Wei Hong Fook

• Vegetarian
Contact +852-28971123

Shop S119, 2/F, Chai Wan Market, 338 Chai Wan Road, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China, 852

維康福 is a small, Cantonese-style combined vendor of ready-to-eat take away food and a health food shop, at Chai Wan Market. Sells mock meats, spring rolls plus a selection of frozen food. English spoken.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out, Cantonese

First Review by JohnnySensible

Wei Hong Fook, Hong Kong - Edit

I went here a few months ago. I arrived as they were closing . They gave me a free take away despite my efforts to have them take some cash.

I spun along today. There's 2 parts. One is that they do ready to eat take away food. The 2nd part is more like a health food shop with a small freezer with mock meats. They do sell other food products as well.

A girl named Kristen speaks decent English. She also instantly understood when asked if they had anything vegan. I had a look at what they had ready to eat. They started sticking things in front of me to try. That included that they had a steamer going with veggies cooking in it ready to go into the bean curd sheets to then be fried in the wok. So there were things popping up for me to try at no cost to me.

I picked something to go into my take away; a couple of the mock meats and a couple of the spring rolls. They charged me 10 bucks honky for this. Other places around the island I've been to charge 30 odd bucks for this. I tried to get them to take more as there's no way they can keep a business going charging this sort of price but they were having none of it.

Then when they twigged I was going to eat it now, they invited me in behind the counter where they have a stool and small table that they use for themselves. This was great. Next they were offering me tea but I plumped instead for water. So they gave me a bottle of mineral water and again wouldn't charge me for it. Then they were bringing other things over and adding them on to my food pile for me to try. Again at no cost. Then there was a Satsuma stuck in front of for a little dessert. I have never encountered this anywhere before. Kristen was very polite and friendly and she said to me that they weren't bothered about making profit from this, they were just happy to show people how good vegetarian food can be.

After this I stocked up on a few things from the freezer to take home. Thankfully they take money for this (otherwise this would not be a sustainable business model). They said if I tried anything and didn't like it I could it back and swap it for something else.

There's a statuette of a wise Chinese old man who I think is a religious / philosophical figure. If the people in this family run place believe in a happy afterlife then their place there is guaranteed.

I left feeling completely uplifted.

As a small bonus the location is in Chai Wan market, huge selection of fruit / veg, bean curds, bean sprouts etc.

Pros: Very friendly people, Very inexpensive, Great food.

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Wei Hong Fook closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 995 times since Aug 2010.