First Review by Veg55

Interesting experiance - Edit

This was not a place I would have checked out unless my friend recommended it. We wound up meeting here for dinner one night and it was pretty amazing. Its kind of underwhelming from the front but inside is really nice. Buddist run and incredibly insane portion sizes. I was a little put off by the prices until I realized that 3 people could probably split one dish and be full. We were a party of 6 and order more than we needed to and still enjoyed every bit of food. Warning though, when the wait staff asks your table repeatedly if you are sure about the sauce texture on one of the dishes and how most "Westerners" don't like it, listen. They are not trying to be rude. The sauce we ordered on one of our dishes was not something I enjoyed texture wise but my husband was ok with. Its definitely for more adventurous palates.

Pros: Insane portion sizes, Huge selection, Really tasty

Cons: Strange when staff warns you about sauce texture

Best Chinese Restaurant! - Edit

This place is FANTASTIC! I think they have a couple items containing cheese which is strange for Asian food but they are clearly marked on the menu. The menu is huge and everything I've tried has been delicious. My favourites are the sweet and sour pineapple and the bean curd in black bean sauce. The portions are massive so even three items will leave you with leftovers if you're dining with one other person. The service is always really quick and friendly. Highly recommended to anyone looking for an authentic Chinese dinner.

Pros: Delicious, Huge portins, Fair price

Long time vagan eatery in Vancouver that used to be located on Main at 16th. Great food at any time, but especially love the dim sum. Check out the peatip rice wraps my fav.. It can get busy, so choose an off peak time or make a reservation. I now am going in and choosing something different off the menu each time and always find something great.

Amazing! - Edit

I'm so glad we stumbled upon this place while we were in the neighbourhood!

This restaurant labels itself as 'vegetarian' so I was a little concerned when I saw the menu, it wasn't clear if there was eggs or dairy in any of the dishes. We asked the waitress and she confidently assured us several times that all dishes are vegan other than the ones described as "baked with cheese".

We started with Hot & Sour soup, it had lots of goodies in it, including Shitake mushrooms. It was tangy and delicious. We also had the Sweet and Sour faux pork, amazing! The Shanghai noodles were also very good.

When the waitress accidentally brought us the wrong tofu dish she was very polite about it, she apologized and brought us the right one ASAP and it was perfectly crispy and delicious.

My first impression when I walked in to Po Kong was that it smelled nice and clean, not greasy at all. The whole restaurant was super clean including the restrooms.

Overall I couldn't have asked for more from this restaurant. The portions were generous, reasonably priced, everything came quickly and the service was excellent. They even brought us delicious nuts and cookies with the bill.

I highly recommend Po Kong and I really hope to go back soon!

Pros: Good Service, Mostly vegan, Good size portions

The Best Asian Food - Edit

I've eaten here several times over the past couple of years. Once for Dim Sum - what a novelty to have vegan dim sum! - and the rest for dinner. I've gone with my omnivore parents and omnivore friends and everyone has loved the food, and the experience.

The Atmosphere of this place is great, the staff is friendly, efficient, and accommodating. The place has always been packed when I go, but the food is always quick to come out, and the portions are amazing. Many times that I've been there the manager personally comes over to see how we are enjoying the food and I find this to be a really nice personal touch. The people here seem to really take pride in what they're doing.

As for the food, you can't beat it. The prices are inexpensive, and the portions are huge. We have eaten so many things off the menu from fried rice, to bean curd skins in black bean sauce, to the wonton soup, sweet and sour, sticky rice in bamboo leafs, stir-fries, sauteed mushrooms, sesame balls and more. I wish I could remember everything I've tired, but by now it's probably at least half the menu. This is a great place to go with people who might be skeptical about vegetarian and vegan food, and a great place to go with a crowd.

I will always come back when i'm in town. If you haven't been you should really check it out!

Pros: Amazing Food, Friendly, helpful Staff, huge portions

Changing my mind - Edit

We went back to Po Kong a couple of times after that first review. We got a different waitress that had no clue about the menu so all of a sudden we were not so confident about the vegan options.
Second of all, we parked at the back and had a peek in the kitchen: disgusting! I will not set a foot in there again.
Plus the toilets were also gross.

We had wanted to go to Po Kong for a while but were put off by the fact it is vegetarian, and not fully vegan, so it makes it harder to know which options are vegan when they are not clearly defined on the menu. We asked for no veggie ham in any of the dishes and they did a great job.
The service was so fast, like it took a few minutes to prepare 6 dishes when the restaurant was already packed. We tried the salt and pepper deep fried konjac (amazing and highly recommended!), the bean curd rolls in black bean sauce, spicy green beans, 3 mushrooms and taro hot pot, pineapple fried rice and seaweed bean curd rolls. Everything was super tasty and the portions were HUGE! Luckily we were planning for lunch the next day.

Updated from previous review on Friday October 25, 2013

Pros: Huge menu, Fast and friendly service, Large family style portion

Cons: hard to know what's really vegan?

One of my favourite restos in Vancouver - Edit

The food is excellent, each dish is distinct and the menu has a huge selection. I often wish I could be there with a large group of friends so we can try more dishes. The wait staff are fast and efficient. The place is clean and the opening hours are great.

Pros: Really good food, Lively and happy environment, Great experience

Cons: Sometimes have to wait for a table

Excellent choice for a Birthday dinner! - Edit

Came here on Thursday July 11th for a friend's birthday dinner. We were 13 people around a large table.
A great idea.
One of the guests was very knowledgeably about Chinese foods, and ordered our dishes.
We had an excellent set of dishes, such as:
spinach noodles with veggies
udon with black pepper sauce
sweet and sour tofu chicken with pineapple
cashews and greens with tofu chicken
fried rice
wonton soup
It was a very good meal of at least 15 platters/ dishes!!
I'd really recommend giving them a try.

Pros: Wide variety of dishes, Good value for money, Flavourful dishes

Cons: Some dishes were too oily

Heaven in the morning - Edit

Went to Po Kong Vegetarian Restaurant on a Sunday with friends. Off the Dim Sum menu, we ordered spring rolls, sweet rice dumplings, sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaf and barbecue buns. From their regular menu, we ordered Bean Curd Skin Rolls with Black Bean Sauce. Everything was fantastic. What a luxury to have an all vegetarian Dim Sum menu. The place is cheerful and very clean. We will return often.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, good value

Try it, you'll like it - Edit

Went with friends to try out this new veg Asian restaurant on Kingsway. Food was fantastic with generous portions, and reasonably priced. Friendly service. Reminded me of Whole Foods vegetarian restaurant on Main. Hope to see it busier next time, it certainly deserves it.

Pros: Great veg food, Friendly staff, Good portions

Cons: Plastic tablecloth, Brightly lit

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Po Kong Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4602 times since Feb 2011.