The Deaf Institute Bar and Kitchen

Contact 01612769350

135 Grosvenor St, Manchester, England,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Basement bar and upstairs music hall in a landmark building. Offers food til 10pm (burger, burrito, pasta) with at least 2 vegan choices on the daily menu. Offers an all-vegan menu on Sunday. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 4:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Western, Beer/Wine, British, Non-veg

First Review by KatyFindlay

Delicious, hearty portions - Edit

I'd seen so many photos on Instagram of the delicious vegan dishes on offer, I just had to visit. We went on a Sunday for the vegan brunch, and we both ordered from the specials menu. I had the Christmas dinner (it was the week before Christmas), which was absolutely gigantic and delicious, especially the gravy - I think it was the best I've ever had. My partner had one of the flat bread pizzas and he really enjoyed the flavours. I'd love to go back and try some other dishes from the menu - there are plenty of vegan options, including some very enticing desserts! I'd definitely recommend this place.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Good value for money, Nice atmosphere

The Deaf Institute - Edit

I've not been here in ages as they lacked much choice but that has all changed. We both had the seitan burger and fries and it was delicious. Lovely toppings including a homemade vegan cheese. I want to try all the other choices as this was a welcome find again.

Pros: Very friendly staff, Wednesday buy one get one free, Good vibe and decor, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Student area so busy sometimes

Not To Be Missed A Vegan Chef Cooking Great Vegan Options - Edit

I was dying to try their Sunday Vegan Hangover, a perfect end to a day spent exploring the Makers Market in the Northern Quarter.

I have been following vegan chef Charlie Hadley on Twitter and although The Deaf Institute is a not a vegan establishment, she has introduced a huge selection of vegan dishes and it gives me comfort being catered for by a fellow vegan.

My husband ordered vegan roast of the day and I opted for the seitan burger. The roast dinner was huge and would cure any hangover with the best ever Mac 'n Cheese as a side dish. My burger was excellent with lots of added bit like homemade cashaw cheese & aubergine bacon.

We shared both desserts, a chocolate brownie bowl, very much like a chocolate fondant, with soft Italian baby meringues and an ice-cream parlour bowl. They were lush and far flung from boring fruit salad or fruit platter, which sadly can be the norm.

What a great place, service from everyone was warm and welcoming. They are hoping to increase their vegan options and currently have vegan options on their Christmas party menu, which would appeal to groups and works outings, where vegans are sometimes an after thought, but not here.

We are so lucky to have places like this, wish I had somewhere like this to go to, back in the day.

Pros: Vegan Options, Vegan Sunday Roast, Vegan Desserts

superb! - Edit

My sister and I visited on a Wednesday so we got buy one get one free on mains! We had the chilli, seitan burger and macaroni cheese and it was all amazing. Admittedly I had a cold so my taste was impaired 👌🏻 but it all still tasted fab. Mixed demographic and really cool music and bar offerings.

Pros: Price, Portion Sizes, Staff Friendliness

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Deaf Institute Bar and Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.