Chesters by the River

+44-15394-34711

Skelwith Bridge, Near Ambleside, Skelwith Bridge, England, LA22 9NJ

Cafe at Skelwith Bridge turned vegetarian Easter 2016. Serves pizzas, soups, salads, snacks and a wide variety of cakes, of which some are either vegan or could possibly be made vegan. Also has a gift shop on site (non-food). Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Pizza, International, Take-out

First Review by lblackno1

Vegan Options & Really Delicious - Edit

Chesters looks very inviting from the front, with plenty of outdoor seating, for the warmer weather, but on our visit it was freezing and although there was a ten minute wait for a table, it was definitely worth it. There is a large shop, which sells wines and beers, trinkets, ornaments, stationery and there is even a very tempting takeaway, with a huge display of cakes.

The menu has plenty vegan options, with many cakes, all clearly labelled, even wines by the glass or bottle.

I chose the butternut squash and chickpea kebabs, with chips and to be honest, I had no idea what to expect. When the dish arrived, I was so happy, the dish looked spectacular on the plate and the chips looked perfect too.
I loved my lunch, every single thing about it, the cashew dressing was delicious, especially when you dunked the kebab or the gorgeous chips in it. The salad was tossed in a tasty dressing, with the crunch of pomegranate and the dish was sprinkled with sumac, I was totally impressed, although I was far too full for cake, maybe next trip.

I had read reviews on Tripadvisor about Chesters By The River, how customers of old, were not happy with it now being vegetarian, but the place was packed with customers of all age groups, so they must be doing something right and the food is the reason why, it is wonderful.

I cannot wait to return and try some of their other vegan options.

Pros: Vegan options, Vegan cakes, Vegan wines

Good first time - BAD second time! - Edit

My husband, dog and I have been visiting the Lake District and staying in Coniston. I found this place on happy cow and we decided to give it a go. It's so cute!! Dog friendly and vegetarian with lots of vegan options. We shared a vegan chocolate torte and a vegan scone. Apparently they have oat milk for their coffee and tea. There's also a nice gift shop with a ton of veggie and vegan cook books and lots of other nice gift things. Staff were very friendly and made a fuss of our little dog. We might go back for some of their vegan stone baked pizzas. They stop serving food at 3pm apparently, although it is my understanding cake is on offer until closing time. We visited on a week day and still had to wait to be seated but it was worth it.

UPDATE: We returned today, a few days after our initial visit, and ordered two vegan pizzas that looked so good on our first visit. We waited to be seated again but were excited for a yummy lunch. Once we ordered we waited at least 25 mins before the waiter comes over and tells us we can't have pizza any more due to a problem with the oven and said we could order something else or get a refund. Since it was a 15 min drive back to our holiday accommodation we decided to order something else. My husband ordered a dhaal with a flatbread and I ordered a butternut squash and chickpea kebab. We assumed our order would remain in the same place in the queue of orders, but everyone else was receiving their food and we still had nothing. After nearly an hour after initially placing our order our food came, we were offered an extra tea each on the house. This was especially welcomed since I had paid more for my pizza than the thing I ordered so I basically overpaid by £1 (decided it wasn't worth the fuss at the time). My husbands portion was a fair size - dhaal, two small flatbreads and a cauliflower curry, but mine was two small chickpea sausages and the same side salad my husband got, AND it tasted very bland. I was SO disappointed because our first trip was so good and I had such high expectations. Finally, they forgot our side of chips and we had to ask for it and they gave us the horrible end bits whilst everyone else got big fluffy chips. No one checked back on us, as a long term waitress I know when you have messed up someones order you should be checking back multiple times. So we had no one to even tell our order wasn't any good. We ate and left with a sour taste in our mouths!

If you make the trip, go for cake and tea!

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-25

Pros: Dog Friendly, Vegan Cake & Oat milk, Pretty location

Cons: Service could be better, Needs tastier & larger lunch meals

Beautiful setting and great cakes! - Edit

Went here with my family not knowing that it had all become veggie. We were a party of veggies, vegans and an omnivore. There was a great selection of salads, soups, pizzas, cakes etc. many of which were vegan or could be made vegan upon request. And all of which was delicious!

Really friendly staff and a stunning location with loads of walks nearby. We sat on a table overlooking the river. We will definitely be back!

Pros: Large selection of savoury food, 2-3 vegan cakes, loads of veggie cakes, Beautiful setting

Cons: Very popular so busy!

Return to Skelwith Bridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chesters by the River closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.