Kokob

Contact 025111950

10 rue des Grands Carmes, Brussels, Belgium, 1000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian food in the centre of Brussels. Warmly lit interior. The vegetable dishes are dairy-free except for the cheese accompanying the salad. Note that kitchen closes 60-90 minutes before closing each night. Open Mon-Wed 6:30pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Fri-Sun 6:30pm-11:00pm.

Category: Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by lisa700

Randomly found, absolutly not dispointey - Edit

Found randonmly, and not diapointed. There is a great choice of vegan meal. The dishes are tasty, spicy but not too much. Every dish is served with white cheese but if you're asking for vegan option you can have lentil salad instead.

Pros: Lot of vegan options, Pleasant staff

Beautiful food and ambience - but watch out for food getting mixed! - Edit

Found this restaurant on Happy Cow, I'm vegan my friend isn't. It was such a lovely restaurant, lovely ambience and a wonderful vegetarian menu options. The menu also stated that all vegetarian dishes were dairy free.

Beware, that when the food comes out the waiter will serve all the dishes onto one big plate - this include cheese and the meat dishes. I asked for no cheese on my "side" of the plate, which he did, but then picked up my vegan dish and put it next to/touching the cheese! We also managed to ask for the chicken to be on one side of the plate.

As it is tradition to feed the first bite, the waiter dipped some chicken into my vegan option and fed my friend before we could stop him!!

It was a communication issue really, but meant most of my meal was "contaminated". I ordered an extra dish as I couldn't eat most my meal! Again he insisted on "sharing" and dotted most of the lentils across the meat and cheese, but I managed to save enough!

All this said, the food was gorgeous. I had an aubergine dish, spicy potatoes and tomato lentils.

Highly recommend but be aware!!!

Pros: vegetarian options , tasty food, ambience

Cons: contaminated food, lack of "vegan" understanding

discovery menu - Edit

If you don't like the sour taste of the injera (thin pancake), this restaurant is not for you. If, like me, you do, then you'll find it's very nice. Take a discovery menu to get a variety of different dips and toppings. And eating with your hands is such fun :-)

second best ethiopian place? - Edit

The place is lovely, but: avoid going there with non veg people who would order meat, since all the food is put on one big plate... Or try asking your own plate, but then, it's not at all the idea of an ethiopian meal... No, the more I think of it, the best option is to convince your friends to order vegan dishes.

Pros: yummy food, nice deco, central location

Cons: non veg

delicious food & coffee, friendly staff - Edit

We had the Addis Ababa menu (starter, 3 meat and 3 veg dish) but asked for it to be vegetarian. They were happy to do that. The waitress was very helpful in explaining the dishes and how to eat the dishes according to Ethiopian customs.

Our bulgur wheat appetiser was amazing - we never thought bulgur wheat could taste that good! The main meal was fantastic - tasty and very filling. And I can normally eat a huge amount. A special mention for the injera. It is similar to soured breads in south and south east Asia. This is much more springy and tastes just as good!

Dessert was ice cream (passion fruit and mandarin) and my partner had chocolate cake. The ice cream was very well made. The tartness was well balanced. We ended up fighting over the last bit of cake. Moist, light and fluffy with the right amount of sweet and bitterness.

Coffee was stupendously good - and I am particular about my coffee! There was also mocktails that were not too sweet. We haven't come across many establishments in Brussels that offered mocktails - very important when an alcohol lover is teetotal.

Pros: Good quality food & drink, Good atmosphere, Large portions

Cons: Must reserve table as is very busy

Unusual restaurant, with excellent food. - Edit

We loved this restaurant, when we visited in June 2014. There's plenty of choice vegetarians, and vegans. Unfortunately, no vegan deserts except the usual offer of a fruit salad.

The food was excellent, and I'd definitely recommend the "Discovery Menu", which is served with a huge sourdough pancake, onto which piles of various dishes are placed. You're also given rolls of pancake, with which to scoop up your next chosen mouthful. Cutlery is provided for the less adventurous.

The Discovery Menu usually has some meat dishes, but they'll do all veggie if you wish. Say if you want vegan, because one of the dishes is rice with cheese: you'll be given a vegan alternative.

The restaurant has a buzzing atmosphere, and it's advisable to book ahead, though we were squeezed in on a Saturday evening even though we hadn't booked.

The menu is printed with English translations, and the staff generally speak good English.

Pros: Excellent food, Unusual style, Excellent atmosphere

Cons: No vegan deserts.

Brussels favourite - Edit

Kokob was a great find - very nice atmosphere, fantastic food and good prices for Brussels standards. All dishes are dairy free and there is no egg in the savory dishes, so vegatarian = vegan. There is a large selection of veg* dishes that can be ordered with injera (ethopian sourdough bread). They come with a side salad (if vegan you can omit the cheese).
Highly recommended!!

Pros: delicious food, good value, large vegan selection

Cons: NONE

Return to Brussels Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kokob closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3715 times since Mar 2014.