Barat

17 Lorong Kurau, Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Vegetarian Mediterranean restaurant. Savory menu items can be vegan on request, and vegan dessert options include brownies and sorbet. With 2-3 days advanced notice, will make vegan cheese to use in your dishes. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Wed 6:30pm-11:30pm, Thu 6:30pm-11:00pm, Fri 6:30am-11:30pm, Sat 6:30pm-11:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mediterranean

First Review by Spaghetti_monster

Amazing vegan options! - Edit

I’ve been here several times now and will continue to visit them whenever I can. If you’re not in a rush, order 2-3 days ahead and they can make vegan cheese balls and cheese stuffed peppers. Perfection!

Service: Very friendly and as far as I can tell, all staff know what “vegan” entails. Proactive with suggestions as to what can be veganized! Chef Lingesh seems to always be up for experimenting and is very passionate about supporting local (Farm-to-Table,...)

Food: As mentioned above, if you have a few days before your visit, then definitely call ahead. If you don’t, they’ll be able to veganize several dishes for you on the spot. (Ginger pumpkin soup and Pistachio Carbonara are my absolute suggestions!)

Atmosphere/surroundings: Very relaxed vibe, acoustic background music, a few outdoor seating options!

Hygiene: Very clean, kitchen seems very clean (from what you can see when you walk into the restaurant). Have not yet visited the restrooms.

Parking: They now have FREE valet parking for both lunch AND dinner shifts!

Side note! They have now opened KL’s first vegan bar upstairs. Vegan afterwork drinkies? Yes, please!

Pros: Free valet parking,, Knowledgeable staff

Cons: closed between lunch and dinner

Wonderfully welcoming to vegans! - Edit

I had the pleasure of going to Barat for dinner last night, and it was wonderful.
The service was friendly, and my friends and I were made to feel very welcome. On hearing that all three of us were vegan, our server explained that all savoury dishes could be made vegan, which was a very pleasant surprise!
We opted to share some starters - a delicious pumpkin soup, watermelon gazpacho and the sun-dried tomato pesto (served on Japanese cucumber). Everything was delicious, and the soup portion size was particularly generous! For mains we had the patatas bravas burger, spiced couscous and pistachio carbonara (all made vegan - the carbonara was excellent, one of the best vegan carbonaras I've had!).
I'm throughly looking forward to going back (and booking a few days in advance so that I can enjoy some of their homemade vegan cheese!). The 11 course degustation menu looked incredible, too

Update:
I have since tried the degustation menu (complete with vegan cheese) and it was excellent! The cheese balls with pineapple jam were incredible and patatas bravas dish with a cheese-stuffed pepper was delicious - I would very happily order a large plate of each (oh and the pistachio carbonara). RM 125 for 11 dishes - good value for a special occasion.

Updated from previous review on 2017-04-04

Pros: Very vegan friendly., Relaxed, light and airy environment., Delicious food.

Cons: Need to book 2-3 in advance for vegan cheese.

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Barat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.