Langkawi Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 012-4864999

72, Jalan Pandak Mayah 7, Pusat Bandar Kuah, Langkawi, Malaysia, 07000

Pay as you wish, donation basis Buddhist vegetarian restaurant. Has rice, porridge, and noodle soups. Opens if 1st and 15th of Chinese lunar calendar fall on Friday. Open Mon-Thu 8:00am-2:30pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-2:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Buffet, Malaysian

First Review by walter007

great - Edit

Have been there a few months ago, love that it's donation based and that all of it goes to charity. Also really liked the atmosphere with all the books. There is quite some stuff to choose from and they seem to frequently cook new dishes... The taste was okay, had definitely better food and as it is buffet style the food is cold, but then again it's awesome not having to worry what is in your food as it is all vegan.
All in all I would definitely recommend this place!

Pros: donation based, everything's vegan

Cons: food is cold

empty buffet, simple food - Edit

"self service, pay as you wish"
donations will go to charity. I respect that and I encourage these types of initiatives.

Cons: unfortunately the buffet was empty. very simple f

Wonderful vegan place in the centre of town - Edit

A big thanks to both Happy Cow and Walter007 for spotting this place - Imagine my surprise when the lady in Reception told me the vegetarian restaurant was the green door opposite the hotel!

The food is freshly made and very tasty - I loved the greens with big chunks of ginger, and the thin noodles with the big mushrooms. On my last day, there was a tray tofu chunks in a spicy carrot and peanut sauce - I couldn't get enough of it!

There are plenty of options available, and seem to have a couple of different new things rotated each day. There is always rice, and I saw a brown or vegetable rice, too, along with a soup. There was a sign mentioning bread, but I didn't see any.

I noticed several customers filling tiffins to take with them, so I decided to buy a small box and took some noodles as a snack for later in the day. This was a lifesaver, as vegetarian/vegan options in Kuah and on the whole of Langkawi are limited, especially for those of us who prefer not to go to places where meat is cooked and served.

On my final day in Langkawi, I told the lady I was leaving on the ferry and would like to take my container with some food for the trip, and she gestured she was fine with that, too.

Payment is by donation, and I usually gave the same as I would if I was eating out at any other place, plus more if I was taking a container with me (so it averaged between 6-10 RM, which was MORE than worth it for this wonderful place). To be honest, you can put what you want into the donation box and no one will judge you.

Finally, you have to take your dishes out to the back, wash them yourself and place them on the drying rack, which I thought was a great added touch to eating here, and I had no problem with it. It gave me a chance to say thanks to the ladies in the kitchen, too.

All in all, a real find on Langkawi and made staying in Kuah worthwhile...

Pros: Fresh, tasty, many options, friendly and clean, Eat in and/or take out

Cons: closes at 14:00

Gem in Langkawi - Edit

This is the second vegan cafe that received a 5 star rating from me.

It is not as convenient to get veg* food in Langkawi as in Penang or KL.

So to get a vegan restaurant in Langkawi is like something you never would think of.

First there is no info at all in the net (now, yes thanks to Happy Cow) and to locate the shop is a bit difficult as it is not at the main road.

But once you've found it, you will be thrilled. The buffet style offer various types of vegan food (rice and noodle soups) and beverages like coffee and soya bean (homemade).

The staff are helpful and friendly. If you are there and they have run our of food, they will specially make one like a fried rice to cater for your need.

It has opened for almost 10 years already and it is still sustaining well as the veg* population in Langkawi is small and it is on donation basis.

That speaks for everything :)

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice vibe

Return to Langkawi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Langkawi Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1832 times since Jul 2014.