The Ganga Cafe

19 Lorong Kurau (at Jalan Bangsar Pertama (Old Bangsar)), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 59100

Vegetarian restaurant, previously known as Prem Ki Ganga Cafe and Deli. Uses vegetables from its own farm. South Indian vegetarian cuisine with Gujarati flavors and Malaysian local fare. Sunday brunch buffet (all you can eat for a fixed price) 10am-3pm. Vegans: please ask a member of staff to point out the non-vegan (ghee/yoghurt/milk/paneer containing) options. Open Mon-Sat 6:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Indian, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by AndyT

Lots of vegan options at the Sunday brunch buffet - Edit

Due to a previous review stating that there were not many options for vegans, I called ahead to ask about vegan options at the Sunday brunch buffet. The first person I spoke to didn’t understand what I meant, but then a conversation took place between him and someone else, and he assured me that yes, the buffet had plenty of vegan options - I would need to just ask someone to point them out.

When I arrived I spoke to someone behind the counter, and asked if they could show me the vegan dishes. This person wasn’t sure/didn’t seem to understand, but got the attention of an older gentleman who may have been the owner/manager. He was very knowledgeable and quickly explained which dishes contained yoghurt, milk, paneer or ghee. There were only about 2-3 dishes and a couple of dips that were not vegan, everything else was (5 types of curry, a range of breads, popadoms, salad, sauces, bite-sized fried goodies, etc.). You can go up and help yourself to more as many times as you like - the buffet price is now RM 25 (an earlier review said 21) - still very good value if you go with an empty stomach!

We also ordered some drinks, which were very sweet (the cashier advised us to ask for less/no sugar next time - sugar comes as standard). My partner did ask for no sugar, but his drink order was forgotten and when it finally came (after more than half an hour) it was super sweet. The drinks were also quite pricey - RM 12 for a virgin mojito that tasted like lemonade with a squeeze of lime and a few mint leaves.

I really wanted to give The Ganga Cafe 5 stars, but I can see how having to ask about vegan options could be off-putting for some (nothing is labelled so it comes down to trust), and although I had a good experience overall, we waited a long time for a drink which contained sugar (despite asking for no sugar), and the knowledge of the staff (in terms of vegan options) was inconsistent. My advice to vegans would be to try and speak to the owner or someone who looks like they’re in charge.

Pros: lots of vegan options at the buffet, good value for money (buffet)

Cons: staff knowledge inconsistent , pricey, sugar-heavy drinks

Great Gujarati food - Edit

Ordered a thali. The chapatis were thin, the rasam was way better than most South Indian places and the service was quick.

Pros: Good, tasty Indian vegetarian food

Cons: Mostly Indian food, its vegetarian food - not nece

Sunday brunch buffet not for vegans - Edit

I was only there on a Sunday for the brunch buffet, so my review is just based on that. Although I heard that they have knowledge about veganism and offer vegan options, I found that not to be true. I asked a guy in English if there is anything suitable for vegans. He did not know what veganism was, so I explained to him what things I can't eat, but still got not a proper answer. Then my boyfriend asked someone else in Hindi and he also got no satisfying answer. I had to stick to rice and salad in the end. I found that they were really unfriendly and did not even try to help. All-you-can-eat-buffet was 21 RM per person. Buffet was quite big with a lot of varieties of bread, rice, curries and fried stuff. Maybe okay for vegetarians, although my vegetarian boyfriend (he is Indian, so he has some knowledge about indian cuisine) found it not good neither.
Would not recommend it!

Pros: quite big buffet

Cons: unfriendly stuff, expensive, not suitable for vegans

Nice Indian Vegetarian restaurant w/ vegan options - Edit

Ganga cafe (named after the Indian river also known as Ganges) is a "hidden gem", a nice little open cafe situated in "Old Bangsar", close to Lucky Garden and Jalan Bukit Pantai.

They offer a lot of different bread-based Indian vegetarian food with some local options and a few international options. If you come here during lunchtime, you will appreciate that they obviously do have a lot of loyal fans, who come here often and make the restaurant a busy place.

I tried Roti Chanai, Roti Puri, Roti Paratha, Masala Thosai and the Ayurvedic Chapatti, and all were very nice and tasty, with definitely above-average curry/vegetable sauces. They also have two burgers, the smaller "Vada Pav" and the larger "Ganga Burger" (see picture). The Ganga burger is unfortunately not vegan as the patty does contain cheese.

On Sundays, they offer a Buffet lunch where you can try out all the different breads and sauces for RM 16. If you leave them your email address, they will update you in advance on the dishes available.

The food here definitely is on the spicy side, so watch out if you are sensitive to that. On the sunday buffet, they also do have some non-spicy options, because many Ex-pats with children come there often.

They do use dairy milk and ghee in some of their dishes and honey in some of their drinks, but if you do tell them, they are willing to prepare the food without.

All in all I have been there a few times and was always very happy, and am looking forward to trying out their Sunday buffet.

Pros: Good taste, Moderate prices, Wide variety of bread-based dishes

Cons: Vegan options not marked

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Ganga Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.