First Review by Tatiana

Excellent Chinese Food For Vegans - Edit

This restaurant probably has some of the most realistic and delicious vegan dishes I've ever had. Prices are pretty good for what you actually get. Every meal provides a decent portion of food. My wife and I often have to get to go boxes because we can never finish the meals we ordered.

If you're vegan, many of the vegetarian dishes will have you wondering or even asking the staff if it really is vegan. But be assured that it is. The staff is very knowledgeable when it comes to serving those on a vegan diet. The only things you have to specifically ask them to not bring you is the fortune cookie (which is not vegan.) And I would be careful about some of the sauces that come with a few of the vegan dishes. We received a sauce that tasted like it might have been worcestershire sauce. Great service. Very friendly. You don't typically have to worry about order mistakes here if you're vegan. They even will inform you if something has egg in it if you are ordering off their vegetarian menu. The menu says vegetarian, but most of everything you see on the vegetarian menu is vegan. If it is not, the staff will tell you.

Some recommendations from my wife and I. These are some of the best dishes we've had. We haven't tried them all but we've tried many of the vegetarian menu dishes.

- Vegetarian Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Vegetarian Twice Cooked Pork
- Any of the Vegetarian Beef is good.
- Vegetarian Spicy Tofu.

For the most part, you'll just have to do trial and error to find the dishes you like and which ones you don't like but almost all the dishes are delicious. Even though the menu items are called pork, beef, chicken, prawns, or fish, these are not actually the actual thing when you refer to them as the vegetarian options. Some of the soups do have egg in them however.

This place should definitely be on any vegan's list of favorite places to eat if you're in the area.
Updated from previous review on Friday December 21, 2012

Pros: Food Quality, Price, Amount of food.

Cons: Other customers that laugh at vegan menu, Not open in morning

Faux meat just tastes bad - Edit

I've given Ding How's vegetarian menu a couple of tries. The offerings that don't have faux meat are mediocre greasy Chinese, but at least they're veg. When we ordered the faux meat dishes, they simply tasted terrible. Maybe something quirky went wrong with the food when we tried it, but we haven't been back. There are better veg-friendly restaurants in town.

Pros: Non-faux meat dishes are edible.

Cons: Not many non-faux meat dishes., Faux meat dishes taste bad.

Good variety, decent quality - Edit

I was surprised with the amount of variety on the vegetarian menu here - it's basically like you took the regular menu and made everything vegetarian. The food is of decent quality; I'm used to vegetarian Chinese restaurants in L.A., though, and this is all Davis has got as far as I know. I'd return for sure.
They seemed pretty knowledgeable when I asked about getting vegan food - I was even able to get mu shu "pork" with tofu instead of egg. The server was also really nice =)
I had no problem with uh, food integrity, unlike the previous reviewer.

Pros: variety, helpful

Cons: food itself is ok

Unfortunately this is too gross to ever return - Edit

I will attach my previous review below. However, I have to update my review. I have only been here a handful of times, but I have family who went there quite often....that is, until they got a cigarette butt in their take out. That's right, a giant cigarette butt, right in with their green beans. When they called, the owner was apologetic and did offer new food, but I don't think any of us will ever be going back. If you can find a cigarette butt in the kitchen, what else does that say about the restaurant?

Previous review: Ding How is a regular Chinese restaurant with all the standard fare you'd expect. But if you ask for it (this is key, if you don't ask, they won't give it to you), you can get a full vegetarian menu, including several pages of options. It is mostly faux meat dishes, but they did offer vegetarian noodle dishes as well, that were faux meat free. The vegetarian menu was designed much like the regular menu but everything said "vegetarian" in the front. Some dishes were Vegetarian Sweet 'n Sour Shrimp, Vegetarian Cashew Chicken, etc. The dishes were not labeled vegan, so many of those mock meats may not be vegan, so ask! Also a lot of the food is greasy, the vegetarian options are definitely not low fat. This is a good place to eat if you are with die hard meat eaters and want to be able to eat more than one thing on the menu. Hot tea was given free. Service is fast and there is plenty of seating as it isn't usually super busy. Overall a nice option for veg in the Davis area.

Pros: full vegetarian menu * one of the few options in the area * fast service
Cons: full meat menu * not labeled vegan, need to ask * greasy

Pros: veggie menu

Cons: cigarette butt in food

Return to Davis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ding How closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1656 times since Aug 2008.