Chennai Kitchen

• Vegetarian
Contact 022341266

107/4 Thanon Pan, Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok, Thailand, 10500

Vegetarian Indian restaurant, in 2015 moved into this space at approx. 100 m from the Indian Temple. On the menu are South Indian meals: thalis, dosas, vada, Madras coffee, masala tea, and more.

Category: Lacto, Indian

First Review by rheb

Nice Indian food on veg-friendly street - Edit

Nice food and the owner spoke good English and understood vegan, which was helpful. Unfortunately we felt a bit pushed into having their Thali (mixed plate, the one in the main photo), which was a bit more expensive, when I would have liked to try a dosa. It was nice enough but not my recommended dish.

Good South Indian - Edit

The Chennai kitchen is simple, small restaurant located on a street with several other veggie/vegan options. I enjoyed the thali (150 bhat) and a mango lassi (80 bhat). Indian families were eating at two other tables, which is a good recommendation.

Pros: Cheap and cheerful, Good, authentic South Indian food

Cons: Microwave oven can be seen in kitchen

New location - Edit

I came to this restaurant several times when it was in it's original location, and although I enjoyed it, I agree with some previous reviews that it was a little dirty.

When exactly it moved in not sure, but it's now on a different premises on the same street (directly opposite Bonita), which is far, far cleaner and aesthetically pleasing.

The menu and the pricing are exactly the same as before, so you can expect to pay the same money, for the same delicious Indian food. But it's a far more welcoming place to sit now. I enjoyed it.

I Eat Here Every Trip To Bangkok - Edit

I love the food here, worked my way round the small photo wall menu. The thali is delicious and filling. The sweet lassi is a must have with every meal and I dream of the masala dosa and the poori with potato. The owner is quiet but friendly, he sometimes explains the menu. Often local Indians eat here, always a good sign. I've eaten here so many times.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 31, 2014

Pros: Delicious, Inexpensive, Friendly

I didn't like it - Edit

The place seems a bit dirty. From where I was sitting I could see a very dirty glass door separating a kitchen not so different.
The guy understood that we were vegan and recommended us 2 dishes. It was ok, but small for the price (one of them 150 and another 90 bath). I asked for not so spicy and he told me the dishes were not spicy... but it was (quite much actually).
For Bangkok I would say they have moderate prices.

Pros: it's vegetarian, indian food

Cons: A bit pricey, not clean

A Satisfying Meal - Edit

A bit on the dirty side, but generally acceptable flavours. The locals just dive in with their bare hands, so it can be a bit offputting watching adults slovenly bear into wet rice and soup with their fingers... The owner is very polite and seemed genuinely interested in making sure I was satisfied. I had to do some clever pantomime to ensure the absence of dairy, but the meal was served nonetheless with a side of yoghurt. He took it away, but the waste of it is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I'm also still adjusting to what appears to be a total lack of any food prep regulations or cleanliness standards. The state of this place is not atypical of Thailand, but it stills merits a mention.

Pros: Taste, Gracious Owner

Superb South Indian - Edit

I must say I was surprised to read the few negative reviews suggesting this was an ordinary restaurant serving overpriced food. I do know South Indian cuisine very well, having lived in South India and travelled there many times in addition to sampling south Indian cuisine in many countries of the world. I also know the restaurant scene in Bangkok very well, having lived here for many years. And believe me, this small vegetarian restaurant is indeed a gem, certainly the best South Indian in Bangkok. Yes, the owner will help you out with the menu, which may seem confusing to those not accustomed to South Indian food. And the thali is an excellent first time option since it allows you to sample a variety of dishes. The food is indeed prepared fresh and is scrumptious. The price by Bangkok standards, which are lower than European or North American prices, is relatively inexpensive.

Pros: Excellent authentic South Indian food, Very good value for money, Very helpful and friendly service

Cons: Opening times are a little restrictive, Restaurant closes for various festivals

Best S. Indian in town - Edit

One of my favourite restaurants in Bangkok and hands down my fave for Indian. I usually get the thali, which is a great variety and plenty filling for B150. On Mon. & Tues., they make pesarattu, a dosa with green lentil in the crepe. So good! On the weekend they do a brilliant parota and kuruma. I was pretty unfamiliar with south lndian cuisine but the owners helped me out early on, and now l feel pretty confident with whatever l order. This is a real gem!

Pros: Friendly, Good value, Great location near Wat Kaek

Cons: If you're hungry btw 3 & 6, forget it

mehhh... - Edit

Very uninspired food by a nice woman. The guy (husband?) couldn't be bothered to explain what some of the more obscure Indian named things in the Thali were, which fair enough, is perhaps difficult to explain. He proceeded to sit in front of his laptop and space out.

I came here because I was hungry but even so the food was quite average at best. Portions were average. Price on food was average but on drinks was high.

Pros: it's vegetarian, polite

Cons: poor value, uninspired

A Great South Indian Restaurant - Edit

I have visited this small restaurant a few times and I've always had great food there. I usually opt for the South Indian Thali, which costs 150 baht (GBP3, USD4.50). If you're new to South Indian food it gives a good overview of the different dishes. The menu is still a bit confusing to me, as I'm not used to all the foods, but I am learning. So I will visit more often and find out more about South Indian food. The thali isn't vegan but they will make it vegan if you ask.

The food is hot and freshly cooked.

Pros: Tasty Food, Inexpensive, Friendly

Cons: Not 100% Vegan, Closed 3-6pm

fatastic - Edit

went on a very quiet friday night. a selection of dosa and south indian delights on offer.
the owner was really nice, and took great delight in picking my faults in the way i ate my food. the food was great, really tasty and fresh. cost was about 3gbp per person, this included mango lassi, so a good deal.
i went back for lunch, and decided to up my grade to five cows. i had a dosa, it was fantastic, do the same,

Pros: nice owner, clean

Great - Edit

Went here foo lunch while on our honeymoon. its not a fancy restaurant - but the food is fantastic. Very good vegetarian indian food. non need to be a veg' to go there. the taste is comparable on India. Prices are cheap and serive is genuine. a must visit.

Pros: tastey food, good prices

Great place, highly recommend - Edit

This place is definitely one of my top 3 favorite restaurants in Bangkok. Nothing fancy by any means, but the food is amazing and the owners are super nice. Try the 'mysore rava masala' dosa or the thali set meal. Although the menu is limited, the dishes that they do serve are done perfectly everytime. Highly recommend if you are in the area.

Pros: excellent food, friendly owners

Cons: atmosphere, limited menu

Excellent food, and great owners - Edit

I eat here every time I visit Bangkok, and am always pleased by the dosas, iddly, puri, and lassis. The food is very good, and the owners are incredibly friendly. Tastes very authentic!

Pros: Great food, Very friendly owners

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Chennai Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6300 times since Aug 2007.