Inn of the Seventh Ray

Contact 310-455-1311

128 Old Topanga Canyon Rd, Topanga, California, USA, 90290

Serves meat, vegan options available. Rustic canyon setting. Offers daily lunch and dinner a la carte menu that includes some vegetarian options in soup, salads, main entrees. Vegan desserts available. A large brunch spread is offered on Sunday, and it includes many vegetarian and some vegan dishes, plus an assortment of desserts. Reservation recommended on weekend. Mon-Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon-Sun 5:30pm-10:00pm, Sat 10:30am-3:00pm, Sun 9:30am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Gourmet, Non-veg

First Review by eatnhigh

Extremely overpriced and not truly vegan - Edit

Don't let the fancy decor fool you. Paid $65 for one meal! you can hardly see anything at night there either. We waited 30 mins before anyone even acknowledged us to ask for drinks. I noticed the vegan meal had honey in it on the menu. I asked the waiter why the vegan meal has honey in it. He said the chef wasn't very informed on what vegan means because he's French. Uhh, that's comforting to know that you're labeling things as vegan when it's not o_O. He also said well ya know, there's strict vegan and light vegan. Uhh no, when you're vegan you're vegan. A "light vegan" would be a vegetarian. Anyway, the food took forever and every course was cold. I don't recommend this place at all. Save some major money and get some better food somewhere else.

Pros: None

Cons: Everything

Still My Favorite - Edit

Not easy-easy for vegans, but great service makes it work. Veg food is plant based, not fake meat (which I don't care for). Fantastic setting.

Pros: Setting, Mellow Vibe, Romantic potential

Cons: Tough On Vegans...but do-able

Rustic Outdoor Canyon Setting - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and have eaten here on two occasions. Here's my Inn of the Seventh Ray review.

Our most recent visit was after a hike in the nearby Topanga Canyon State Park. Our party headed over to the restaurant for lunch. Parking is limited on weekends, so we paid for valet parking.

To our surprise, the a la carte menu was also limited due to it being a Sunday and there was a set brunch buffet - many choices including vegetarian & vegan options. It would have cost around $30 per person for the buffet spread, and more if to include some meats. We opted to order veggie omelettes and salads (1 papaya, 1 endives) a la carte.

The restaurant was busy at the time which made the service painfully slow. We sat and waited for a long while before the waitstaff brought our food.

In any case, we enjoyed our lunch and the serene outdoor greenery despite the slow service. If I could afford to eat here more often, I reckon I would.

Pros: lovely nature atmosphere, great baked goods

Cons: service can be slow, not many vegan choices, expensive

Wonderful Brunch - Edit

The only reason to visit here is for vegans is the Sunday brunch. Everything is vegan except if you pay $5 more you can eat dead stuff from the ocean. Otherwise you are in for a treat of raw-liciousness of about 8 salads and veggies dishes (i.e. beet salad, asparagus salad, etc) The desserts are lovely--our fave were these pumpkin scones--to die for good--I have to admit we even took some home with us in our purse--yea, they're THAT good. While dining outside in the lovely setting a tiny frog landed on our table, he was so cute, he looked at us and then happily hopped away. Only bad thing is in summer there are A LOT of bees.

Pros: Lots of raw options, Beautiful setting, healthy

Cons: Valet, A bit of a wait to be seated, Bees in summer

A Beautiful Environment - Edit

Inn of the Seventh Ray in Topanga Canyon has the most lovely setting of any restaurant I've been. It is situated in the mountains, alongside a creek where squirrels and birds play. Guests dine in the outdoor patio surrounded by oak trees and greens.

I came here for lunch with 2 friends in March 2008. The menu consisted of a vegan soup, a raw soup, a variety of salads, and main courses which included 2-3 vegetarian dishes - though the seitan sandwich was not available that day. We shared the cauliflower cashew soup (small portion, average taste), the house salad (plain but tasty dressing), a couscous with olives and tangerine slices dish (very good), and a seaweed and brown rice dish (okay but a bit salty).

Overall the food was average and on the expensive side. But the atmosphere was incredibly beautiful.

not very vegan kudos BUT... - Edit

I agree with all these reviews. This place is not vegan friendly any more. I had some vegan duck that was like eating a tire... HOWEVER the setting is so peaceful and its a little bit of an adventure to get up there. The hostest was seating people who arrived after us before us because she forgot we existed. Its just one of those places that if you feel like going to an EXTREMELY ROMANTIC place and eating so so food with slow service its worth it. :)

Pros: romantic

Cons: little vegan food, slow

Not very vegan - Edit

I agree with the other reviews that this place only gives lip service to it's holistic claims. Lots of meat (compared to a 'lean cuisine' microwave meal by my wife). My vegan 'duck' was poor and when I asked for a side of something starchy to go with my pile of gluten, I was given cous cous with butter, despite asking three times for something vegan. When I rejected the entire dish it wasn't taken off the bill. The management claimed they get it right 99% of the time but didn't apologize or seem to care. I've had much better vegan food at places that don't make a big song and dance about it and better customer service at a fast food chain.

Pros: Setting

Cons: Food, Service, Care

A lot of meat in the kitchen - Edit

The restaurant has a good salad but very pricey . I over heard the owner yelling at the staff several times which made my meal there a bit uncomfortable . For a place that claims to be spiritual they have a long way to go to accomplished there goal.They say they serve raw and organic food with a vegan menu , but the kitchen is full of dead animals. The lighting is very poor so its hard to see at night. Go if you must, otherwise up the street to froggys is a good choice .

Pros: salad

Cons: poor lighting, meat

Return to Topanga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Inn of the Seventh Ray closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2290 times since Aug 2007.