Papaya's Natural Foods

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 808-823-0190

4-831 Kuhio Highway (at Safeway shopping ctr, Kauai), Kapaa, Hawaii, USA, 96746

Small, well-stocked natural food store with a juice bar, hot and cold foods bar inside. Offers fresh fruits and vegetables, bulk staples, packaged snacks, refrigerated foods, care products, vitamins, and more. The food bar is pay-by-weight. Mon-Sat 8:00am-8:00pm, Sun 10:00am-5:00pm

First Review by The Vegan Snorkeler

Excellent Natural Foods Store! - Edit

Papaya’s is a very valuable resource for both locals and visitors to Kauai. If you’re used to shopping in health food stores (anything from Whole Foods to your local organic grocers) then you’ll want to check out Papaya’s. The nearby Foodland has a small designated health-food section, but Papaya’s blows this away. Whether you (like me) forgot your razor and want to pick up a Preserve recycled razor, or decide (like me) that you really need deodorant on Kauai and want something non-toxic and eco-friendly, then stop at Papaya’s. You can pick up anything from limes to go with your Koloa rum, bulk macadamia nuts or trail mix for your hike, decent grass-fed cheese (the selection in Foodland is poor), gluten-free items, or meals to cook at home. They also stock a lot of local products (and produce, like my limes) such as organic bread from the Passion Bakery, very affordable local honey, and proper grass-fed eggs. Prices are also good – for example, a 12 oz. jar of Hanalei honey cost only $5.39, and 8 oz. of organic cheddar was on sale for $5.99.

I’m giving them 5/5 green stars for social and environmental impact. It’s a pillar of the community (the mayor even proclaimed June 6th as the annual Papaya’s Market day!) that stocks and supports products from a lot of local farms and business. It’s a woman-owned, family-run business that’s a member of the Independent Natural Food Retailer’s Association (like Down to Earth on Oahu and Maui, or Bi-Rite in San Francisco) who’s core values are to encourage a healthy and sustainable lifestyles with integrity and transparency. In the store, the staff creates a very friendly and inclusive atmosphere. Of course the green-star rating is largely down to their product section – and, having reviewed many products for social and environmental impact, I’d say that they stock some of the most responsible products available. There are also a number of farmers markets on Kauai, but if you need to visit a store, Papaya’s is a much better option than Foodland or Safeway. Plus they give you a 15 cent discount for bringing your own bag – even better than Whole Foods!

Pros: Friendly Service , Great food selection

Cons: Not fancy

Only game in town - so beggars can't be choosers - Edit

We were grateful for this place since it was the only place that had some vegan/vegetarian food in Kauai. Although they do serve fish and eggs here as well. Plus their health food store was well stocked - so we got our organic produce and prepackaged foods. The hot bar/salad bar was pretty expensive for what it was and not very tasty. We were spoiled after going to Down to Earth in Maui. But all in all I would recommend this store. Service was average and check out time slow since they only have 2 counters. If you want to get a pre-made sandwich or wrap get it first thing in the morning - they run out quick!

Pros: extensive health food store

Cons: serves fish, eggs

Main Shooping stop for my visit. - Edit

This is one of the markets that I usually visit on my way from the airport to the north shore to fill up for my stay. I get everything I need and maybe lunch or dinner too. It's certainly a local's place. Always has been friendly and get caught up on the happenings on the locals bulletin board. So very glad its here.

Amazing found - Edit

It is truly the best healthfood store/juice bar on the island.They have a great wide selection s of all the well known brands and plus some locally produced foods. The Kauai kombucha is fantastic.The juice bar has smoothies with rice milk and fresh juices with local ginger and turmeric roots.They sell a wide variety of local fruits, we tried them all and my favorite was the eggfruit and rambutan. They have even raw wraps in the little refrigerator on the side of the juice bar which was delicious.The store is huge and well organized, the stuff is very nice too. Love that place!

Pros: easy parking, great selections, yummy juices

Love it - Edit

We were so excited to find this gem just a 3 min walk from our resort. We filled our fridge with organic goodies and went back every day for a late lunch. Loved the smoothies, the soups, sandwiches and salad bar. They also carry a wonderful local Kombucha by the Kauai Juice Co.

Eat in the courtyard outside. To find it, just follow the little shops around from either Safeway or Longs. It's under the clock tower. If you plan to eat there a lot get a "coffee" type card; for every $5 you purchase on the $50 card, you will receive 1 stamp. When the card is full you will get $5 off a single cafe purchase.

Pros: Lots of choice in all areas of health, Very friendly staff

Good place to stock up - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Papaya's Natural Foods review.

Here you will find a good selection of the basic natural foods stuff from bulk staples to snack foods, supplements, refrigerated foods, fresh produce, etc... to a small hot foods & salad bar plus smoothies bar.

You pay for bar food by weight, and eat outdoor in the courtyard. Some things are more pricey than you would find on mainland USA, but this is Kauai, and the cost of living is high. In any case, I was very pleased to have found Papaya's.

A set back is that Papaya's is tucked away in the corner of the shopping plaza where Safeway and Longs Drugs are located, and you can't see it from the street.

Pros: small but well-stocked, eat cheaply at food bar, courtyard seating

Best organic foods store on the island! - Edit

I love the kale salad, tofu with brown sauce and they have all the vegan and veg treats that I love such as primal strips, yum!

Pros: lots of bulk foods and spices, yummy prepared foods, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: smaller than whole foods, pricey, like most natural food stores

Great place to pick up some vegan staples! - Edit

Papaya's was very well stocked with a huge variety of vegan frozen and dry goods as well as a decent selection of hot and cold foods within their food bar.

It's a bit pricey, but it's worth it to support a local store selling stuff that vegans can eat!

It's a great choice if you don't want to go out for each meal!

Pros: Huge selection of vegan products, great service, central location

Cons: pricey

Stock up on good vegan food here - Edit

We started out the trip at Papaya's, and I'm glad we did. They had lots of vegan grocery options and we were able to find food that would last our whole trip. They were a little pricey so we went to the grocery store next door and were able to find some of the same items/brands for cheaper (soy milk, veggie meats, cereals), but there were some great vegan vacation items at Papaya's that we wouldn't have been able to find anywhere else (chocolates, soy cheese, cookies, etc.)

The cafe food was great, and the owner let us sample everything before buying. They had a delicious pumpkin soup, thai garlic soup, vegan risotto salad, and lots of other delicious items. Our vacation wouldn't have been nearly as good if we hadn't been able to stock up at Papaya's, we really felt like we were able to treat ourselves and have some good vegan foods. The restaurants on the island had mediocre vegan food for expensive prices.

Pros: healthy, good food, good selection

Cons: price

Great Health Food Store - Edit

This is a great place to stock up on vegan kitchen essentials while you're staying in Kauai. We bought sandwich supplies so that we could bring our vegan lunch with us to the beach. They have delicious raw chocolate and an overall nice selection. There's also a Papaya's in Hanalei.

Pros: good selection, friendly staff, courtyard eating area

Return to Kapaa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Papaya's Natural Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1597 times since Aug 2007.