First Review by Greysocialist

Sadly, First Out is closing permanently, as of tomorrow, 29 Oct 2011. The landlord tried to raise the rent too high. It will prolly be taken over by some chain, like so many other places in London. :( First Out was the first and only veggie cafe in London with a majority gay/lesbian clientele. There is no replacement for this.

Cons: closed

Lucky surprise! - Edit

I happened upon this local when looking for a place to eat. The words 'Vegetarian Menu' caught my eye. My lucky day. They had a few vegan items on the menu. My mother had the Falafel which was fantastic. I got lucky and she shared a little bit with me. The flavors were amazing with a nice size portion that had sprouts and a wonderful salsa and flavorful hummus also. I had the fresh tomato rosemary soup which was soo good! They served that with large chunks of fresh multigrain bread. It made me wish I lived next door. Congrats to the chef.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Nice portion size

Pleasant café right smack in the middle of town - Edit

Had lunch with a friend here today. They only had a few vegan options, but it was enough. The staff were friendly and the place was clean. This is a good place to escape to in the middle of the day, they do a nice selection of teas too.

Pros: Central, friendly, easy to find

Cons: not enough Vg items

Nice place - Edit

I went to this place for lunch with my girlfriend, and first of all: we were very welcome there. Definately not a gay-exclusive cafe.

The food was nothing special, but quite nice. My girlfriend has a slice of quiche, which came with a choice of three salads (out of about eight). I had a jacket potato, which -refreshingly- wasn't served with any sauce, but with some cheese strips and sunflower seeds (one of three options). Very nice.

We didn't have anything else there, but there was a wide drink selection (mostly cocktails and such), and the desserts looked good too.

The price was very reasonable, especially considering the location.

All in all, a nice place for a nice bite.

Pros: decent food, decent price

Cons: staff was a bit sullen

fun place - Edit

Liked this place a lot. My boyfriend and I went here because it was one of the few places in the area open on sunday night. There were mostly women there, and it is a gay/lesbian establishment, but we felt totally comfortable and welcome eating there. Food was very good, good menu size. Very casual, deli/cafe feel, with a bar downstairs.

Pros: food, service

Cons: a little overpriced

Handy, pretty decent cafe - Edit

Near Tottenham Crt Rd tube station, behind Charing Cross Rd - on the other side to the side with Soho Sq.
The counter is on ground level as you walk in, there is seating on this level too. There is a downstairs area too. I haven't been down there, it may be a bar. There seating toward the back, near the counter is a bit dark. You need brighter to read.
Other diners were predominantly couples and some small groups. It had an open vibe - no outsider vibe if you're straight.

The menu is cafe fair with things such as soups and salads. There are some good looking cakes in the counter.
I had soup with bread and salad. The soup and bread were alright. The salad from the counter was quite good.

Service was pleasant enough.

Value fine at around ₤6 for the above.

This is a pretty strong four for now for me.

Pros: Handy location, relaxed

great stuff - Edit

I've been going to First Out for years (since I was first out probably) and it's a lovely place. Slightly hidden away so you almost have to know it's there to find it. Could do with a bit more vegan food on the menu, especially in the cake department. Just cos you're vegan doesn't mean you don't have a sweet tooth. (It's the same on a flight, why do the vegans always get something really boring for dessert?). Lovely atmosphere, friendly people, all good.

Pros: Great food, Friendly, okay price

Substantial, healthy, good value - Edit

A great and varied menu, with some excellent value options (try the soup and salad) - and some delicious cakes. It's really central, perfect for a light or a substantial lunch, licensed and lively. It becomes a gay bar in the evenings, and is somewhere to collect the gay what's on papers, but you will get a friendly welcome from the staff whether you are straight or gay. The clientele are very varied in age, too, and it has a very open atmosphere.

Pros: value for money, couldn't be more central, welcoming

Cons: some cramped tables

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: First Out Cafe-Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 688 times since Apr 2008.