Astroburger

Contact 323-469-1924

5601 Melrose Ave (at Gower), Hollywood, California, USA, 90038

Serves meat, vegan options available. Burgers and fries, and Greek food in an American diner setting. Has a separate vegetarian menu offering burgers with Gardenburger brand soy protein patty, vegan ribs, soy cheese, and non-dairy milk options. Fresh orange and apple juice available. Veg food is cooked on separate grills and woks. Has drive-thru. Mon-Thu 7:00am-1:00am, Fri-Sun 9:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Greek, Non-veg

First Review by christopher byron

I tried Astroburger - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and came her for lunch once. Here's my Astroburger review.

It's quite a sight from the outside. A burger joint with a huge blue star sign sticking straight up in the air 2 stories high. You can miss it. On Melrose Ave just east of Larchmont Blvd but not in the trendy shopping area.

Astroburger's attempt to provide an alternative to meat burgers is noteworthy and deserves praise, but the food is ultimately conventional American burger joint kind of food.

The vegetarian offerings are prominently displayed on the menu and on signs by the order counter. On the day I went, the special-of-the-day were both veggie based.

The vegetarian items are plenty with several ones marked as vegan. The primarily feature is the Gardenburger brand patty. I ordered the flame grilled gardenburger (marked vegan) with a side of french fries.

The fries were piping hot and tasty.

The burger, however, was blah. I'm used to making fancy veggie burgers at home or eating them at pure veg establishments, so to get a brown TVP patty (textured soy/vegetable protein) gave me a blah feeling. TVP is not so easy to digest, either. However, to give credit, the patty had a decent savory flavor.

Vegan mayonaise is available for extra 70 cents. If you don't order that, then your burger will come dry: wheat buns, iceburg lettuce, tomato slice, TVP patty.

The food is cheap and fast. The interior has a old school diner feel. There's even a drive-thru! And you can get a fresh squeeze apple or orange juice. So not too bad.

Pros: offers alternative to meat, hot fries

Cons: Non-organic

quick meal - Edit

We finally ate at Astroburger as we needed to have a quick meal in the area. The vegetarian menu is fairly extensive, but the vegan items are far fewer. The menu board notes which items are vegan. We had the flame grilled burger and the chik'n burger as well as a side of chili fries. You could make the burgers at home, so nothing special. The chili on the fries was bean and lentil based, so something different. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way, but it's convenient and quick if you're in the neighborhood.

Pros: quick service

Cons: limited vegan menu

Good for vegetarians - Edit

This review is based on two visits about 4-5 years ago, when I was vegetarian. I always remembered their veggie ham sandwich, it was so good that I made a return visit during my one week vacation. I'm not sure that this sandwich is vegan (I doubt it is), but it may be worth a phone call to find out. Overall, I'd say this is more of a gritty, but good, fast food place. Definitely check this place out if you're vegetarian or traveling with a non-veg friend so that both of you can get what you want.

Cons: Possible cross-contamination

Love their veggie burgers! - Edit

This is a favorite spot when I find myself in LA late at night. They're open pretty late, and the veggie burgers are great! I'm not so much a fan of the their veggie dogs, but my daughter loves them, so it could be just me. Their fries and onion rings are really good, too.

Pros: great veggie bugers, great fries, cheap

Return to Hollywood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Astroburger closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1286 times since Aug 2009.