Little River

Contact 03-99730473

208 Albion St (at Sydney Rd), Brunswick, Victoria, 3056

Small vegetarian cafe serving all-day breakfast, sandwiches, wraps, and salads, as well as hot and cold drinks. Most menu items can be veganized. Opened November 2014. Open Mon-Fri 6:30am-4:00pm, Sat-Sun 7:30am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American

First Review by beancurdled

it's pretty good - Edit

I had the vegan little river breakfast, which I really enjoyed. The veggie sausage and beans were my favourite parts. The only downfall was the bland tofu, which came cubed. I guess it's okay if that's their thing but I much prefer the crumbled scramble style. But yeah, not really any flavour and I can't forgive for that one. PEOPLE, stop giving tofu a bad name!!!

Friend had the vegan breakfast wrap and loved the cheese in it. Satisfied overall. The coffee is okay. But I could have done without the vegan iced coffee I ordered. Tasted like it was made with So Good ice cream, the one you find at Coles. And with all the amazing vegan ice creams on the market it's a shame they use the worst.

Pros: vegan cheese and veggie sausage

Cons: bland tofu and yucky soy ice cream

Not a great first impression - Edit

Looking for a vegan-friendly cafe in Melbourne that I hadn't tried I found Little River on HC, checked out their website and noticed vegan corn fritters in the menu, so had to go and try them. The space was nice enough and the staff friendly. As my companion ordered the corn fritter plate, I thought I'd try the vege burger. I made a point of asking whether they'd remove ingredients to make it vegan and still charge the full price of $16 and was happy to hear that it came with vegan mayo and (substituted) vegan cheese. It was substantial and not bad, if a little on the sweet side. The patty, which appeared to be lentil, was a bit squishy. Less substantial, and substantially less satisfying for $16 were the corn 'fritters', which actually weren't fritters at all but simply corn, possibly fried, in individual kernels, with none of the satisfaction of biting into a fritter. There are a good number of vegan items on the menu and I'd come back to try others, but the first impression disappointing.

Pros: Decent-sized vege burger

Cons: Corn fritters just corn not fritters

Nice addition to the neighbourhood - Edit

I have tried this place twice now. Yet to try the coffee cup their iced tea is lovely on a hit day. Between my partner and I, we have tried the corn fritters, big breakfast and the breakfast wrap. All pretty tasty and reasonably priced. My only gripe was the vegan option for the big breakfast was a scrambled Tofu which had potatoes in it. Given my plate already had saffron potatoes I was a bit potatoed out.

Staff have also been really friendly. The last time I went they offered a slice of watermelon while I waited for my food which was a nice touch on a hot day.

Pros: Food, Prices

yet to impress - Edit

I had high hopes when this veg cafe opened just a few blocks from my house. Not that there's a shortage of veg food around but of course it's nice to support a meat free business, especially in your neighbourhood.

On my first visit, I dropped in for a takeaway coffee while waiting for the train. It was a Monday morning and after their busy, opening weekend they'd run out of soy milk. They offered almond milk but instead of any of the delicious, locally made ones, they used Australia's Own. I find their "milks" taste a bit shitty. So I went next door for my takeaway. I found it a bit surprising that they hadn't ordered enough soy, especially since they use Bonsoy which is long life so there's no excuse not to stockpile if you run any cafe in Brunswick, let alone a veg*n one. But I'll forgive them a few teething problems.

Next time I popped in for a takeaway coffee and was tempted by their cabinet of sweet treats. They stock vegan slices from a local bakery called The Compassionate Kitchen which I'd never come across before so was eager to try. I was excited by the caramel pecan slice even though it looked a bit dry and crumbly. The coffee was pretty disappointing. It was weak and milky. And the slice was as dry and crumbly as it looked. The caramel topping was a nice, smooth consistency. There was only a smattering of pecans across the top. The biscuit base was pretty horrible though and made up more than 3/4 of the slice. It was soft, crumbly and pretty much entirely tasteless - like a stale, slightly soggy shortbread.

I went in again for brunch with a friend on the weekend and am happy to report my experience was better this time. They do vegan milkshakes and the vanilla one with a shot of coffee my friend got hit the spot. My coffee was below average again - bitter, no oomph. The breakfast menu is limited and consists of the usual suspects - a big brekkie, a breakfast wrap (very similar to big brekkie but presented differently), a muesli or something (I dunno, I don't really care for sweet breakfasts so didn't really look). There's a bunch of standard offerings to be reheated in a refrigerated cabinet too - lasagna, frittata, panini. All pretty uninspiring. We both went for the big breakfast for $16 and it was big, as promised, and tasty. Seems like they replace eggs with scrambled tofu when they veganise a menu item which is a good sub, I reckon. There were potatoes, beans, mushies, grilled tomato, spinach, guac, salsa, and toast. All a bit salty and oily. Would really hit the spot as a hangover breakfast and takes you back to a time before brunch got fancy. Personally, I like fancy brunch and am a bit disappointed in Little River's uncreative offering. But it is what it is. I wonder how long it'll get away with it in Brunswick. I'd go back for a milkshake on a hot day but won't become a regular.

If HC did half stars, I'd give it 2 1/2 coz 2 seems a bit mean when I did enjoy the breakfast but I can't really justify giving it 3.

Pros: vegan milkshakes

Cons: uncreative, limited menu, inconsistent coffee

Return to Brunswick Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Little River closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2042 times.