Loving Hut

• Vegan
Contact 433629077

Scharnerweg 36, Maastricht, Netherlands, 6224JH

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family operated - this one est. 2013. Serves all vegan food, non-alcoholic drinks, and desserts. May 2016 it's reported to have re-opened. Closes winter months.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Take-out, Asian

First Review by Marcelangelo

Review July 2016: Not impressed - Edit

Price

We visited Loving Hut Maastricht because we still had an all you can eat voucher to use before the end of the month. Normally the all you can eat costs 22 or 27 euros per person but I strongly recommend against going there for an all you can eat (2hrs max). In the time we sat there (1hr 45min) we each ordered a soup, one appetizer, a main course and dessert which together were worth less than the price of a normal all you can eat. We asked if you could order two things at once and the waiter thought this wouldnt be a problem, but they only brought us one at a time. I think to stretch time so people won't order too much because when we ordered dessert we barely had to wait for it.

Food (per dish)

Soups
Noodle soup with vegtables: Allright but nothing spectacular.
Wanton soup: The broth was nice (I think miso) but the filling of the dumplings tasted a bit greasy and like it was supposed to be a filling for spring rolls. I never had wanton soup before though, so not sure if it's normal or not.

Appetizers
Spring rolls: Fine but nothing special
Boa boa: The steamed bun was cooked right but I personally didn't like the seaweed filling while I do love nori. The menu said it had a vegetable filling, which seaweed is obviously but I just didn't expect seafood.

Main dishes
Baked tempeh with vegtables in miso and hoisinsauce: Tasted good for the first couple of bites but I found it very greasy and hard to finish my plate. The bami (noodles) they served with it was nice though.
Babi pangang (roasted pork in sweet & chilli sauce): The veggie pork steak was nice but it was a very small portion, like the size of one burger you'd get in a supermarket. A lot less than the tempeh dish. The nasi they served it with was okay but nothing special, not what you expect from a normal chinese restaurant. Underseasoned and it was minute rice instead of the usual rice you'd expect. Not a lot of vegtables mixed through either the bami or the nasi we had with the main courses.

Dessert:
We both ordered chocolate mousse but it was far from a mousse, not even a pudding. It tasted like you were eating plain chocolate paste like the one you should put on bread. It wasnt bad for chocolate paste but far from what we expected.

Service
The waiters were both really nice but I noticed later on that they made us pay more than the drinks we had (not included in the all you can eat) were worth. I definitely encourage every vegan initiative so still 2 stars.

Pros: Its a vegan place

A 'Human' Restaurant - Edit

Loving Hut has a great variety when it comes to the menu, and the whole atmosphere is really relaxed and 'unorganized' – so take your time, it might take a while. It is difficult to put the food itself into a certain category, because of the mixed variety and different quality of certain dishes. I certainly have enjoyed the sushi and tempeh!

I have been at the Loving Hut several times hanging around and drinking freshly squeezed juice whilst my friends have had their workshifts, and the last time I had a 5-course meal with a friend of mine – it was a special offer for €14, and we enjoyed it a lot. I think the company played a great role, because the food itself was not that mind-blowing. You could choose all the different courses, which was fun. I had a bowl of corn soup that was blend and just uninspiring, followed by the conventional spring rolls with chili dip. Then a platter of mixed sushi followed, which was really nice! I had not had sushi in a while, so I really enjoyed this one – one with olives (?? Good!), avocado (surprising and tasty), cucumber, pickled carrot (???), and one with vegan 'fish'. The main was fried noodles with tempeh, and dessert was soy icecream. A good deal in good company.

Pros: Inexpensive menu with great variety, Nice staff

Cons: Distant location, Shabby, messy, unorganized, Greezy, uninteresting food

Tasty, but not comfy - Edit

As I had visited the Loving Hut in Brighton before and liked it, I was curious to visit the one in Maastricht when I travelled to this city. But the experience was very different! This was not a relaxed, small place, but rather like a traditional Chinese restaurant. What I did not like was that I could not choose my table, but was seated in a corner quite separate from the rest of the room - although I was the first customer and during my dinner only a few other people arrived!

I chose a veggie rice dish and liked it very much, it was really delicious. However, I was bit disappointed of the menu because it relied heavily on fake meat - again, it was like a traditional Chinese restaurant menu, just with all the meat replaced by fake meat. This is not my idea of a modern vegan restaurant!

Service was friendly, but I had to wait really long to pay my bill, which I found unpleasant, especially as it was not crowded at all.

All in all, the food was good, but apart from that it was rather a disappointing experience and I have visited many vegan restaurants that were much better.

Pros: Tasty food

Cons: Not comfortable, Slow service although not crowded

Loving Hut Maastricht, the 10th of January 2014 - Edit

The place was easy to find by car, not very far from the central station of Maastricht. It had a Asian vibe, but could have been a lot cosier in our opinion. There were a lot of options on the menu, which can be good or can be bad. The host was friendly though, and the dishes were served in a perfect pace; not too slow, not too fast. The music was ok, Chinese music we never heard before ;-)

We had tea the entire meal.
1. Our first course was soup. I ordered the spicy and sour soup, the rest had lentil soup. The portion size was small/medium and we all liked what we ordered.
2. Our second course was not something we could choose ourselves; it were 5 Vietnamese spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce. Very nice as always, but there was very little sauce. The portion size was again small/medium.
3. Then it was time for the main course. I forgot what our dishes were called, but we tried from each other. Everything was of course plant based, but our dishes did not taste alike. There was also tempeh, tofu, fake chicken, fake duck, fake shrimps and fake pork in there, which made everything even more interesting. I noticed soy sauce and sateh sauce in the dishes as well, two of my favourites! All dishes were served with white rice. The portion size was medium.
4. Our fourth course was desert, which was either soy ice cream or chocolate mousse. One of our dinner guests asked if it was possible to get 50/50. This was not possible, kind of weird. I had the ice cream, the rest had the mousse. The dish size was small.
5. Our last course coffee/something else to drink. 2 of us had tea, 1 of us had coffee and the fourth person skipped this course.

It was a nice experience, especially if you are looking for a vegan Asian place. It is something completely different from your average vegan restaurant where there is usually a completely different atmosphere. The atmosphere at Loving Hut Maastricht is more of an Asian place than something else.

Food: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Decor: 6/10
Cost: 8/10
Vegan-friendly: 10/10
Vegan bodybuilder-friendly: 8/10

Pros: Food, Service, All vegan

Cons: Decor

Nice place, good food - Edit

A nice place with a surprisingly huge menu within walking distance from the central station.

So far I have been here only once, but I hope to get back some day to try more of their food.

I had a wonton soup as a starter which I personally did not like too much since the wontons were very soft, or rather even disintegrating and had no distinct taste. I also shared some mini spring rolls with a friend, those were nice and the sauce was delicious. As main course I had tempeh with vegetables, it was good although it had quite an overload of tempeh and not so many vegetables - as a vegetable fan my personal preference would have been the other way round...

My friend had a selection of satay with peanut sauce, "babi panggang" and stir-fried vegetables with tofu which was all very good. The portions were big and when the waiter noticed we won't make it all he brought us doggie bags which was quite nice. We also had yummy freshly made melon juice and a wonderful "dame blanche" (ice cream with chocolate sauce and whipped cream) as dessert, of course all-vegan.

The service was very nice and helpful.

Pros: good food, friendly service, huge variety

Been here many times - Edit

I read the other reviews first and they are true. The loving hut in Maastricht used to be an ordinary chinese restaurant(previous owner), and the atmosphere in this place when you look at the walls and tables and lighting... it is not that cozy.

There are some vegan messages on the walls and Dr Neal Barnard is also on there. In the entrance there are many leaflets. From all kinds of animal related issues, and yes also the Supreme master. The Loving Hut is related to that Supreme Master, so I would recommend to just look through it. She is someone who also spreads the vegan message, so I have no problem with that.

The staff is very friendly. Very nice people. Only the head waiter speaks dutch. Other staff speak only english.

The menu is pretty varied. Lots to choose from. I've been there several times with non vegans, and they all liked it.

It is mostly chinese food, so if you are vegan and you like chinese food. Give Loving Hut in Maastricht a visit.

Pros: Good prices and nice staff, Extra rice/nasi/bami is free of charge, Wonderful sate and Babi pangang

Cons: Not enough variety in tastes., Not so cozy atmosphere, Too much oil

Awesome Chinese Food! - Edit

Lovely place, extremely kind staff and delicious Chinese vegan food. Start with a fresh fresh melon juice, try dumplings soup and the sweet and sour veggie-pork, their sweet and sour sauce is just the best!

Pros: delicious, inexpensive, very friendly

Great variety of foods - Edit

Loving Hut Maastricht has many dishes that you don't see very often. They use fake chicken, fake eel, fake shrimp and many other interesting ingredients. Also the vegetables and noodles were good.

This restaurant makes it worth traveling to Maastricht even from distances.

Pros: large variety of dishes, cool fakemeats, fresh juices

Cons: atmosphere was kind of healthy

Nice restaurant - Edit

We had some good Fried Noodles and Fried Rice, but the sauces were very sour. I ordered Babi Pankang, and I am aware of the fact that this is a sour-sweet sauce, but the obvious lemon taste was too strong and ruined the dish. I scraped all of the sauce and used a lot of noodles and actually enjoyed my diner very much (the noodles are excellent!), but I would usually use a lot of sauce. The same goed for the sate my girlfriend ordered. The veggies and chicken were very good, but there was such a strong lemon flavor in the sauce that we had to eat around it. We told the waiter, so I hope they change the recipe.

Overall: great appitizer (dumpling), great fresh juices, great fried rice and noodles, great veggies, but bad sauces.

Pros: Price, Veggies, Meat imitators

Cons: Sauce tasted like lemons

Happy with Loving Hut - Edit

Having visited a number of Loving Hut restaurants before I was happy, that a Loving Hut was opened in my own country, The Netherlands. So, though Maastricht is not close to where I live, I dicided to make a trip to Maastricht to have a dinner at Loving Hut. The restaurant is not in the city centre, but from the station you can walk to it in about 15 minutes. The restaurant is quite big, the decor is decent and pleasant. The menu is quite extensive. Mostly Asian food, but you have also other options. As it is difficult to choose we took the daily menu, which was a good choise. Can recommend the place. Staff is correct, we liked the food, and the prices are reasonable.

Not really loving it - Edit

When we went out for dinner last evening, we were hoping to see a Loving Hut like the one in Leuven, Belgium (trendy, bright, really good food,...). It turned out completely different.

This Loving Hut-restaurant basically is a Chinese restaurant. The dishes are all vegan and all, but the names made us hesitate a bit: veggie duck? veggie shrimp?. If there's seitan in the dish, call it seitan! Not veggie duck.

The cook really used a lot! of oil on each dish (each dish: also the bowls of nasi and bami). I don't know if that's common for Chinese cuisine, but we didn't appreciate it that much. It was also apparant that the two main courses we ordered originated from the same base dish: they shared most of the same vegetables, the sauce, and - more importantly - they shared the taste: kind of sweet, not really seasoned, except for the MSG probably. We were hoping for something spicey here, something sweet there,... we ended up with something that tasted the same all over.

I'll be balancing out this negative review by reviewing the Loving Hut in Leuven the next time we are in the neighbourhood, because the food over there is great.

Pros: Cheap, Large portions, Lots of dishes

Cons: Dishes tasted the same

Loving Hut - Edit

i thought the food wasn't too great. They have a lot of things on the menu, which are not expensive at all, but i had a pizza, which reminded me of cheap pizza's from the supermarket.
The place itself looks pretty nice and it's pretty calm in there (which was also a bit strange... when i came in there were 3 people watching at me from behind the counter......hmm)
Also, i didn't really appreciate the supreme master ching-hai overdose and i also don't care about the fact that jesus was a vegan.
[edited by staff - see tos]

Pros: good value, quiet

Cons: ching-hai propaganda, strange atmosphere

Vegan Restaurant Loving Hut, Maastricht - Edit

Wooohooo:D At last I can dine out and eat 100% animal-free/cruelty-free food! This place is our 1st Vegan resto in Holland. I was there last week and me and my friend agreed that the food = super deeeelishhh :D

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Real Loving Food - Edit

Have been there with two friends, we took 3 main dishes and shared it all, which was a great experience in vegan food !
So many choices on the menu list, that is was even a hard thing to choose. Normally your lucky with one or two dishes being vegan, and now; about,,,, 20 starters, 50 maindishes and several deserts, WOW ! We "ate it all", they are so nice and it was sot tasty. I say ; Try before you die !
Taste the loving atmoshere, incredible and unlike your used to.

Pros: Excellent food, Biological, friendly

Return to Maastricht Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12632 times since Apr 2012.