Halo

• Vegan
Contact 0862918506

12L1 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Dakao, D1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

Typical com binh dan place - casual, blue collar. Offers rice plates, noodle soups, daily specials, and a la carte dishes to dine family style. Com van phong/com dia (office lunch/rice plate, includes small bowl of simple soup). Previously at 18A1/4 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by Coppelia

OK if you're nearby - Edit

This place serves simple, home style Vietnamese food, which you select from a display cabinet. There are better places for more interesting food in Ho Chi Minh City, but this is down-to-earth and the food is not bad, if very plain. I was given a plate with a bed of rice and then chose things like tofu and mushrooms, stuffed bitter gourd and other things I wasn't quite sure about, which were served to me by staff. At the table I was brought a reddish purple soup with mushrooms in it. A little bit later I was brought a small bowl of broth with vegetables. All of this cost VND40,000, which was not as cheap as some better vegan restaurants in the city. Fine for something to eat if you're in the area, but I wouldn't hunt it down (except I did and Google Maps didn't make it easy for me).

Pros: Simple and unpretentious

Cons: Not that exciting, Not as cheap as places with better food

Simply good - Edit

Basic setting in the prime area of Ho Chi Minh City They speak also English and the menu is in English as well. Carefully prepared Vietnamese vegan dishes.

Pros: All vecgan, affordable, tasty

Not Good - Edit

I'm sorry to say (really) that this has been my worst meal in Vietnam. It's especially unfortunate because this is one of the only *vegan* restaurants (as opposed to "vegetarian", whatever that means anymore).

The best thing I can say about this food is that it took me back to memories of my old middle school days eating in the school cafeteria. The same sensation of sucking down the food like medicine, rather than enjoying it, was constant throughout my meal. It was the first and only restaurant I ever left food on the plate in Vietnam. I pretended to be sick and just paid my bill and left.

The tomato sauce was just sour ketchup, the mushrooms were slimy and tough, the sauces all seemed like thy came from a can at a discount food pantry, the tofu was disturbingly pink in colour and other-worldly in texture, and the rice tasted like instant box rice. There's not one good thing I can say about the food at Halo, and I really wish that were an exaggeration. I hate to speak ill when they are trying to do the right thing, but they are so far off the mark I can't even pretend.

Pros: Quiet

Cons: Taste, Quality, Freshness

Absolutely must try for a vegetarian - Edit

I have been in Ho Chi Minh for a month now. Just near my place I stay is this small vegetarian restaurant. The place is clean and serve a basic but wonderful vegetarian lunch and noodle soup dishes at night. I have been here like numerous time when I want to have a healthy food. The lunch is a buffet style with numerous offering of about 15 dishes. You can pick or the lady will choose for you. Not much mock meat, but lots of vegetables, tofu and mushrooms. It comes with a bowl of soup for only 25,000d. At night they have numerous noodle dishes that can be order, portion is small but is fresh and tasty.
Pro: Clean, cheap, and taste healthy. Yes, they grill some of their vegatables so not oily.
Con : Place is small and no english menu

Great com van phong - Edit

Rice plates are very good; the options change a bit from day to day, and in my many visits, I've yet to be disappointed. Braised jackfruit, stuffed bitter melon, and sauteed chayote squash have been outstanding. They don't use a lot of mock meats but they do use a lot mushrooms, which I'm glad for since I'm very picky about mock meat. Southern Vietnamese food tends to be on the sweet side, but not so here. They have daily noodle soup specials, a couple of which are not common at other veg. restaurants around town (bun moc, for example). They also do hot pots and have an extensive menu of the usual a la carte Vietnamese food fare.

Pros: Food tasty and not too sweet, Decently priced

Cons: No A/C, Can get very crowded

Return to Ho Chi Minh City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Halo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2089 times since Jul 2013.