. Their own bagged vegan gravy mix is unbeatable!
As I live quite a drive away, the final part of my visit to Unicorn is always going to the deli counter to get something to eat for lunch straightaway, and something for evening meal later.

Pros: Fantastic range of vegan food, Bulk bagged selection, Delicious deli options - savoury and cakes/dessert

Vegan heaven - Edit

This is the place to go for all vegans so much high quality delicious, organic food to buy. To make it even better it has a cafe with all vegan food !!! Shame it is all the way in chorlton, there need to be more places like this in Manchester

Fantastic Shop! - Edit

Wonderful place to go as an ethically motivated vegan shopper. So refreshing to be able to put ANYTHING in my basket without having to check the label - it's ALL vegan. Also great to know the shop looks after its workers well and supports local and global social justice. I wish every city had a Unicorn!

Brilliant - Edit

Has everything I could ever need.

Perfect grocery store - Edit

An institution in Chorlton...you won't be disappointed.
Great supplies of locally sourced fruit and veg.
Heaps of vegan fridge items.
Plentiful supplies of household goods, soaps, etc.
And then there's the cold fridge!

Pros: Cooperative , All vegan , Allotment sourced veggies

This place is amazing. - Edit

Whilst visiting a friend in Manchester, we shopped at Unicorn twice and would've gone again, but sadly it is closed on Mondays. They have a fantastic selection of fruit and veg, reasonably priced and all organic. The refrigerated section is bursting with all kinds of hoummus, vegan cheeses, burgers, salads (we had a Laura's Idea salad that was fab), and hand pies. There were these little raw cacao bars available in so many flavors it was overwhelming: we chose only one and regretted it because it was SO good! Then there is the deli counter: the vegan pasties and pies were amazing, and the selection changes daily. We tried two flapjacks but they were a little dry. Unicorn also has a great selection of pulses, grains, nuts and seeds, which are prepackaged (by Unicorn) bulk items. Not much in the way of crisps or packaged snacks, and only a teeny tiny freezer. If I lived in Manchester, I would shop here all the time. We are visiting again next year, and this time I will be prepared to stock up! I wish we had someplace like this in NYC. Unicorn is truly one of a kind.

Pros: Great selection, All vegan, Co-operative

Cons: Not in NYC

great for grocery shopping - Edit

I enjoyed my shopping experience here and as a resident of The Netherlands I was glad to see a sign at the cash tills saying they accepted Euros. Sadly their card machines would not accept my Dutch bank card, nor did the cash machine outside. Only Visa.

Pros: fresh fruit and veg , delicious ready-made vegan pies

Cons: unable to take Maestro cards as payment

The Famous Unicorn Vegan Co-op - Edit

Finally got around to visiting Unicorn after living in Manchester for over a decade and it didn't disappoint.
The store has a lovely welcoming warm feel to it. I was impressed by the range of veg and how fresh it all was. I would imagine nothing stays in the shop for long, based on how busy it was was when we went on a week day lunch time.
Managed to find a few things I hadn't seen like Red Kale elsewhere and other stuff that was cheaper than my local health-food stores.
There is a cute little area for kids to play in with a big basket of apples they can help themselves to.

well worth a visit!
I wish it had a cafe.

Pros: All vegan, Quality fresh produce, Low prices especial buying in bulk.

Great.. depending on what your after. - Edit

So it's super busy this store most of the time which is its downfall. The parking is incredibly small and sadly I don't believe the cars are all for the store.
They have the best dates in the world!! Nice selection of nuts and dried fruit. I found there fresh fruit and veg average and reminded me a bit like Asda (nothing special). Great if your a fast food vegan.. Bars, crisps, ice creams etc. not very good if your a raw vegan or watching what you eat. The deli is ok but I wouldn't say the cakes are amazing.. In fact the cake we purchased was very sad and dry. So the shop is great for "cheat day".

Pros: nice selection of nuts and dried fruit, large selection of "naughty food", lovely staff

Cons: parking could be regulated a better, like to see more organic fruit as website betrays, deli could be improved

Vegan Supermarket - Edit

The only 100% vegan supermarket I know of.

So good not to have to check the labels of everything.

Lots of vegan products that can be difficult to find elsewhere, all under one roof.

Good deli counter.

i love unicorn - Edit

unicorn has such a lovely smell and atmosphere, i love it. my boyfriends mum is always buying me cakes and pies and houmous from there, i wish i lived nearer to it

Superstore - Edit

Wonderful range of organic food at reasonable prices. Great variety of cheap fresh fruit and veg. and basic wholefoods. Good deli takeaway. Service usually good and friendly.

Pros: Wide range of wholefoods, Deli takeaway

Cons: Not open on Mondays, Could do with a cafe

If only there were a Unicorn Grocery in every city - Edit

I've come in here a few times on visits to Manchester, and it's always somewhere I stop by if I possibly can! I was first brought here by someone I was couchsurfing with who knew I was vegan to get lunch for a conference, and was blown away from the moment I arrived. So much delicious food! And then it got even better when I found out that everything in the whole shop was vegan. I ate so much delicious food (and especially their awesome cake) that weekend.

Pros: Everything is vegan! , Loads of choice, Great food and ethics

Cons: There isn't one in every city on Earth

Laura's Idea - Edit

So who ever this Laura is, I like her ideas! They sell these ready made dishes from this LAURA.... delicious!! The deli counter has some amazing stuff too. The bread choice is great as well! The best is of course the best fresh vegetables you get from the store. There is plenty choice and I guess you get everything you need for a weekly shop but I recommend do twice a week so that you do not waste the vegetables!

The best in the town! Trust me if you shop here, you will not shop anywhere else ( only applicable for the wonderful veggies and vegans)

Pros: Choice, Location, Very friendly staff

Cons: some things pricey

The ULTIMATE Vegan store - Edit

Massive choice, You can do ALL your shopping here. Recycled Toilet Roll to Organic Hemp oil with everything inbetween. A wonderful local veg patch you can help with.

The people running Unicorn are doing so much to help ecological farming and the community.

Pros: Massive selection, Wonderful Staff, Amazing place

Cons: THERE ARE NO CONS

huge vegan grocery - Edit

i have to echo all the positive reviews on here about unicorn. great selection, friendly staff, huge store, good prices, nice hot-bar/deli counter, etc...

Pros: size, options, staff

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Unicorn Grocery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.