Sala

0362061131

A-03A-G Galeria Hartamas Jalan 26a/80a, Desa Sri Hartamas, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 50480

Serves all-vegan Latin/Southwest/Tex-Mex style fast food including tacos, burritos, chili sin carne and a build-your-own salad bar. Other options include nourish bowls and a couple of veganized Malaysian classics curry laksa and nasi lemak. The name is an acronym for salvar a los animales (save the animals) and also means "living room" in Spanish. Sala is a restaurant, but also a place for vegans, vegetarians and friends to congregate, have meetings and enjoy the safe, compassionate environment. There is a mezzanine space that can be used for conferences and meetings (contact the owner to inquire about using the space). Open Mon-Wed 9:00am-7:00pm, Thu-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm. Full Opening Friday April 28, 2017.

Categories: Vegan, American, International, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out, Mexican, Fusion, Spanish, Latin, Southwest

First Review by economydreams

Awesome vegan food! - Edit

Absolutely loved the nasi lemak! Also tried the tempeh taco and their cupcakes! Lovely!

Pros: Simple and awesome, Super yummy, Affordable

Cons: They gotta have outlets everywhere lol

Photo of Sala  by <a href="/members/profile/Chalice777">Chalice777</a> <br/>Yum! <br/> October 18, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/90976/316276'>Report</a>

Yum!

Photo of Sala  by <a href="/members/profile/Chalice777">Chalice777</a> <br/>Nasi lemak! <br/> October 18, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/90976/316275'>Report</a>

Nasi lemak!

Photo of Sala  by <a href="/members/profile/Chalice777">Chalice777</a> <br/>Cupcake! Loved it <br/> October 18, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/90976/316274'>Report</a>

Cupcake! Loved it

Pretty good - Edit

This restaurant is essentially a vegan version of Chipotle. I ate here during a brief visit to KL. The cab driver didn't know where the place was but he was able to find it with GPS. The atmosphere is quite inviting, especially upstairs, where they have the rug and cushions and stuff. The burritos were pretty good. They had some Mexican hot sauce (similar to Tapatio but not quite as hot). I also enjoyed the brownie. Overall, the food here is quite tasty, It will be even better if they add a few more options like onions, for example.

Great Burritos - Edit

Such a great concept creating your own burrito. Ours was jam packed full of rice, beans, veggies and sauce. Delicious and filling. Also had the falafel burrito. Nice, bright and modern interior. Helpful staff.

Updated from previous review on 2017-07-02

Pros: All vegan, fresh ingredients, nice environment

Delicious vegan food, wonderful owner! - Edit

Sala has an open kitchen, with a Subway-style 'build your own' burrito, salad or taco set up (choose a base, main, extras and toppings from a big range of options - there's a picture of the menu board in the photos).

The mushroom option (made from marinated shiitake mushroom stems) is my favourite - the mushrooms have the most incredible texture and depth of flavour. Very 'meaty'. I recently had the mushrooms in the new 'bagel burger' option that is/was recently being trialled. It's not on the printed menu yet, but is worth asking for. They have a few flavours of bagels (also available for breakfast) provided by a local supplier. I had an onion bagel and all together (with the mushrooms and loads of toppings including house-made vegan mayo) it was possibly the tastiest 'burger' I've ever eaten!

The nasi lemak is very good and includes two types of sambal and vegan (mushroom based) ikan bills (anchovies).

Chilli sin carne - the potato/carrot-based nacho cheese and vegan sour cream take the (already delicious) chilli to the next level.

Curry laksa - a big bowl of love. Last weekend I was told they have changed (improved) the recipe due to customer feedback - I thought it was good when I tried it (before the change) so I'm looking forward to trying it again. Also nice to know that customer feedback is taken on board.

Bliss balls and brownies are available for a sweet treat, as well as other cakes. The brownies are really good!

And finally, I can't finish this review without mentioning the owner, Fauzi, who is an incredibly friendly and passionate ethical vegan. He is incredibly hard working, and has such a great vision for Sala. This place really is one of a kind in KL. I honestly wish I lived nearer.

Pros: wonderful food, friendly staff, refreshingly different (in KL)

Photo of Sala  by <a href="/members/profile/Spaghetti_monster">Spaghetti_monster</a> <br/>takeaway burrito (bring your own container is encouraged) <br/> April 24, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/90976/251748'>Report</a>

takeaway burrito (bring your own container is enco...

Photo of Sala  by <a href="/members/profile/Spaghetti_monster">Spaghetti_monster</a> <br/>nourish bowl <br/> April 24, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/90976/251744'>Report</a>

nourish bowl

Photo of Sala  by <a href="/members/profile/Spaghetti_monster">Spaghetti_monster</a> <br/>laksa <br/> April 23, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/90976/251743'>Report</a>

laksa

Amazing food and lovely staff! - Edit

We made the journey out here based on the previous review and we're very glad we did!
My boyfriend got the chilli and I got the large curry laksa (beware, when they say large they mean large and I couldn't finish it all!)
The chilli was very nice and I was happy to find some "traditional" food that had been veganised. The prices were decent, the chilli was RM9 and the large curry laksa was RM10 (regular was RM7) which is good for 100% vegan food in a capital city.
They also have a range of cakes/brownies which we have bought and we're looking forward to eating them later.
Last but not least the staff were all really friendly and helpful. I would recommend this place in a heartbeat!

Photo of Sala  by <a href="/members/profile/economydreams">economydreams</a> <br/>Curry Laksa <br/> May 30, 2017  - <a href='/contact/abuse/image/90976/264079'>Report</a>

Curry Laksa

Best vegan burritos in Malaysia! - Edit

Went to this newly opened vegan restaurant today. This is the first spanish/mexican vegan restaurant to open in Malaysia. Cool eh? :)
As I walked in, everyone was so friendly and welcoming. I ordered my food at the counter and got to select the fillings and sauce for my burritos. I had my burritos with mushroom filling and hummus on the side. Perfection!!! I love hummus and the mushroom went really well as a filling in the burrito. I also ordered chili, tacos and my aunty had curry laksa. For dessert, I had the brownies and 2 bliss balls. My favourite out of everything I ordered were the burritos and brownies. The brownies is probably my new favourite + best vegan brownies that I have ever tasted in my entire life. It tasted fudgy and also had peanut butter filling inside. Really good!!! The atmosphere of the place was really peaceful as well. The people working there were also friendly. It's a place where you can just go there to chill out and daydream haha. I can't think of any downsides of this restaurant other than they using aluminium foil to wrap the burritos and also plastic spoons which might not be reusable (I don't know)
Well that's only a downside if you are a zero-waste environmental freak like me haha.. But yeah in conclusion, I really like this place and would definitely return for their amazing food and the good vibes that this place gives me!

Updated from previous review on 2017-04-29

Pros: Tasty food, Relaxing atmosphere , Friendly Staff

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sala closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.