Cafe Gratitude - Hollywood

• Vegetarian
Contact 323-580-6383

639 N Larchmont Blvd, Hollywood, California, USA, 90004

A trendy, raw-food focused, abundance concept restaurant that's part of the Cafe Gratitude restaurants from San Francisco. This one is situated just a walk north of Larchmont Village. Offers both cooked as well as raw cuisine. Extensive smoothies and juices menu, raw desserts. Vegan except for bee products.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by Sonja and Dirk

Owners are Not Vegan! - Edit

I have eaten here numerous times and love their food. BUT I have read the recent news that the owners run a ranch in Northern California where they butcher and eat cows. I don't want my money to support these hypocrites in any way. Unfortunately I will never eat at their restaurants again.

Cons: owners raise, slaughter and eat animals

BOYCOTT these shameful animal killing hypocrites! - Edit

These hypocrites are not vegan, please boycott their business, use your money to support real vegans not crazy cult members that kill animals.Here's how they how they use God and pseudo-science to justify killing:Perhaps I’ve e failed to explain adequately why I would pursue the path of eating flesh after 40 years of vegetarianism. The answer is non-violence but non-violence to the whole system, all species. Agriculture is most violent destructive force on the planet. It has caused the extinction of more species then any other activity. Earth balance margarine is made from Canadian canola. Organic or not this product required a plow to destroy Canadian prairie an act of violence against burrowing owls, ferrets, prairie dogs, dozens of insect and bird species. If that prairie had been maintained in grassland with well managed cows or buffalo those species would not be killed or displaced.30% of the world’s surface is grasslands, Grasslands need herds of ruminants to thrive, when they are removed, the grasslands degenerate into desert. Desertification is violence against all species including humans. The conflict in Syria and Iraq can be easily tied to desertification, mismanaged soil. Herding ruminants are our best tool to restore fertility to the earth, keep the earth covered, and reverse desertification and climate change. If I knew of a better or even another solution, I would choose it. We need cows to keep the earth alive, cows make an extreme sacrifice for humanity but that is their position in God’s plan as food for the predators. Cows maintain the grass, predators maintain the herd by culling the weak and sick. We can be part of that sacrament. Sacrifice is part of life. As in the passion of Christ, we all have to spill our blood for humanity to know the Father. The cow’s sacrifice was been ordained, ours we must...

Cons: Hypocrites, Use your money to kill animals, Crazy cult that blames God for their sin

One of the best! - Edit

After visiting the Venice location I came to this location and again from beginning to end this place was incredible. The wait staff are knowledgable and happy to help and the kitchen staff know how to make amazing food!

We ordered the eggplant burger and tacos. Devine! We were even supplied a ingredient booklet of everything on the menu so we could rule out all food no nos (which between my friend and I we have a lot of).

Cafe Gratitude appears to be consistent with their great level of staff in all areas. Very happy customer!!!

Pros: Extensive menu , List of ingredients

Cons: Too expensive to eat here everyday (I wish I could

Really Freakin Good - Edit

My absolute favorite vegan place to eat. Great ambiance, nice staff, many options, amazing food. I could seriously go on and on. Literally everything here is delicious, you cannot go wrong. If people hype this place up, it's because they seriously deserve it. You pay a pretty penny but it is all worth it.

Pros: vegan, so many options, pretty clean

Cons: wish they were everywhere

Interesting Place, good Healthy food! - Edit

Something to say about LA. If you go to a real vegan dinning place than they really care for good healthy food. Whole food not too oily often with raw food kitchen options.
I was very happy to go in this restaurant and got tasty great good food!
I didn't know so much about the background but the waitres give us a tip with the question of the day "where are you grateful for?" After a little chat he told us about the philosophy from the restaurant. And than we figured out how much love is in this restaurant.
Good place to come back
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 18, 2015

Pros: good food, great peacefull place, location

the ultimate vegan experience - Edit

you could eat here for a month everyday , have everyday a different choice from the menu. and still find out new things.
it's that good !
these people here understand what means vegan .
the variety is endless.
the food is excellent.
and if you are lucky you sit next to a famous actor, they like to come here.
this city has a problem , too many excellent vegan places. a luxury problem that makes me feel comfortable.

Pros: fabulous menu variety, first class food, service with a smile

Cons: extremely popular place so busy , could be little cheaper, not a walking distance from centre

Can't go wrong with them - Edit

My boyfriend and I came here for dinner while visiting and had a fantastic evening. We've been to the Venice location before, so we kind of knew what to expect. This time we tried out different things - the raw collard wraps, the corn tostadas off the seasonal specials, and raw mushroom pizza. Everything was delicious. The food was light and refreshing, and they used 100% organic ingredients (or at least so they claimed). Yet, they managed to keep the prices very reasonable. Did I mention they had amazing desserts? We got their signature tiramisu and I dare say it was quite possibly one of the best desserts I'd ever had. Alternate bites between this and the super-dark cocoa truffle sent us to a state of bliss.

The place wasn't very big and could get filled up pretty fast. Try and call for reservations if you don't see any openings online - that's how we secured our table.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Healthy, delicious food

Delicious food, lame menu item names - Edit

The kelp noodle dish was amazing, but I can't remember what it's called because everything on the menu has an unrelated affirming name, like "I Am Amazing".

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Not inexpensive

Vegan food and drinks - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow when it first opened years back and have dined here three times so far, most recently Sept 2013. Here's my Cafe Gratitude Los Angeles review update.

The scene here is always busy and noisy. It's a popular place, overflowing with diners both on the outdoor dining deck and inside. It's located on Larchmont, very close to Melrose Ave. The decor is modern and trendy with clean lines, dark oak tables, and bright with tall glass windows.

From the starter menu, I've tried the "I am connected" guacamole and flax crackers. The crackers are spiced and crunchy.

For mains, I've tried:
- the "I am elated" raw enchiladas served with a creamy chipotle coleslaw, $13. Interesting taste with a sunflower nut filling.
- the cooked "I am transformed" corn tacos with brown rice black beans and side salad, $11. Yummy.
- the cooked "I am fortified" bowl of quinoa topped with sesame-ginger sauce over steamed seasonal greens, $12. Warm and hearty.
- the "I am heavenly" polenta with a tomato sauce, $13. Satisfying.

From the raw specialties, we've tried the hemp pesto kelp noodle (forgot the name), $13. Very tasty, nice crunch to the kelp noodle, a bit more salty than I like.

Overall, the food presentation is nice and the taste good. The restaurant gets very busy on the weekends, so expect a wait. Or you could find a seat at the bar.

For dessert (everything is raw), we've tried the tiramisu cake, $8 or 9; mint chocolate pie, $8 or 9; and the "I am grace" smoothie (coconut milk, almond butter, date, vanilla bean), $8.

While the sweets were not cheap, the food tastes good and healthy.

Pros: smoothies, nice space, menu variety

Cons: gets pricey, juices are pre-made

Amazing - Edit

The San Francisco location used to be my favorite restaurant, and this is such a delight to go to when I happen to be in Los Angeles. The food is amazing, the staff is very friendly, and it is a beautiful building.

Raw food can be hit or miss, but nothing can really compare to Cafe Gratitude.

What a vegan restaurant should aspire to be - Edit

I was AMAZED by Cafe Gratitude. First, the greeting at the door was kind, warm and welcoming and by more than one staffer! They showered my gf with compliments on her vegan shoes. The place is just amazing, brand new, stylish yet comfortable. The menu contains many healthy cooked items that are all customizable. Everyone is so conscious about various methods of vegan eating. The tacos and veggie burger were both of top notch quality. I found myself eating every last morsel of veggie on the plate. Don't miss out on the I Am Luscious date/fig/cacao/hazelnut milk smoothie for a treat, they'll split it for two!

Pros: everything! , highest quality of food, amazing location

tasty and healthy - Edit

We checked out Cafe Gratitude for a late lunch on Saturday and it was still pretty busy, but we had no problem getting seated. They have indoor seating as well as an outdoor patio where we sat. Overall, the decor is clean, modern and sleek. They have a small parking lot, but it was full, so we just parked on the street. They also have a sit down diner counter inside as well as a little store area. I saw honey for sale in the store, but the menu and the waitress both noted that the food is vegan.

AS for the food, each table already has a water bottle on it when you arrive. The menu is separated between starters, raw and cooked items. We started with the "I Am Grounded" which is roasted potatoes with a spicy nacho cashew cheese. The potatoes were perfectly roasted and the sauce was very creamy, but definitely on the spicy side. We also shared a "I Am Eternally Blessed" shake which is a espresso milkshake and it was extremely yummy! For entrees, we had the "I Am Fortified" (roasted veggie bowl with kale and quinoa) and the "I Am Extraordinary" (a BLT panini). The bowl was very flavorful and the BLT was very unique with sauteed maple coconut. We ended the meal with the raw tiramisu which was very good as well. All the food was tasty and healthy. We left filling full, but energized. We highly recommend checking out this latest addition to the LA vegan scene.

Pros: tasty and healthy, raw and cooked, great shakes

Cons: small parking lot

Return to Hollywood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Gratitude - Hollywood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5690 times since Feb 2011.