Sacred Chow

212-337-0863

227 Sullivan St (at between Bleecker & W 3rd, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10012

New york vegan restaurant. Small sit-down lounge like intimate environment. Offers: hero sandwiches, pastries including wheat & gluten-free, salads, tapas style vegan proteins, smoothies, and more. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by cassius

small and quaint - Edit

Visited this place while studying in the area one day. Had a great sandwich for lunch. Was filling and not overly heavy. It's a small spot which I could foresee as annoying if it was packed but it was empty at the time. My wife visited and had some tapas, which she enjoyed the option to pick a couple different small plates.

Pros: delicious and light, quaint

Cons: small if packed

100% Rockin' Vegan Brunch - Edit

I had a wonderful experience on my first time dining here for brunch. They have a great selection of plant-based dishes, friendly service, and the food was delicious! Coming back to try the other options on the menu.

I came in with a craving for french toast. Not only do they make one of the best tasting and healthiest french toasts I've had which is generously topped with blueberries, bananas, and cinnamon, but it's also all vegan, which allows anyone with any food/dairy/egg restriction to enjoy this sweet treat. Do yourself a favor and order this for your next brunch out in the city. If you are a sweet-breakfast type, but not craving French toast, they also have waffles and pancakes to satisfy.

Pros: brunch specials, friendly service, affordable

delicious but a tad costly - Edit

The food was great, my sister and I went, each ordering just one main. She ordered a drink as we'll. What astounded me was that sauces costed 1.50$ for not that much.

Pros: great food

Cons: kale is not chopped, hard to chew in sandwiches

A perfect spot - Edit

I first got to know this place when they were over in Hudson. This venue is more restaurant and less cafe. It's a great place for a diverse range of foods and I have always loved their dessert items.

Pros: Great cake, Good location , Well priced

Fantastic Brunch - Edit

We went here for brunch a couple of months ago and it was amazing! To start, they have great mimosas. The French toast was to die for. I highly recommend going here for brunch - I look forward to going back to try their dinner menu.

Good food - Edit

They carry a good variety of different meals and the staff is friendly and courteous. The interior is not too cozy but it's ok and you feel good.

Not a fan - Edit

We purchased a Groupon for this restaurant, perhaps that is why we received the half-hearted service, although I did hear comments from those sitting next to us that the service was not good, and it appeared that they paid cash (no groupon). The food is uninspired, even bland. My dessert (the cheesecake) was the only item that made me mouth happy, otherwise it was quite boring and our server was so uptight, curt and when we tipped her accordingly she stared at us with a seething glare across the room followed by that passive aggressive tactic, "was there something wrong with the service?" When I calmly began telling her how it could have been better, she responded on what I should do next time as the customer.....(next time?) So, she wasn't interested in hearing just responding. In short, there usually is something to be said about a restaurant that has been around a few years and offering a Groupon.

Pros: Cute little place with a cozy vibe, Good location

Cons: Bland food, nothing special about it, Unacceptable service

A great meal - loved the tapas tasting plate - Edit

We ordered the tapas which gave us a little selection of everything and we weren't disappointed. All the dishes were top quality, while there were no particular 'must have' standouts they were all generally tasty and it was nice to try a bit of everything. It's a cute place, small tables. Nice wine as well

Pros: tasting plates, wine

Great Service Fantastic Food - Edit

You will not be disappointed in this Vegan Landmark

Tapas, Paninis, Desserts! - Edit

This place has great food! The tapas and the paninis have a lot of overlap, but I suspect that the paninis are a better deal. For $10 or $11, you get a sandwich with the same or more food than would be in the tapas portion, and delicious home fries. The rosemary foccacia is really tasty, but if you're gluten free, you can get the sandwich on a tasty tortilla.

Some of the absolutely delicious offerings include nama gori tofu, meatball sub, olive seitan, tempeh reuben, and BBQ tempeh.

The $11 chocolate cake is very rich and decadent! The brownie is also chocolatey goodness.

I will say that one Sunday morning, I met my friends at Sacred Chow for brunch. It was very crowded. A waiter with big hair sat us down and took our order, but then he came back twenty minutes later and asked us what we wanted to order... again! He must have been high or something. Ultimately, we got free desserts because of the mishap and for having to wait so long for our food, so the restaurant did right by us, but I would stay away from that server.

Pros: Vegan tapas, Vegan paninis, Decadent chocolate cake

Cons: Questionable service one time

Tapas - Edit

We chose a selection of tapas: eggplant rollatini, grilled nama gori, tempeh, seaside nori bits, black olive seitan and the special brussels sprouts. They were quite interesting. The nama gori has a distinct texture from having been frozen (and which we've unintentionally replicate when we cook and then freeze).The nori bits and seitan were especially good. Overall, the food was highly salted and many items had a lot of oil. Desserts for us were the ample specials apple blueberry crisp and a maple cheesecake. The room was pleasant.

Pros: pleasant, interesting selection of tapas

Cons: too much oil and salt

YUM - Edit

Very good food. Amazingly friendly staff. Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Clean, Friendly, Yummy

Sunday Brunch - Edit

This was not my first time here, so I've been able to sample several of the brunch menu items. I suggest the scramble and biscuits. The table we had was too small - it made it difficult to even lift your fork and cut food if you're seated against a wall.
For a place that specifically serves brunch, you would think you could get a glass of orange juice, but you can only order the more expensive juice blends.

Pros: 100% vegan, good portions

Cons: limited space for seating, limited juice beverage menu for brunch

OK @best For Vegan Rest - Pro: Food, Tapas; Con: Service, Price - Edit

Overall:
If you haven't been here, I don't think that you're missing anything. No world view will be altered by making a special trip to this restaurant as I did.

Pro:
Their tapas style allows you to sample different entrées in reasonable quantities. I like their rendering of different foods -- meatballs, sobe noodles, mushrooms -- as deserving of Zag at review.

Con:
When I have to ask for H2O & my water glass is removed, w/o permission, after being refilled once, the service needs serious overhaul. Value for money is negative.

Pros: Vegan Variety, Tapas Style

Cons: Service, Value

Favorite! - Edit

I continually recommend and take friends of all dietary choices and restrictions here and everyone loves it. I think I am addicted to their fantastic, mouth-watering-wonderful foods, their seasonal specials and seasonal specialty cocktails, their extensive and delicious menu and beverage selection....don't get me started on their desserts. The staff is always very nice and helpful, the atmosphere is welcoming, there's a great music selection and various seating options. The menu is helpfully labeled including items that are gluten free, wheat free, sugar free, nut free, etc; the owner is gluten-intolerant or Celiac and they're very conscientious about cross-contamination (just make sure you tell them if you have a dietary restriction). Plus, it's all vegan and kosher and very yummy!

Pros: wonderful menu, great staff, allergy and dietary friendly

Cons: could have more seating , could have longer hours

Good food and variety - Edit

I went here with the family (2 young kids) and everyone enjoyed it very much.

It serves a variety of great comfort food and sometimes with a slight twist so it's interesting too. And it's all good from entrees to desert. There is plenty of variety.

Some people have left reviews that it's expensive for what it is. Well, it's table service in the city so let's be reasonable.

We were here for lunch and although there were plenty of people it seemed sort of subdued - like everyone was engaged in a romantic conversation or talking about things under their breath. But maybe it was just that day, or maybe it was just me? Not that it matters that much unless you plan to be the loudest one there.

Pros: All vegan!, Food tastes great., Variety

average Overated - Edit

brought here by a cs member.
As it told me it wss the VEGAN PLACE IN NYC i had great expectation.
however i had a really low average plate for like 12 or 13 box which I assume is a decent place for NYC but well that hasn't convinced me to go back, nop nop

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sacred Chow closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.