Loving Hut - QingZhong St

06-2140361

180 QingZhong St, West Central District, Tainan, Taiwan, 700

愛家 is part of vegan restaurant chain inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individually operated. Serves vegan food, desserts, and non-alcoholic beverages. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-8:30pm.

Categories: Vegan, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by +++VeGaNiSaToR+++

Was a bit disappointed - Edit

We ordered the skewers as they have been touted as really good but was a bit disappointed. I expected them to be deep fried or like a barbecue, but instead their texture was rubbery like fake prawns. There was not much flavour to them as well.

We ordered something that said it was a Korean rice cake, but it had no rice what so ever. Instead it was a tomato flavoured stew with vegetables and some glutinous like bits. While it was hearty and pleasant it wasn't very exciting.

I felt like the menu could use some better information as I saw some things that other people ordered that I might of liked but I didn't see them in the descriptions or pictures.

The only drinks seemed to be non alcoholic beer and coffee drinks, no tea or smoothies or hot chocolate, so I didn't order a drink.

I wanted to order the green tea ice cream, but because it was winter they were only serving cakes.

Over all the food was disappointing for the price.

Pros: staff was friendly

Cons: Bit pricey, very limited drinks, could use better and more accurate english menu

pleasantly suprised - Edit

Went there for evening meal, we wanted the sesame noodle, bbq skewers and bibimbap bowl (Taiwanese style) the ordering was the confusing part- the menu is in English but there were 2 prices for each dish which we assumed were small and large but when our order was taken she asked us if we want a b or c- which were individually described with extras, so we selected not really knowing what we were going to get (we now assume that the higher price gets you this option and the lower price is just the main dish) The staff were very friendly, prompt service, the young girl speaks excellent english and the food was good and in huge portions.

Pros: In a city with limited veg/vegan options, english menu

Dessert! - Edit

Although I haven't had a proper meal here yet, it's getting five stars for having the only vegan cheesecake I've found in Tainan. It was frozen, but still tasted lovely and at 65NT was at a good price.

Delicious BBQ Skewers - Edit

Along with the BBQ skewers (a serving of 5, which included vegan prawns, mushrooms, veggie meats, and peppers, plus a sausage on a skewer with tomato sauce), we ate a delicious noodle dish (Sesame Oil Noodles) and finished up with a whippy orange ice cream in a cone.

This is the best Loving Hut we've been to so far in Taiwan and they also offer some really great looking rice dishes, including stone bowl, which we'll be trying on our next visit.

The people running this branch are so friendly and welcoming, and although they don't speak much English, the menu includes English translations. It's not always clear what you'll get, but it's all vegan so not a big concern for us!

Pros: Friendly and welcoming, Lots of choices (BBQ Skewers = yum), Great value for money

Somewhere to eat... - Edit

Having eaten in LH's all over the world, this place is pretty average (but that's just my opinion, I didn't particularly rate the one in Taipei either...).

The menu had lots of things crossed out and only tea/coffee/soymilk or cranberry juice as drink offerings...which isn't the end of the world, but some other options would've been appreciated at dinner.

They speak little english so you just go by the vague english descriptions...I got the basil/pine nut rice(stew?) and it was SO disappointing. Had zero flavour...and zero pine nuts (it was basically just rice!). For the price, I wasn't happy but it was edible.
Second time i got the pumpkin coconut rice stew which was better....mixture of veggies/mock meats but had substance and flavour. My boyfriend got the tomato spaghetti and hated it....it was pasta and sweet n sour sauce with bits of mushroom...I guess asia's take on the dish, haha.

Having said that, with our set meal they gave us brown sugar soymilk (yummy) and a jelly with cream (also yummy). We did try skewers and they were also pretty decent for the price.
I also bought some packet hot chocolate from them- they've got some biscuits and things you can buy too.

Even though this is a part-negative review, we'd still go back there if in the area due to lack of other vegan options!

Yummy Loving Hut - Edit

Had a delicious hot pot here. Nice place, tasty food.
Price: moderate. 330 for my set meal.

Walkable From Bus Station - Edit

Just had a set lunch here. I'm transiting thru Tainan and have my luggage with me. This was walkable from the hsr bus drop, in about 10-15 mins.
I had a coconut pumpkin rice meal for 200nt.... totally full. With each set meal there 3 options. I chose the one with salad, bbq, and dessert. It was alright but I should have asked more questions... lots of mushrooms which I don't like, and hardly any pumpkin.
It's a small, typical loving hut, with Ching Hai playing on 2 tvs. Staff was friendly but spoke only a little English.

Pros: Location, Nice People

equal quality of others LH - Edit

not better or worse than others Loving hut restaurants, a good place in Tainan !

Return to Tainan Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut - QingZhong St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.