de Broers van Julienne

Contact 03-2320203

Kasteelpleinstraat 45-47, Antwerp, Antwerpen, Belgium, 2000

Serves meat, vegan options available. A stylish restaurant where one can sit in the garden in the summertime. A daily special, a soup, and a few salads. Has a take-out counter. Also an organic shop.

Category: Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Marco

Delicious food, friendly service - Edit

During a recent visit for dinner, my experience here was very different to that of other reviewers who experienced poor service and other issues: the service was excellent and very friendly, and the food was very well prepared and also delicious.

I had rice cakes with fresh string beans and a thick mushroom cream, and it was a delicious blend of flavors in an understated way. I would definitely repeat. Plus, there's also the options of buying vegetarian items to take away.

Pros: Food cooked with pride, Pleasant, cozy environment

Cons: Somewhat limited vegetarian selection

Picture complete! - Edit

Very good apetizers, our family had a lot of different dishes and all of them were very tasteful. We loved to sit in the garden, the service was also good. They really know their vegetables!

Pros: Garden, Taste, Large choice on the menu

Lack of care of customers, big disappointment - Edit

Together with my boyfriend we went to have a nice meal there on Saturday early evening (around 6pm), we entered and the owner asked if we had reservation, we said that we hadn't, he said this is not a problem and asked us to go outside t sit in long tables. Both in restaurants and outside in "garden" there were small 2 persons tables, absolutely no one except us, and he told us to sit net to long wooden bar tables, the one u can find in the cheapest bars. So we asked if we can switch to one of the double tables but waiter said " i need to keep them free"... for who? During whole time we were there only 1 couple came. I was cold, I was angry and I felt like in the cheapest bad ever, i felt like they treated us like trash, we didnt even deserve table inside restaurant, or outside in normal condition. And we paid the same as any other guests. The food was ok, not worth the money... I regret eating there, they didnt care about us at all. They didnt make any effort to make our stay nice, or make us come back there. We will never come back there. I cant understand why we couldnt sit in one of 30 free tables like normal customers.... Riducous for me at least. Also interior doesnt look that nice.

Cons: Service, Food

quite normal - Edit

We ordered 2 veggie and 1 vegan dish. I expected more 'haute cuisine' because this restaurant is very famous among vegetarians but it was quite normal. Not bad but the thai stew was a Thai curry, not very spicey and the tofu had a strange structure (as if was frozen before). If you aren't expecting very special dishes it's fine, if you do I wouldn't recommend this place.

Pros: nice place, kind people

Cons: not a very exciting menu, a little bit too normal food

My last visit - Edit

Sunday August 12 I went to eat in this place with three friends. It was my last visit.
I ordered a glass of Amé, a sparkling alternative for wine. However, there was nothing sparkling about my drink. There is no way that the waitress that prepared my drink didn’t notice the sparkling was long gone. Probable the bottle has been opened a few days earlier and they didn’t want to waste the leftover in the bottle. I made a remark and got another glass.
We ordered some appetizers, but they were not available the waitress told us. So we ordered different appetizers. When we had almost finished those, a waitress came with the appetizers we first ordered and said “it turned out we had them after all”. We didn’t want to make a fuss so we just accepted them.
Next we ordered a bottle of sparkling water, the waitress came with only three glasses. In order to have some water, I had to finish my glass of Amé en use that same glass!
A few minutes later a waitress entered with French fries and stuff from a snackbar. Of course the people working in the restaurant can eat whatever they want, but for a biological restaurant to openly eat French fries and fill the whole restaurant with that smell, is at least not very sensitive.
The food was okay, not good, but okay. We deleted this restaurant from our “places-to-go” list after this visit. It is not because they have plenty of clients they can be that insensitive and downright not caring about people who come in t eat and have a nice time with their friends.

Pros: Nice interior

Cons: Not friendly, Not caring

A dissapointment - Edit

We found this place a disappointment. I had a pasta with goat cheese and tomato with tasteless vegetarian balls. It was a watery, tasteless soup with melted goat cheese in it. My friend had stuffed eggplant, which was not very tasteful. It was tastefully decorated and the thick bread with butter was delicious. My friend thought it was very uncomfortable, the device looked like a pharmacy he said. There was also some error every time on orders: bread went to the wrong tables, people had the bill of someone else ..

Pros: Delicious bread

Cons: Tasteless food, Looks like a pharmacy, Long walk from city centre

tasteful food - Edit

I have been here several times. They don't have many vegan options. But it's always tasteful.
Once my friend ordered a vegetarian quiche, but there was a big piece of fish in the quiche. They gave him a new quiche.

Pros: also take away, friendly staff, good food

Cons: Oops fish in a vegetarian quiche

wonderful vegetarian food - Edit

We had a very nice dinner at this stylish restaurant, the staff was helpfull and friendly, we ate the Nut roast with artichokes and it was very tasteful , lots of desserts and vegetable pies...really a nice place

Pros: friendly staff, nice food, beautiful garden

very disappointing - Edit

There are several vegetarian dishes on the menu (lots of quiches). I asked the waitress whether the soup of the day was vegan (I explicitely added, no cream, no cheese?), and she clearly didn't know what I was talking about. So I also inquired about the Thai stew with tofu. She replied, 'yes it's gluten free' :-/

It is an attractive venue, but with highly uncomforatble chairs (could hardly sit lunch out) and bad accoustics. It was freezing cold outside, and unfortunately also in the restaurant. Central heating wasn't working. They tried to heat the place with one or two seperate heaters, which was clearly not enough. It was cold!

I was very disappointed, as this place is supposedly famous for it's veg choices and nice venue, so I expected more knowledgeable staff and comfort.
As others have mentioned, steep prices for drinks, and overpriced food as well.
There's a big counter at the front, with many takeaway dishes. The list seemed to include a huge variety of vegetarian dishes. The waitress was also serving the counter, so I doubt whether she could have told me which dishes were vegan.

Pros: variety of vegetarian take-out

Cons: unknowledgable staff, overpriced, uncomfortable

lovely - Edit

Visited on Wed, 20th Jan and had a very high quality lunch. Main courses were excellent. Good sized portions. Decent desert. Price overall was 46 Euro for two people (two main courses, one desert, two teas, two glasses of wine). Would love to go back.

Pros: great choice, ok for non-vege, nice, bright place

Disappointing food and overpriced - Edit

I'm willing to spend money on great meal. Happily. But dining at de Broers van Julienne wasn't worth the cost or the effort of traveling to Antwerp. I had the spring strudel (goat cheese, green asparagus, courgette, carrot, tomato, potato encased in phyllo, served in a mint-pea sauce). The veggies had been stewed into oblivion (e.g. the asparagus was stringy mush) but it was the sauce that was most inedible. My sister had the corn-pasta with sweet potato, red pepper, Mexi-flavoured tomato sauce, which was a little tastier than my strudel but also very mushy. My boyfriend said his fish lasagna with pumpkin, tomato and courgette was bland. I tend to give veg-friendly restaurants the benefit of the doubt - maybe they simply had an off day? Maybe I should've ordered the quiche? But once we got the bill and saw that we were charged 7 EUR for a 1 L bottle of still water, it killed any remaining desire to return. This type of ridiculous markup is tacky profiteering and disrespectful to restaurant patrons.

Pros: Pleasant back garden dining, Friendly server

Cons: Bland, mushy food, Price-gouging on water & wine

Stylish venue - Edit

After arriving in Antwerp on Easter Sunday, we had given up hope of eating anything remotely gormet... until we found De Broers van Julienne. Being vegan, we could not eat anything on the eat-in evening menu but in the deli section they had a aubergine, spinach and setian layered dish that was vegan. We bought it to take away and it came with herbed polenta wedges and a really flavoursome red pepper sauce. The really helpful staff booked us a taxi back to our apartment and we sat in the restaurant while waiting. The decor is really stylish with huge panelled shelving filled with organic wines. Our food was really good and at around 9 euros each, very reasonable.
Unfortunately none of their cakes and desserts are vegan, a shame as they looked amazing!

Pros: friendly staff, excellent cooking

Cons: not enough vegan options

Great dinners and delicious deserts - Edit

During our stay in Antwerpen we went there twice, so we could try 4 different dishes and we liked them all. We liked the interior of the restaurant a lot too: a happy mix of history and modernity. And to top it all of, they have some great cakes for desert, which they sold from their take-out counter too.

Pros: wonderful food

Return to Antwerpen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has de Broers van Julienne closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2747 times since Aug 2007.