Mut Mee Restaurant

Contact 66-0-42460717

1111/4 Kaeworawut Rd, Nong Khai, Thailand, 43000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant cafe in tranquil outdoor garden setting in courtyard of Mut Mee guesthouse overlooking the Mekong River. Plenty of vegan/vegetarian options. There is also a main restaurant on moored boat adjacent to guesthouse landing. Has Wi-Fi.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Thai, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by mutmee

not bad - Edit

after a long journey trying to find a good and cheap place to eat vegan (at one place they even put little shrimps in my 'vegan' meal) I finally found this place. its quite nice, has a few vegetarian options and they can make it vegan if you ask for it. the staff spoke English pretty good.

the food was not bad. but not special either. I can recommend it if you just want to eat something.

Mosquito Heaven - Edit

Not a bad place, and certainly a good place to eat if you're staying at the guesthouse (as I was), but I'd say that for a vegan, the menu has some options, but it's very basic. Nothing really that you won't find or at least be able to request in any other Thai restaurant, so I'm not really sure what justification Mut Mee has for being on Happy Cow.

Still, it's comfortable, and a very nice place to sit right on the banks of the Mekong. It's surrounded by trees and plant life, which although pleasant, meant that when I was sitting here in the evenings I was getting feasted on by mosquitoes, and I'm someone that doesn't get bitten often, so be prepared for that. There is no indoor seating area.

Other than that though it's a nice place with basic vegan choices. And considering what little else is available in Nong Khai, you could certainly do worse.

OK - Edit

I ate at the restaurant floating on the river. (There's also one on the riverbank, in a garden, run by the same people). The setting was lovely (floating on the Mekong) and there was a pleasant ambiance with friendly staff. It was nice to see both locals and foreigners there, although it seems to be a place aimed mostly at tourists. The vegetarian section on the menu wasn't huge, but it had a decent number of dishes - traditional Thai curries and stir-fries. The garden restaurant menu is similar but a bit cheaper I think. I had a cashew nut stir fry and fried rice. They brought out fish sauce with the fried rice (in a dish on the side), even though I was very clear about being vegetarian and ordered off the vegetarian section. Well, that isn't an unusual occurrence in Thailand. Together with a fresh coconut, it cost me 215 bat, so not as cheap as some local places, but not unreasonable. Also, in their favour, this was the only restaurant I could find that had veg*n options that was open at night in Nong Kai.

Pros: Open at night, Pleasant setting, Vegetarian section on menu

Cons: Better understanding of vegetarianism needed, More variety of vegetarian dishes needed

Review by Owner - Edit

My name is Julian and I am the owner of Mut Mee Garden Guest House and our restaurant here. I would like to say that we are very sensitive to the needs and choices of different people from around the world. We realise that while many people are vegetarian, that within that choice many people have individual needs and we are ready to tailor our cooking to suit. As our kitchen is open to the public, all are encouraged to walk inside to talk to our cooks, Tia and Man. Moreover you can watch how dishes are prepared. We hope this is of help to those with specific needs.

Return to Nong Khai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mut Mee Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 820 times since Nov 2010.