Nagataya

Contact +81-822470787

Shigeishi Bldg 1F, 1-7-19, Otemachi, Hiroshima, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers the famous Japanese dish called okonomiyaki which is made in front of the customer. Has separate and vast vegetarian/vegan menu section. Open Mon 11:00am-9:00pm, Wed-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-9:30pm, Sun 10:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by notsorural

Vegan okonomiyaki close to Peace Park - Edit

I've never had okonomiyaki before, but I had to try this as it is specifically vegan!

It was very nice, a rice 'pancake', noodles, cabbage, corn, shallots and garlic chips. You add on a 'vegetable sauce' (which the waitress said was specifically vegan), and there are also bottles for chilli, spices or garlic on the table.

Each grill is cleaned in between people eating at it, which is great!

Once I queued for about 10 minutes, and another time I queued for about 25 minutes. It just depends on how busy it is when you arrive!

Pros: Friendly staff, Quick service (once seated)

Cons: Only one vegan choice, Can be queues

Love! - Edit

I've heard only great things about Nagataya and they truly live up to their reputation. Yes you do have to wait a bit but it's totally worth it. Requesting to sit at the counter does however, get you in the door faster. The staff are very accommodating to foreigners and of course vegans. The only improvement that I'd like to suggest is maybe making more vegan friendly toppings available such as shiitake (shiitake bacon anyone?! ). I'm one of those people who loves to load up on vegetables. Hey! Okonomiyaki does roughly mean "whatever you like grilled" in Japanese. So yes, in short, Nagataya is a definite place to go if you're vegan. :)

Pros: English speaking staff, English menus , accommodates vegans

Cons: limited vegan friendly toppings

Hmm...I could do better at home when it comes to vegan version. - Edit

After visiting Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, my fiancé and I went to Nagataya which very closely located to the park. We ordered two vegan okonomiyaki dishes, one with soba with rice, garlic and veggies and another with only soba and veggies. It took about 10 minutes for them to serve what we ordered since they start cooking from the moment they get the order. We were ravenous and all the good reviews and their reputation made my expectation high. To my disappointment, however, what they brought were just simple soba dishes with no ooh and aah. I guess it was because we ordered vegan menus and that was the best thing they could offer without violating veganism. I don't mean to insinuate their dishes were not good, but simply they were TOO SIMPLE. Besides, I was not happy with the price I had to pay for these two simple dishes. Their service and hygiene was quite ok though.

Pros: convenient location, liveliness and vibe, fresh ingredients

Cons: lack in diversity of choice, Vegan dishes are SADLY simple TT, Meaty smell in the air (no complaints though :->)

Authentic Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima - Edit

We were told that Hiroshima Okonomiyaki was a must-do while in the city, so thank the lawd for Nagataya, which has a separate vegetarian menu with obvious vegan options (ask for it).

We arrived at about 7pm and the line was out the door so if you're not up for waiting, arrive early. The wait was about 40 minutes but you get given a menu and order while in line (hint: you'll probably be seated faster if you choose a bench over a table!)

Once seated in front of your own hot plate, you'll be given a special vegan Okonomiyaki sauce. I opted for the one with the most toppings and it was very filling, I couldn't finish it all. Very tasty but would probably only do once on a shorter trip.

Staff were incredibly attentive and friendly with good English.

Pros: Authentic experience, Separate vegetarian menu, Great staff

Fantastic vegan okonomiyaki! - Edit

It's a great way to experience vegan or vegetarian okonomiyaki. They provide an English menu, but you may have to ask for the vegetarian menu. Once ordered, they bring the vegan sauce. It's a beautiful traditional setting, and a wonderful experience to share with friends or family. Staff have decent English, it was easy to order.
The only issue was that I felt kind of weird because the waiter asked twice if I really wanted to order 2nds, then the cook came and asked again (I guess it's unusual to eat so much?). It was definitely worth it though, it tasted fantastic. I wish I could give a 5 star rating as it deserves it, they have a dedicated vege menu and even mention how they thoroughly clean the hot plate before serving the vege okonomiyaki.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 09, 2016

Pros: Fantastic food, Dedicated vegan / vegetarian menu, Fun experience

Cons: Asked multiple times if I wanted 2nds.

Okonomi-likey - Edit

Damnnnnm! This place is awesome. We shared their garlic vegetarian udon okonomiyaki and added some rice cakes too it. They have a separate vegetarian menu, vegan options also available. It was really tastey and they had a special vegetable sauce for vegetarians also. Staff also very lovely and you get to see the chefs cook it!

We were really lucky as after we arrived a huge line formed out the front - it's obviously hugely popular - so get there early (before 6) to jump the cue or be prepared to wait :)

Delicious and fun. - Edit

We loved our authentic okonimiyaki experience here. The wait staff were helpful and efficient, there was a big line but we got through quickly and the wait was worth it. Watching them cook each pancake was fun and kept the kids occupied. Then they serve them onto your own hot plate at the table and you can share or eat your own pancake. They made a huge effort to ensure we didn't get any meat or fish, right down to the sauce over the top, which we really appreciated. The noodle and cabbage pancake was super yum, even our fussy 10 year old loved his. Will be going back while we are here in Hiroshima.

Pros: Easy to find, close to Peace Park.

5 stars - Edit

This okonomiyaki place is fantastic as suggested by the queues outside. Definitely join it! The food is great and the staff friendly. Lots of choice for veggies and non veggies alike. Shame happy cow doesn't let me give 5 stars just because it's not exclusively veggie. A must for your visit to Hiroshima.

Loved it! - Edit

Okonomiyaki!!! There are a few vegetarian and vegan options here. I went for the vegetarian one while my partner went for the vegan one. Both good. Staff brought over a vegetarian sauce for us. Oh, and this is a no smoking joint, huge plus!!

Pros: Good food, Polite staff

Delicious and safe for vegetarians - Edit

I am always reluctant to eat at restaurants in Japan that are not vegetarian because of the use of fish stock and lard in everything. However, this restaurant is excellent when it comes to vegetarian customers. The vegetarian menu is in English and clearly sets out the process to order your meal to be either vegetarian or vegan with A, B, C and D so that there is no confusion with wait staff communication.
Another issue that I have with meat restaurants is the use of the same grill to cook the vegetarian meal. Fortunately I watched the waitstaff clean the grill. It was spotless. All solids are scraped off and then washed twice until the stainless steel shines.
The food itself was perfect. They even clearly state that the standard sauce has pork products in it and provide a separate sauce that is vegetarian. The sauce is a Japanese style worchstishire sauce but without anchovies. It is a rice flour pancake with noodles, piles of cabbage, garlic and green shallots. Everyone loved them. We are going back for dinner tomorrow.

huge portions - Edit

As art cafe elk was closed on Wednesday for lunch we tried this one instead. There was a bit of a queue outside but the staff already took our orders and we didn't have to wait too long. They have meat, vegetarian and vegan options available and you can see which ingredients they use in which dish. Portions are huge. Recommend this place.

delicious! amazing! - Edit

This was some of the best food we've had during our three weeks in Japan! It was so incredibly delicious! (And HUGE!)

They have a separate menu for vegetarians and vegans, categorized by what you can and can't eat (pork, fish, egg, etc.). They also have a separate sauce that doesn't have any fish sauce in it!

I totally recommend sitting at the counter, where you can watch in awe as they make everyone's food.

There will almost certainly be a line out the door -- join it! You have to eat here!

(Happy Cow won't let me give this 5 stars because it's not a 100% vegetarian restaurant, but it deserves 5!)
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 17, 2015

Pros: separate menu for vegetarians and vegans

Return to Hiroshima Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nagataya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2810 times since Aug 2014.