Alpine Bakery

• Vegetarian
Contact 867-668-6871

411 Alexander St, Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada, Y1A 2L8

Bakery cafe making an extensive bread and baked goods selection. Serves lunch food (pizza without cheese, daily soup) with a few raw food items. Has a small retail area selling granola, yogurt, and hummus made from scratcc. Does not use egg. Has Wi-Fi.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Canadian

First Review by trena irving

Okay - Edit

I lived in the Yukon for 5 years and was vegan for 2 of those years and vegetarian the whole time and only visited Alpine Bakery a handful of times and purchased something twice. The prices were extremely high, even for being in the Yukon. I had a piece of raw cheesecake one time and that was good but nothing special for the cost and also had a vegan slice of pizza and it was again okay, nothing special. I think it is far more economical to make your own items but it's still nice Whitehorse has a place that offers vegan/vegetarian food.

Pros: Vegan items

Cons: Expensive

Not outstanding, but decent - Edit

The only decent vegan option in Whitehorse.
Apart from delicious breads and all kind of bakery stuff they offer some freshly squeezed juices, cookies, a daily soup, pizza (slices), several tee/coffee varieties and a notable range of all kind of ecological and fair trade stuff, like lots of soy products, some cosmetics, hand-braided baskets from somewhere in Africa, some special bread knifes and so on.
All sweets are vegan. However, some of the bakery stuff has cheese in it.
The daily soup is always vegan and has a very good value. It goes with delicious bread which was made just a few steps beside it.
Wi-Fi wasn't working while I was there, but that might have been just an temporarily issue/default.
Often times I can be pretty crowded, since each customer gets all the special assistance and attendance he needs.
The service was quite remarkable. The shop assistant, a young woman, was one of the most friendliest imaginable.
Overall the food wasn't very special, but the service was superb and - as mentioned - there are no other decent options in Whitehorse.

Yummmmmm!!! - Edit

My husband (omnivore) and I (vegan) traveled to Whitehorse recently and I had of course used Happy Cow to look up places I could eat while there. So we went to Alpine Bakery our first day there and then continued to eat there for every meal for the rest of the time we were in Whitehorse. The first time we both had their pizza (mine was vegan, his vegetarian), he likes veggies but is a bit of a picky eater, but their food was loved by both of us:) The second day I had fresh juice and a avocado sandwich (then bought 2 for the road) and he had a fresh cinnamon roll and a huge latte. The soup was also amazing and also huge. My husband also had some bread sticks that he loved. They also had a small selection of grocery items along with some of their homemade hummus in containers to go. They have bread made there and all of their sweets were vegan (I had a very delicious brownie). As usual with any trip I take one of the highlights is when I can actually find some great vegan food...especially kind of in the middle of nowhere:) Highly recommended...oh and their staff was friendly and helpful too!

Pros: Lots of great vegan food, Friendly people, Fresh juice

Cons: They don't have one in my town:), Only open until 6PM , Closed two days of the week

vegan oasis on the Alcan highway - Edit

Whole grain breads, Calzones, Pizza, soups, cookies, muffins, scones, "cheese sticks," cranberry smoothies, raw salads and deserts -- we loved everything we tried. The hiking bread is to die for. We always route through Whitehorse when the alpine is open to stock up with food for days on the road. But, their food is so delicious I wish they would open a branch in my home town. If you can't make it to the Yukon order one of there holiday fruit cakes on line. Everything is vegan and delicious!

Pros: 100% Vegan, Delicious, Organic and fair trade items

Cons: not open Sunday and Monday

alpine bakery in Whitehorse, Yukon - Edit

This eatery is vegan and run by a very environmental, health conscious family. They make delicious breads, veggie soups, veggie sushi and all kinds of baked goods such as cookies, samosas, pizzas and cakes. They also sell health food and yummy homemade chocolates. I enjoy eating at this restaurant and recommend it to anybody who craves good vegan home cooked food for a reasonable price. It is my favorite restaurant in Whitehorse, especially during the cold winter months when you can get a savory soup and bread lunch which warms your body and your tastebuds exquisitely.

Pros: excellent food, organic and fair trade, environmental

Return to Whitehorse Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Alpine Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 909 times since Sep 2008.