The Table

Contact 613-729-5973

1230 Wellington St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, ON K1Y 3A1

Large vegetarian buffet spread in a cafeteria style setting. Spicy stews, raw food dishes, tea, and vegan desserts, and more. Vegan items are marked. Pay for food by weight. Est. since 2000. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by marturey

Best Place in Ottawa & Favorite Buffet Ever! - Edit

This place has always been my favorite place to go to in Ottawa. Food is always full of flavor, there is always something new and exciting to try. Even though the menu isn't 100% vegan, the vaste majority will be. The staff are also very friendly. I recommend the seaweed salad and the coconut and pineapple pie if ever you stumble upon it. And the patties that are always first on the buffet line are a must!

Pros: So many vegan options, which will be enjoyed by no

Cons: It can be a little pricey, but I promise the food

Home made feel - Edit

Many options for vegans and vegetarians all clearly labelled. gluten free labelled as well. lots of desserts Too!! has a cozy atmosphere and food tastes like it was made at home with love.

Pros: clearly labelled options , pay by weight , the cornbread!

Easy to ID exactly what you're eating + DELICIOUS! - Edit

For Vegans and Vegetarians, nut allergies and no gluten, the labeling makes The Table so easy and the food is excellent! Full of people and warm with local art on the walls. It’s a buffet that has a WIDE variety of vegetarian and vegan food including large variety of desserts and one soup. Just grab a tray and dish and start loading up your plate. Everything was completely clearly labeled with all of the ingredients for each dish on the label. That’s very helpful. If you don’t like mustard, avoid it. If you want quinoa, find it. Clear and easy to identify what was vegan and gluten free or both. All of the salads were made (no salad bar, per se), but they had salads with beets, dandelion, kale, chard, spinach, cucumbers; every veggie main was accounted for. Full hot main dish bar including tofu dishes, rice dishes, curries, samosas, etc. I’m guessing the selection changes daily. Separate dessert bar with fruit dessert choices like crumbles and killer vegan chocolate cake and carrot cake. You pay by the weight of your plate. I had potato dill salad, hot mushrooms, and then a cold mushroom salad, dandelion salad, chard salad, kale salad with tahini dressing, spinach salad in balsamic hot beets in a Dijon sauce, raspberry vinaigrette salad, rice pilaf, and more. They had tofu fritters with onion chutney, curried tofu and many other dishes that I just didn’t have room for, and bread as well. There are many buffets and deli counters in the world, but you really don’t know what is in the food. It would be great for the customers if everyone listed their ingredients like The Table does, (and the vendor would be held to a higher standard if they disclosed what was in the food.) The Table is the kind of place where you could eat daily and I’ve already been there again!

Pros: Excellent Flavors

Cons: Few No Oil Foods

Pretty good - Edit

Decent place for a casual meal. They had separate stations for hot food, cold food/salad stuff, and desserts. Almost everything was vegan as far as I could remember (except for a dairy cheesecake), and a lot of dishes were gluten-free as well. Ingredients were wholesome, food wasn't greasy or heavy, actually quite healthy in general. I only had the hot food, some were tasty, some were just okay. The highlight, though, was the desserts! Make sure to sample some of them before leaving. My partner and I shared three different cakes and the chocolate pudding stuff. They were all delicious without being too sweet.

However, my main gripe with pay-by-weight buffet is always the price, and this one was no different. When there're so many choices lying in front of you, you'll want to try a bit of everything, and the next thing you know, you'll be spending too much than you would've liked. Be prepared to pay $20 per person for an adequate plate of food with dessert... Or just don't come starving :)

Pros: healthy food, great desserts, nice staff

Cons: pricey

Horribly Expensive - Edit

I was frankly shocked at the price of the food. My plate was over $20 and it wasn't a lot of food. The food itself seemed to be made of decent ingredients but wasn't well presented and not really hot or fresh enough, especially considering the price. I won't be going back.

One of my favourite spots :) - Edit

I love going to the table - always a good meal! Great selection of very different dishes, made healthfully, and they list all the ingredients so that you can choose exactly what you'd like to eat. Fantastic selection of teas and desserts, and they have soups but I always forget to look for them before loading my plate :) They also have a frequent customer card, which is great. My favourite stop for lunch on the way home from a trip to MEC in Westboro :)

Pros: delicious healthy food, great staff, great value

health-food; it's a misnomer - Edit

Eating at "The Table" - for the most part; it's the experience that matters more. As to the food choices; you won't go hungry; the hot/cold buffet has a bit for everyone and the variety of foods are so good, you can't help but putting a little of almost everything on your plate.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, a nice place to eat

Cons: a bit short on floor space, only when busy

Wonderful! - Edit

This is one of my all-time favourite restaurants. The first time I walked in, I instantly felt the good energy. It's a real relaxed atmosphere always decorated with local artist works. It's definitely a perfect spot for a date or a meal with mom. Everytime I finish my food (which is assorted vegan buffet) I not just feel full, but FULFILLED. There is a difference! The desserts are fabulous as well.

Pros: Excellent food, Great variety, Super healthy

Cons: A tad pricey

Delicious - Edit

I took my 11 year old here for lunch (under protest, she wanted to go to Wendy's!) we both really enjoyed it - the food was delicious!

Pros: Healthy, Tasty, No parking issue

Cons: Dont know cost until it gets rung throug

Love it! - Edit

I love your location but especially your food choices. I also love your environment as most people do not wear stinky perfume, and this is important to me as I experience Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. I believe its because of similar values and beliefs.

Pros: excellent healthy food, safer environment (less perfume/cologne), friendly staff

A Standby - Edit

Been to this restaurant many, many times. A relative thinks its the best restaurant in Canada, although I have found the heated foods not hot enough. Creative and healthy selections, and introduced me how to eat kale (mashed potatoes, sesame salad), parsnip (mashed, savory pie), and other foods. Generous discount if you show your National Capital Vegetarian Membership Association card. I love the wood tables/chairs. The deserts are wonderful but there are so many you could easily overdue you budget (financially and calorically speaking). You do have to pay attention to the ingredient lists if you are vegan, but useful for those who have food sensitivities. They use a self-serve water cooler that purifies the water, so it tastes much better than tapwater. They have a bulletin board in the entry so you can find out what is going on in town.

Pros: fast, healthy, ingredient lists

Cons: tepid

Good consistent food - Edit

I am not yet a vegetarian, so my first time at the Table was a revelation. Yes, there are choices I make that are not quite to my taste here, but there is enough variety that I always have a satisfying meal. There are plenty of dessert options. I particularly enjoy the cheesecake and the chocolate raspberry cake. There are gluten-free options. The avocado an tomato salad DOES have citrus and cilantro in it. I visit once a month when I am in the area for business. They have a special offer, eat there 10 times paying at least $10. and the next visit get $10. off the meal. I am not fond of the "paying by weight" either, but I usually pay about $13.00 for dinner which includes the patties, some veggies, perhaps lasagna, avocado salad, slaw, and at least two small portions of dessert. I took a meat lover friend here, and he loved the food. I think it is a good place to eat, and will return many times.

Pros: good food and selection, great desserts, convenient location

Cons: small trays, cramped buffet layout

Good food but poor presentation - Edit

My omnivore boyfriend and I recently went to the Table for the first time thanks to a great review from a family member. As a vegan for 2 years I avoided the restaurant because I was not fond of the cafeteria setting and pay by weight. When we first entered the restaurant we were a little uncomfortable. The buffet tables were dated and sloppy looking and the decor was pretty old looking. However, being hungry we loaded up our plates with a huge variety. To our surprise the food was DELICIOUS!! Great flavors, hot, good variety and totally satisfying! My only complaint would Be in the dessert department, ok but nothing special. I would go again for the food but its very casual and doesn't really have a restaurant feel to it. Price wasn't too bad for the quantity.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Spacious

Cons: Buffet style, Dated decor, Pay by weight

I like it but..... - Edit

If I didn't personally like Simon Saab as an individual, I'd likely stick to the Green Door. The food always seems to clock in a little bit into the territory of "good/great" but a bit more than I want to pay for it.

Easily accessible, lots of parking and usually always a free table. Art on the walls consistently tacky and *blech*

Pros: very good food, nice staff, good spot for corner watching

Cons: price, art on walls

The Table - Edit

I enjoy both The Table and The Green Door, and although the Green Door tends to have a wider selection, The Table has improved in this aspect. I prefer the seating at The Table - the tables aren't as close together so it doesn't feel as crowded.
Either of these restaurants are a sure thing if you're looking for quality vegan/vegetarian options. If you don't load up too much on the heavier foods, the price will be reasonable considering the quality of the food.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, choose your own portions

Nothing special but not bad either. - Edit

Like i said about The Green Door, this place can be nice to find vegan food, but there is nothing exciting about the flavors. They have limited choices of vegan sweets. They have a lot of different food, but i was not inspired to try everything. I ended up with a big salad, some steamed veggies and tofu, and tried the desserts. I still think that this kind of places is useful when you're vegan. I just wish they could make food that's a little more creative.

The Better of Two Veggie Buffets - Edit

I prefer The Table to the Green Door - no question - in terms of value for the (still pretty steep) cost, and food selection. There's always an option for vegan desserts (and one that doesn't include chocolate, which I personally appreciate!) and I find that there's usually a very quick replacement of food which keeps food hot and selection high. Finally, there's a pretty diverse set of food options (salads, curries, pies, veggies, raw options, soup, etc), so it's likely that everyone you go with can find something, and eat the amount they want. There's a good amount of seating also, and Westboro is a great location if you want to wander around before or after!

Pros: location, food selection , dishes quickly refilled

Cons: cost

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Table closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.